PDA

View Full Version : hardly large format

npenitenti
22-Nov-2014, 02:55
I picked up a century graphic (2x3) yesterday its in super mint condition, sat in a sealed case in an attic, Anywho i know some of these came with not so great lens's. I was hoping that someone could tell me if i got a sweet deal or not. It's got a schneider-kreuznach xenar f4.5 105mm lens on it. more curious about the glass quality than anything else, I've done some test fires already and everything runs swimmingly, also bought a roll film back for it on ebay, super excited to start shooting with it

Cheers
-Nico

npenitenti
22-Nov-2014, 03:13
i guess if someone could move this that would be cool, sorry missed the sticky

Tin Can
22-Nov-2014, 06:23
Great lightweight camera that is wonderful if fully set up with an accurate rangefinder. If the lens and shutter are in good working order just use it as is. I prefer the Ektar lenses but if your current setup is working changing to another lens is not necessary. If mint, stock and working use it with sheet film available at Freestyle and be happy to be a LF rebel as 2X3 is too small for this part of the forum. I have 2 of your camera and love them.

Drew Bedo
22-Nov-2014, 06:31
I may be wrong on this, but—there may be roll film backs for this camera which would be more convenient. The Mamya RB 67 is about this size.

mdarnton
22-Nov-2014, 07:49
The older RB67 backs do indeed work, but you have to break off a pair of the SS ears on the darkslide to get the slide to go in all the way when mounted on a real Graflok back (on a Mamiya these tabs slip into slots in the camera's back to prevent the camera from firing with the slide in). Still, they're good holders, and cheap.

Tin Can
22-Nov-2014, 08:10
I prefer flat sheet film to roll film. Hence my suggestion. Convenience is so digital.

Tracy Storer
22-Nov-2014, 22:26
Ah, the Bakelite body and Red bellows......sweet little cameras. I got a 2x3 Crown for my wife, roll holders and sheet film holders.... gotta crack the whip on her to use it more.
The Xenar should be nice, shoot it and see how you like it. Lens swaps are not a big deal except for rangefinder synching. (I'm a GG focus guy)

Dan Fromm
23-Nov-2014, 06:42
By all accounts y'r Xenar is an OK lens. Use the camera and be happy.

There are indeed roll film holders for y'r camera. I use Adapt-A-Roll 620s (2 1/4 x 3 1/4, feed from a 120 spool, must take up on a 620 spool, with careful loading will give 9 shots/roll) on mine. There are also clip-on type roll holders that replace the focusing panel. Graflex Inc. made them. The class of that class is Horseman/Wista (same device, different badge) but it won't fit a Graflok back as interpreted by Graflex.

The rangefinder can be set up for only one lens, has to be recalibrated (tedious fussy job, not practical in the field) every time the lens is changed. I use many lenses on mine (see http://www.galerie-photo.com/telechargement/dan-fromm-6x9-lenses-v2-2011-03-29.pdf to get an idea of what's possible, don't go as far overboard as I did), focus on the GG. If you decide to go a little overboard, look for a Cambo SF-320 in line viewer. These attach to the back like a roll holder. Not common but they can be found, sometimes at low prices.

Format is a matter of personal preference. I prefer 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 (6x9 in metric) to 6x7 (2 1/4 x 2 3/4 in imperial), if nothing else 2x3 gives better cropping opportunities. If you get a Mamiya RB 67 back get an early one to avoid interlock problems.

npenitenti
23-Nov-2014, 14:12
I bought the graflex produced 6x9 roll back that replaces thr ground glass, good to know they still cut film in that size might just buy some

Tin Can
23-Nov-2014, 14:36
I bought the graflex produced 6x9 roll back that replaces thr ground glass, good to know they still cut film in that size might just buy some

Great!

I suppose we can assume your rangefinder is accurate.

Lock up FocuSpot as it is a cool night time addition to the rangefinder. Focus in total darkness.

Dan Fromm
23-Nov-2014, 16:23
Randy, I've bought five 2x3 Graphics so far, all with Kalarts. None of the Kalarts was set up correctly for the lens on the camera as delivered.

Newly purchased Kalarts on old cameras are like newly purchased old shutters. All need service.

Tin Can
23-Nov-2014, 16:45
Randy, I've bought five 2x3 Graphics so far, all with Kalarts. None of the Kalarts was set up correctly for the lens on the camera as delivered.

Newly purchased Kalarts on old cameras are like newly purchased old shutters. All need service.

I had one 2x3 Speed rangefinder work perfectly when I bought it and it still does. I have at least 5 2x3 Graphics. And a Busch or 3.

Right now, as I type this I am setting up a Jena Tessar 13.5 cm f4.5 in Compur for my 4x5 Speed and the rangefinder will be working shortly. This lens and shutter appear unused. Good NOS does exist. I do need to make a 1/2" extension for the body release lever to push the shutter lever or use a mounted cable release.

Last night Dan, I reread your lens experiments with 2x3's for the 4th time, very interesting. Great time and money saver.

Thanks as always for your extensive written and available research.

ImSoNegative
23-Nov-2014, 16:50
I had one with a 105 ektar, that was a sweet lens

Corran
25-Nov-2014, 10:09
My first 2x3 came with an 80mm f/2.8 Xenotar, perfectly aligned to the RF...

Fun camera, hard to frame accurately, wish it had a rotating back, but otherwise a great MF camera.