PDA

View Full Version : Rust

Rory Roopnarine
9-Dec-2004, 15:20
Greetings friends,

I have a brand new Arca Swiss 4x5 that I used on the seashore on one occasion. Subsequent to this, I noted rust on some of the screws on the standard and rail. This occurred even though I took care to wipe down the camera with a moist cloth to remove any salt residue. I have also noticed that my Arca Swiss B1 ballhead is susceptible to rust at the pan-movement locking screw. After spending a small fortune for this camera (including a 40% import duty to my country) I am rather, well, disappointed. Is there any way to minimize rusting? Spray the screws with WD-40 or something? Thanks for your input everybody.

Richard Martel
9-Dec-2004, 16:06
A product I use for corrosion protection is Boeshield T-9. It is available in a 12 oz spray can. Boeshield was developed by Boeing corp. for rust and corrosion protection of aircraft parts. ( 1-800-962-1732).The vehicle penetrates and coats, then evaporates leaving a thin wax moisture barrier that is quite durable and not sticky when dry. I have found Boeshield to be far better than WD-40. I live right next to the ocean in the Florida Keys. Rust and corrosion is a never ending battle and I feel your pain.
Richard

Rory Roopnarine
9-Dec-2004, 16:43
Thanks Richard, that sounds super. Rory.

Jim Ewins
9-Dec-2004, 16:46
One may consider replacing with marine stainless steel screws/bolts. There's enough in our camera bags without a can of WD40

Rick Heitman
10-Dec-2004, 21:05
You can also go to ant wood working shop and buy a spray can called " TOP COAT" I use it on my table saw tops and it goes on like a fine white powder, and will protect against rust like nothing Ive seen. It is not sticky, and can be cleaned off very easily if needed.

Frank Petronio
10-Dec-2004, 21:09
WD-40 causes rust... really