PDA

View Full Version : Tiltall Mods

Rick A
19-Nov-2014, 14:59
Tiltall Mods
This looks like the correct place to post this. After much consideration, today I took the plunge and decided to modify my Tiltall tripod. I love the leg set, and their ease of use and ruggedness, but despise the head. The mounting plate is too big, and I have to pull my camera off to rotate the back, plus with my arthritis, it's difficult to get the mounting screw tight where it's located.
I pulled the column off the legs and headed down to the work bench, chucked it into my vise and applied the heat gun to the base of the head where it mounts to the column, gave it a rap(or three) with a mallet, and presto--head removal success. Lest I forget, there is a screw that must be removed first, but after that, heat will pop the epoxy bond allowing the head to slide off. Next, I inverted the column and reinserted it into the legs and re-installed the screw, then replaced the removable bottom cap(now on top) and put a 3/8-16 brass adapter on, then screwed my Manfrotto 804RC2 pan head in place.
Now I have a Tiltall I love even more than before, complete with QD plate and much improved, more ergonomic adjustments.

Bill_1856
19-Nov-2014, 15:57
Very strange -- I've always considered the Tiltall head as one of it's best features. Also, unless I'm mistaken, for some time they've been selling the column with no head, just the fixing screw.

Rick A
19-Nov-2014, 16:21
It wasn't in my budget, I had this stuff here. The mounting screw was very difficult for me to manage with arthritis, I had trouble getting it to snug down. Now I can snap my camera on one handed.