PDA

View Full Version : Printing on Canvas

Robert Kalman
21-Nov-2014, 15:10
An interior designer has asked me for a set of prints that she wants to install in a bathroom. I've already advised her that the humidity generated by the shower will have a negative effect on the life of the prints.

I'm trying to be solution oriented with the designer, so I thought that providing prints on canvas might be a viable alternative to paper.

Does anyone have experience with canvas, and if so, how do you think the humidity will affect the prints?

Thanks!

Harry Ogloff
21-Nov-2014, 15:48
If you are going to stretch the canvas onto stretcher bars, the humidity will run havoc on the canvas, causing it to sag. My suggestion if you use canvas is to firstly coat the canvas with a protectant like Breathing Color Glamor II and then adhere the canvas to a substrate like gaterboard using a glue like Miracle Muck. You can then mount the canvas into a frame of your liking without any glazing.

This works for me and I've got canvas prints hanging in humid rooms like bathrooms without issues.

vinny
21-Nov-2014, 15:49
Since this is the darkroom forum, Are you talking about inkjet or coating canvas with liquid emulsion?

Robert Kalman
21-Nov-2014, 17:10
Since this is the darkroom forum, Are you talking about inkjet or coating canvas with liquid emulsion?

Inkjet on canvas. Am I in the wrong forum?

vinny
21-Nov-2014, 17:24
Inkjet on canvas. Am I in the wrong forum?
No, There's a digital processing forum, that's all. I'm sure liquid emulsion would react differently than inkjet, that's why I asked. Any of the canvas stuff I've seen looked pretty durable because it had a clear coating over it.

Liquid Artist
22-Nov-2014, 04:46
If I was asked for it, I would do the prints on metal.

If I remember correctly the costs are around the same after mounting.

Robert Kalman
22-Nov-2014, 05:29
If I was asked for it, I would do the prints on metal.

I have no experience with prints on metal. I assume that's most effectively done by a lab. Does anyone have a recommendation for this?

vinny
22-Nov-2014, 05:49
Aspencreekphoto.com
Owned by west coast imaging.
You can coat or buy pre-coated sheets if you'd like to diy.

Peter Mounier
22-Nov-2014, 07:40
I've had a 16x20 canvas print hanging in the bathroom for a couple of years and haven't seen any havoc. It's coated with Clear Shield type C. It hangs a foot or so from the shower curtain. My experience is that after a canvas is stretched, if you want it to be tighter, or if after some time the canvas starts to sag, spraying water on the back actually tightens the canvas up as the water dries.