PDA

View Full Version : Eastman Portrait Diffusion Disks

Steven Tribe
21-Nov-2014, 16:14
Considering how often these appear on Ebay, I was surprised to find that there is, apparently, no mention anywhere in the Forum - and very little on the Softar, either!

These disks were marketed by Eastman from the 1920's and were found in several sizes. There are two items - a holder mounted to the lens and an insert filter/disc, which has a handle suggesting alternative use.

There is a very complete description (verbatim from Eastman's advertising, perhaps) on line which describes the use of the A (small soft effect) and B (more effects) series in portrait photography. It also describes how the filters can be used in darkroom.

I am sure they are just as effective/ineffective as later devices, but has anyone experience of their use?

Geoffrey_5995
21-Nov-2014, 20:26
Steve, I have used them on several occasions and also for wet plate. They are very effective, especially when photographing older folk.

Alan Gales
21-Nov-2014, 21:13
From what I have noticed, large format photographers seem to prefer soft focus lenses and medium format photographers prefer Softars or other diffusion discs.

Just look at the amount of threads on here about soft focus lenses. Also check out the very low prices on the used Mamiya soft focus lenses for the RZ and RB67's. There seems to be no love for those lenses.

I don't know why that is.

Armin Seeholzer
22-Nov-2014, 02:12

I know why its because here in LF Forum we have some priests they praise almost every day the use of SF lens and show also some nice results!:)

Steven Tribe
22-Nov-2014, 04:51
I asked, because I couldn't resist one in Greece (low price, free shipping, no VAT etc.). Arrived within 2 days - so I can show what the surface looks like to-day.

Made of quite thick glass, sturdy mount, concentric mini-ridges about 5mm apart with a central area without rings.

Very difficult to photograph surface, but you can see a vague outline in the skylight reflection. This the B model.

They are very effective, especially when photographing older folk.

Good for self portraits, then!

Bob Salomon
22-Nov-2014, 06:09
From what I have noticed, large format photographers seem to prefer soft focus lenses and medium format photographers prefer Softars or other diffusion discs.

Just look at the amount of threads on here about soft focus lenses. Also check out the very low prices on the used Mamiya soft focus lenses for the RZ and RB67's. There seems to be no love for those lenses.

Not necessarily. We were the distributor for both Zorkendorfer and Schmactenburg. Both made adaptor systems for mounting the 120 and 150mm Imagon 4.5 lenses to most any medium format or 35mm interchangeable camera. Mostly for Hasselblad 500 and 200/2000 cameras and Rollei 6XXX system cameras. These lenses were used by portrait gurus like Monte Zucker, Tibor Horvath, Mike Gilbert and many others. All of whom did seminars on the use of these lenses with their shooting style and we sold lots of these systems because of these shooters. Mostly through the 60s to the early 90s.

Both manufacturers had their own focus tube, helical focus mount and way of mounting to a leaf shutter to couple to the camera system. Schmactenburg even had his own special version of a Prontor Professional made for him for these lenses.

And the Imagon's effect was quite different from Fuji's and Mamiyas.

As for the Kodak disks, they later became none as the DUTO filters and were manufactured by Heliopan. Although Heliopan also sold the Zeiss Softars which out sold the Duto filters.

Geoffrey_5995
22-Nov-2014, 06:56
I asked, because I couldn't resist one in Greece (low price, free shipping, no VAT etc.). Arrived within 2 days - so I can show what the surface looks like to-day.

Made of quite thick glass, sturdy mount, concentric mini-ridges about 5mm apart with a central area without rings.

Very difficult to photograph surface, but you can see a vague outline in the skylight reflection. This the B model.

Good for self portraits, then!

Yes, myself included!

Alan Gales
22-Nov-2014, 09:51
Not necessarily. We were the distributor for both Zorkendorfer and Schmactenburg. Both made adaptor systems for mounting the 120 and 150mm Imagon 4.5 lenses to most any medium format or 35mm interchangeable camera. Mostly for Hasselblad 500 and 200/2000 cameras and Rollei 6XXX system cameras. These lenses were used by portrait gurus like Monte Zucker, Tibor Horvath, Mike Gilbert and many others. All of whom did seminars on the use of these lenses with their shooting style and we sold lots of these systems because of these shooters. Mostly through the 60s to the early 90s.

Both manufacturers had their own focus tube, helical focus mount and way of mounting to a leaf shutter to couple to the camera system. Schmactenburg even had his own special version of a Prontor Professional made for him for these lenses.

And the Imagon's effect was quite different from Fuji's and Mamiyas.

Thanks, Bob. That's interesting.

mdarnton
22-Nov-2014, 10:33
OK! I just landed the mounting ring. Now I need to watch for the disks themselves!

Thanks, Steven, for bringing these up.

Steven Tribe
22-Nov-2014, 10:46
Zorkendorfer and Schmactenburg

Thanks for the imput, Bob!
Completely new names to me.

Bob Salomon
22-Nov-2014, 11:35
Thanks for the imput, Bob!
Completely new names to me.

Then you also would be unfamiliar with the name of the adapter system Zoerk used to mount the Imagon to the cameras. It was the Zoerkandorfer Maxi Macro Schnecker System, plus some extra parts. More people are more familiar with his Mini Macro Schnecker System. It was an all metal tilt tube focusing mount for enlarging lenses. The Lens Baby is based on it.

Steven Tribe
22-Nov-2014, 17:20
Before becoming Duto Heliopan, these became the "Kodak Pictorial Diffusion Disks" with more standard filter type mounts.

russyoung
22-Nov-2014, 18:10
Before becoming Duto Heliopan, these became the "Kodak Pictorial Diffusion Disks" with more standard filter type mounts.

You might like to look at page 305 of my thesis. http://research-repository.st-andrews.ac.uk/handle/10023/505

Russ

Steven Tribe
23-Nov-2014, 03:34
More than just page 305 - Highly recommended!

But, it does raise a few issues!:

"The Diffusion Disk has a series of straight interlinked lines,
rather like a spider’s web, raised on the surface and the glass must have been cast in that
configuration. By comparison, the Duto is a series of “lines, or grooves, surrounding the
clear circle in the center. The lines are alternatively thin and thick and equally
spaced…” Russell Young, 2008.

Russ shows his Eastman Diffusion disk which has tangential "lines" with a central clean area.
Which is very different from the concentric circle version I have.

Does anyone have the rare "Wolfe Artistic" which Russ couldn't locate?

Sandy44
10-Mar-2015, 19:55
I have a numbered set of three. They came in a black box lined with dark red velvet. The has the following writing on the lid: Eastman Diffusing Discs, Manufactured by, Eastman Kodak Company, Rochester. The discs are surrounded by a black metal band with an adjustable screw to adapt the lens to the outer rim different sized lens. Along the outside edge, it gives the same information along with "Patent App. For." Each lens has varying degrees of spider-like lines across the face. Each disc rests in its own indentation. When I bought them, they hardly looked used. I typically use them with my view cameras, but they lend themselves to several different applications.