PDA

View Full Version : Mini-review: EVOC photo pack for Toyo 810M or other large format camera

adelorenzo
26-Nov-2014, 23:31
On another thread, Ari was asking about backpack options for the Toyo 810M (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?118172-Backpack-for-Toyo-810M). I've been meaning to post a bit of a review of the pack that I've been using, the EVOC CP 35l photo pack (http://www.evocsports.com/photo/cp-35l-camera-pack), so I figured this was good motivation to get around to it. Rather than clog up Ari's thread with a pile of photos I've started a new one.

First a bit about EVOC. I own several of their packs for mountain biking. I'm a big fan of them, especially how well they fit when doing difficult riding. We also own one of their airline bike travel cases which has proven very durable. So, when I saw they had a photo pack coming out I jumped on it, originally to use with my Pentax 645N system. However, it turns out to be a really good pack for the 8x10 and that's mostly what I've been using it for.

I like it because it fits securely especially doing technical activities, holds the gear I use well, protects things and is generally well made. The downside is at 35 L in size you're pretty much limited to the basics, you're not going to fit a huge kit or a ton of film holders in here.

Here's the basic look of the pack:

You have quick access to the top compartment, handy to grab a camera body or whatever. (I don't normally have a 645 in there!)

The side pockets are really big and will hold jackets, gloves, water bottles, light meters.... They are also big enough to hold a stack of 4x5 film holders.

adelorenzo
26-Nov-2014, 23:36
Here's the harness. I find it fits really well without shifting around while climbing or going downhill. The waist belt is comfortable and the back is well-padded.

Here's a detail of the construction. They use burly zippers with big pulls so you can quickly get your bag open when you need to.

The top handle is also super sturdy, no problem with 30-40 lbs of camera gear in there. Great for hauling the pack in and out of the car.

Here's what the bag looks like fully loaded (except for tripod). I'll show what I have inside next.

adelorenzo
26-Nov-2014, 23:45
Here's how the camera fits into the pack. Like most photo packs this one came with a zillion dividers but as you can see I am only using a few of them.

The pack opens from the back (harness) side which is nice. When you set it down in the snow, sand, dirt you aren't getting all that stuff on your back when you pick it up.

Here's everything that I normally carry. Camera in the main compartment with dark cloth on top of it. Spare lens, light meter, compendium hood and loupe are above it. I could carry a few more lenses if I put the light meter and hood into a side pocket. The cover has lots of little pouches for cable releases, filters, wipes, spare batteries, etc.

Here's that quick access.

The pack has a protected laptop compartment. I got a cheap-o laptop sleeve from Staples that holds two film holders that slide into the laptop sleeve. If I stuff the dark cloth into a side pouch I can sneak another sleeve with two holders into the main compartment, on top of the camera, but often I'm only carrying two holders with me as shown.

adelorenzo
26-Nov-2014, 23:50
If I'm just walking I normally carry my tripod, but if I'm mountain biking, on snowshoes or using hiking poles I'll strap it on the pack. As far as tripod carrying options, there are a few.

This little tripod pocket pops out of the bottom and then you have two straps across the back.

Here I'm using some of the ice axe / ski pole attachments to carry the tripod at an angle.

You can also attach it to the side of the pack but I think that's best with a lighter, smaller tripod. I wouldn't do it with this one.

Hope that was helpful. This pack has some limitations but I've been really happy with it for the kind of stuff I do. The biggest thing for me is that I trust this pack when I'm out biking or hiking to protect my stuff.

Happy to answer any questions if I can.

Peter De Smidt
27-Nov-2014, 06:47
Nice review.

Ari
27-Nov-2014, 07:26
Anthony, great review and round-up of the features of this pack; thank you very much for doing this.

I like the red interior, so much easier to see what's inside.

I'll check into EVOC retailers and pricing, and I'm also waiting to hear back from Bruce at Photobackpacker about some options.

TXFZ1
27-Nov-2014, 07:29
I find it interesting how other people pack their gear. Nice review. The dog photo bombing is the best!

David

Ari
27-Nov-2014, 07:37
Anthony, where did you buy your pack?

The EVOC website is frustrating because it does not list the retailers; it shows a Google map with pins.

None of the dealers mentioned in the map list EVOC in their websites, either.

adelorenzo
27-Nov-2014, 09:17
I bought it through my local bike shop. It looks like there are 5-6 bike shops in Toronto that carry EVOC, you might have to phone around a bit to see if anyone has the camera bag in the shop. I definitely would not buy it, or any pack, without trying one on and preferably with some weight in it.

It can be tough to find their products in Canada sometimes.

adelorenzo
27-Nov-2014, 09:20
I find it interesting how other people pack their gear. Nice review. The dog photo bombing is the best!

Thanks David. He was getting exciting as packing the pack often means going out to fun places.

I should also add that he makes a terrible photo assistant. He hasn't ruined a LF shot yet but I have plenty of 35mm and 120 frames he's wandered into. :)

Ari
27-Nov-2014, 09:22
Thanks, Anthony; I agree, I wouldn't order it without trying it in person first.
I'm in Ottawa, and the EVOC website lists four dealers, all bike shops; those four shops do not list EVOC on their websites.
But the distributor in Calgary is listed, so I might give them a call and see what they say.
Appreciate the review.

tgtaylor
27-Nov-2014, 10:54
Nice looking pack, Anthony. If I didn't already have the Lowepro 600AW (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/652790-REG/Lowepro_LP36119_PEU_Pro_Trekker_600_AW.html I would certainly consider the Evoc. Looking at the differences in the specs, if the specs given for the Evoc (34 x 55 x 19 cm) are for the interior, then the width is 3cm shorter than the Lowepro while the length is 6cm greater (37 x 19 x 49cm) (WxDxH) and the Evoc weighs 1.6 lbs less. Another difference is that the Lowepro will hold 5 film holders in a padded carrying case in the laptop compartment which is conveniently situated on the outside of the pack away from the body and there are 3 places for carrying a tripod. Everything else looks similar but I do like that the Evoc opens book-style instead of vertical as the Lowepro.

But Evoc or Lowepro I would never go 8x10ing on the bicycle. For bicycle LF photo tours I carry a Toyo 45CF field camera (~4.1 lbs with normal lens attached) in a rear pannier and a Gitzo GT1040 tripod (~1.7lbs) on the rear carrier.

Thomas

Ari
29-Nov-2014, 10:24
Hi Anthony,
One more question: how does the pack feel after walking with it on your back for an hour or longer?
It seems like much thought was put into protecting the gear, I was wondering what comfort is like for extended periods?
Thank you again.

Ari
29-Nov-2014, 10:49
And, I forgot to ask: how tall are you, Anthony? Do you think the pack would work well for people of different height?
Thank you

adelorenzo
29-Nov-2014, 13:20
It's super comfortable, that's the biggest reason I use EVOC packs. I've climbed mountains with this pack, snowshoed, mountain biked... They hold really snug so they don't swing around on you but at the same time are very comfortable. The back is very well padded for carrying weight and the waist belts is really nice, the padded part is a bit stretchy and has velcro to do it up. Then you can clip the nylon belt on over that and cinch it down.

Let me put it this way: I'm an outdoor guide and I get pro deals or even free packs from several major pack manufacturers. I choose to pay retail for EVOC bags because I like them that much better. As always, YMMV as I do know people who hate them.

I'm 6-6 with a long torso. I normally wear XL sized packs from EVOC or anybody else. This one is a single size and it fits me fine although I wouldn't complain if it was taller. I think it would fit better for someone of more average height although I can't say how it would be for someone on the shorter side of things.

Ari
29-Nov-2014, 13:34
Thank you, Anthony; I've been reading some very good reviews about the pack; many of them stressed how comfortable it was.
The system at Photobackpacker had me wondering about individual height for a one-size-fits-all pack; you are 6'6" and I am 5'9".
I'm just having trouble locating a pack that I can see for myself.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Peter De Smidt
29-Nov-2014, 14:21
The backer board on the PBP is adjustable for different torso lengths. I'd be very surprised if it couldn't be set easily for your torso length.

Ari
29-Nov-2014, 14:48
That's good to know, Peter; the PBP system is still a bit of a mystery to me, I thought the backer board would have to be ordered specific to my size.

csxcnj
1-Dec-2014, 06:22
That's good to know, Peter; the PBP system is still a bit of a mystery to me, I thought the backer board would have to be ordered specific to my size.

The Pbp site tells you how to measure your torso height. When you order you tick a box with your height. Bruce adjusts the size of the pack to fit your specified size. The packs are also user adjustable of needed.

I love them so much I have three of them and my wife has one.

Ari
1-Dec-2014, 07:52
Thanks, guys, I appreciate all the feedback; thanks to Anthony for posting his review.