PDA

View Full Version : Shooting down onto a table top or floor

macolive
25-Nov-2014, 17:26
What do you use when shooting directly down to an object on the floor or table top? Do you use a tripod or one of those cranes? I imagine that using a tripod with a rotating center column (like the Manfrotto 055CXPro) would be a bit unstable for an LF camera.

I tried searching for the answer around the forum but couldn't find one…so my apologies if this has been discussed before.

Thanks!

Tin Can
25-Nov-2014, 18:20
I use old Arkay studio stands, I bought 2 for $200 with Majestic heads. Since one is 9 feet tall, i slide it under a big table and shoot down onto the table.

Here is what a smaller one looks like. (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=2727&gclid=CLmmg-yMl8ICFcVaMgodClgAWQ&Q=&is=REG&A=details)

macolive
25-Nov-2014, 19:10
I use old Arkay studio stands, I bought 2 for $200 with Majestic heads. Since one is 9 feet tall, i slide it under a big table and shoot down onto the table.

Thanks Randy!

NickyLai
25-Nov-2014, 19:40
What do you use when shooting directly down to an object on the floor or table top? ......

It is simpler to shoot into a front surface mirror reflected 45 degree down to the floor/table where the object stands.

Tin Can
25-Nov-2014, 19:53
Thanks Randy!

I want one of those!

But they are Hell to keep in nice shape, you really cannot clean it. I have one in my Gowlandflex and I am scared to touch it. Somebody did touch it a little with a cloth. Bad Juju.

Ian Gordon Bilson
25-Nov-2014, 21:31
Most any tripod will do if you adjust it "over center " and sandbag one of the legs.

Tin Can
25-Nov-2014, 22:04
Most any tripod will do if you adjust it "over center " and sandbag one of the legs.

Yes, I did that for awhile, but no thanks.

I shoot a lot of copywork and stuff vertical, the old tripod on an angle is for one shot once in a blue moon.

My studio stands with quality Majestic heads were cheaper than used tripods.

ymmv

Nicky, I used to use the MP3 I gave you, I prefer studio stands for bigger art work.

NickyLai
25-Nov-2014, 22:40

Nicky, I used to use the MP3 I gave you, I prefer studio stands for bigger art work.

I much appreciated it and that is one solid strong vertical setup for copywork in quantity. Will use it when needed.

DrTang
26-Nov-2014, 08:05
failing a studio stand, manfrotto makes a sidearm kinda thing

tripod screws into the middle, camera mounting screws on either end.. so you can put a camera on one end and super clamp a weight on the other side.. and tripod is normal configuration, but I'd sandbag it anyway

I imagine it would be okay for 4x5 and smaller

I have one and haven't used it with a LF camera although a 2x3 Galvin would be just perfect for it

Bob Salomon
26-Nov-2014, 08:06
Linhof, among other tripod manufacturers, made an Outrigger Adapter for their Large Geared Center Column to get the camera out and over the subject when the head was mounted to their Kardan Pan/Tilt Mount II.

Tin Can
26-Nov-2014, 08:39
Linhof, among other tripod manufacturers, made an Outrigger Adapter for their Large Geared Center Column to get the camera out and over the subject when the head was mounted to their Kardan Pan/Tilt Mount II.

That is one part I do not have. Seems the 50mm tube mount is more rare than some other pieces.

Tin Can
26-Nov-2014, 08:40
The Arkay will hold up to a Horseman 8x10, but will need help in raising it, as the counterweight is not enough. But 4x5's of any weight work fine on Arkay Studio stand. However keep the weight directly over the splayed legs or down she goes goes in a big crash. I learned that the hard way. :)

Drew Bedo
26-Nov-2014, 10:40
I have used an old mirror attachment that was sold by Spiratone through the mail as late as the 1980s . . .bought mine used in the early 2Ks. They come up once in a while on e-Bay.

I kept the camera level, adjusted magnification with bellows and focused by dusting th ecenter column up and down.

Tin Can
26-Nov-2014, 10:45
I suppose Surplus Shed has first surface mirrors. Edmonds surely does.

Jac@stafford.net
26-Nov-2014, 11:46
I suppose Surplus Shed has first surface mirrors. Edmonds surely does.

First surface mirrors have become less expensive over time. They are reasonable enough to replace periodically. Sinar made one that had a sliding protective cover.

One trick is to use one just in front of the lens at a 45 degree angle in something like a matte/filter box.

...rorrim eht ni sgnihT

Drew Bedo
26-Nov-2014, 18:38
Old XS-70 and One-Step Polaroids have a nice bit of front surface mirror inside.

Neal Chaves
26-Nov-2014, 18:50
I built a right angle mirror attachment with a first surface mirror from Surplus Shed. Shown here
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?109171-Right-Angle-Mirror

For 4X5 and roll film on a table top, I find this converted Beseler enlarger very convienient.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?116568-Beseler-4X5-Enlarging-Camera

macolive
27-Nov-2014, 03:01
I'll probably have a rig made (it will be cheaper than buying and shipping an Arkay to my side of the world. The mirrors seem like an idea but I wonder how difficult it would be to maintain..make sure it's clean and dust free.

Kimberly Anderson
27-Nov-2014, 07:57
I have a Polaroid MP-3 camera with all the accessories. I got it for free. You can find them occasionally very cheap, one was here locally for $15 recently. I know of another stashed away that's not being used.

Originally they were used with hot lights, but I shoot copy-work with strobes.

Here's a LINK to the Butkus site (http://www.cameramanuals.org/polaroid_pdf/polaroid_mp-3.pdf) that shows the camera and all it's features.