PDA

View Full Version : Great lens, no bids?!?

Richard K.
11-Dec-2004, 12:42
Just curious why no one is bidding on this Fuji 450mm CMW lens (their latest model) on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30076&item=3858802842&rd=1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30076&item=3858802842&rd=1)

It looks to be in great condition and the price is a little over 1/3 of new. It is sharp, covers 11x14/7x17 (520mm IC) and is not exceedingly heavy. I have nothing at all to do with the seller but just wish that this had been available at that price before I paid $2200 for mine! When I see the prices that old lenses of dubious coverage seem to command, I just don't get this...

Gem Singer
11-Dec-2004, 12:54
Hi Richard,

I'm only guessing at the reason why nobody is bidding, but perhaps it's due to the fact that even though the lens is a CM-W, it's still a previously owned Fuji that is being sold by the Columbus Camera Group. Check out their reputation for standing behind their merchandise.

Bill_1856
11-Dec-2004, 13:42
No bids until the last moment don't mean much on a really specialized item like this.

Ling Z
11-Dec-2004, 14:08
A brand new Fujinon-C 450mm lens costs $895.00 only, and it's mounted on a Copal #1 shutter. It's much lighter and has huge IC.

Also, the lens on eBay does not have an aperture scale.

John C Murphy
11-Dec-2004, 14:11
First of all, selling on ebay is notoriously unpredictable. Sometimes everybody wants your item, sometimes you have to relist it twice to get one bidder. Secondly, I've been watching ebay for Fujinon lenses, and I would not bid on that particular item because the sellar has too many sales. I know that sounds funny, but my experience has been that professional ebayers are not as good to deal with as regular guys.

Glenn Kroeger
11-Dec-2004, 16:22
This lens is a behemoth! I'm not surprised there is a very limited market for it. If it were a 450 C, I would be surprised.

Victor Loverro
11-Dec-2004, 19:03
I feel compelled to respond on this question. I do not usually offer negative comments on anything, but I must give my experience with CCC here. I bought a view camera from them once that was listed as in Excellent++ condition. That sounded near mint to me. The camera was a total and complete wreck. No amount of work could have made it useable. And every bit of metal was completely corroded. I called and was told by Bernie that the camera was "in excellent condition for its age." Bull. And I would question if the pictures in the listing are of the actual lens. Given all the angles shown, it may be copied from some Fuji literature. I would seriously question the credibility and integrity of CCC.
This is one person's opinion based on one experience only.

Victor Loverro
11-Dec-2004, 19:06
I meant to type CCG, not CCC. Sorry.

Bill_1856
11-Dec-2004, 19:08
Thanks for the warning. Having had several completely successful transactions with Midwestphoto (also located in Columbus), I have somehow confused the two in my mind, and have unsucessfully bid on several items from CCC. I will be vigilent in the future.

Gem Singer
11-Dec-2004, 20:42
Jim and Stu, the owners of Midwest Photo Exchange, left Columbus Camera Group several years ago, and they started their own business. Neither one could relate to the way the owners of CCG did business. Even though both of them are located in Columbus, Ohio, there is no connection between the two companies. The difference between dealing with Mpex and dealing with CCG is like day and night.