PDA

View Full Version : Maplethorpe portrait of Doris Saatchie

Dave Wooten
28-Nov-2014, 22:21
...any insight on the technique used to make this portrait? Filter, lens, film? Thanks

Old-N-Feeble
28-Nov-2014, 22:52
If I were to guess I'd say he used a black stocking over the enlarging lens and printed high-key.

Mark Sawyer
28-Nov-2014, 23:07
If I were to guess I'd say he used a black stocking over the enlarging lens and printed high-key.

Sounds reasonable to me. The diffusion was definitely done during enlarging, as it's the blacks that diffused, not the highlights.

Bill_1856
29-Nov-2014, 07:46
...any insight on the technique used to make this portrait? Filter, lens, film? Thanks

Where' the d**n link, if you're going to ask a question about an image?

Old-N-Feeble
29-Nov-2014, 07:57
Where' the d**n link, if you're going to ask a question about an image?

Here's one LINK (http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/mapplethorpe-doris-saatchi-ar00155)

Dave Wooten
29-Nov-2014, 12:49
thanks, have trouble getting links up;[ from what i have read he didnt do his own printing. i understand the hose softening technique, it seems the image was filtered on camera lens, red?

Old-N-Feeble
29-Nov-2014, 14:01
thanks, have trouble getting links up;[ from what i have read he didnt do his own printing. i understand the hose softening technique, it seems the image was filtered on camera lens, red?

Judging by tonal values, yes, he may have used a red filter during exposure... or he may have used a red-sensitive film. But, as Mark pointed out, the bleeding of light due to diffusion was done during printing, not during exposure, and this could have been accomplished any one of a hundred different ways. The bottom line is the prints were diffused during printing and they were printed high-key... but, yeah, a red filter may have been used during exposure too.

Dave Wooten
29-Nov-2014, 15:52
thanks , havent been able to find the RM daybooks:)

Tracy Storer
29-Nov-2014, 17:25
Yes, diffusion during printing. Well known. Edward (Maxey) Mappelthorpe, his brother(and a fine artist in his own right), did his printing, if I remember correctly.

Taija71A
29-Nov-2014, 18:03
I was always under the impression... That Tom Baril (An outstanding Photographer) -- Did the 'majority' of the Printing for Mapplethorpe. No doubt, there were also others...

-Tim.
_________

EdSawyer
30-Nov-2014, 16:44
Baril is what I remember, yes.

Dave Wooten
30-Nov-2014, 20:38
...maybe Patti Smith would know...

Paul Cunningham
1-Dec-2014, 11:06
It has a bit of an infrared look to it.

Darin Boville
1-Dec-2014, 13:12
I believe others are correct in that if was Tom Baril, who printed Mapplethorpe's works who did the diffusion, probably with pantyhose material.

--Darin

Lou Baleur
1-Dec-2014, 13:27
My eyes must be going. I don't see any diffusion at all, blacks or whites. It looks sharp to me. Can someone point out a feature which shows the diffusion of blacks to help me see what everybody else sees?

Dave Wooten
1-Dec-2014, 14:26
Lou, you are seeing what i felt i saw. loks infared or strongly filtered.

Old-N-Feeble
1-Dec-2014, 14:39
My eyes must be going. I don't see any diffusion at all, blacks or whites. It looks sharp to me. Can someone point out a feature which shows the diffusion of blacks to help me see what everybody else sees?

The dark areas are bleeding into the white areas.

Old-N-Feeble
1-Dec-2014, 14:40
Lou, you are seeing what i felt i saw. loks infared or strongly filtered.

It's definitely not IR but perhaps a deep red filter was used. The diffusion was definitely done during the enlarging process.

Darin Boville
1-Dec-2014, 15:27
They (Robert and Tom) used the diffusion technique *a lot*...I thought it looked gross on most of it. The addition of the high key whites helps a little...

--Darin

Ari
1-Dec-2014, 15:58
They (Robert and Tom) used the diffusion technique *a lot*...I thought it looked gross on most of it. The addition of the high key whites helps a little...

--Darin

Hey, it was the 80s.

EdSawyer
1-Dec-2014, 19:40
I thought infrared also. It could be, in medium or large format...