PDA

View Full Version : Durst Pro Gear Replacement

Renato Tonelli
18-Nov-2014, 19:37
The gear that moves the head up and down has finally broken resulting in an annoying skip at each turn of the handle. Any ideas of where I could source a replacement? Maybe it's a generic gear used in other types of equipment?

Thank you in advance.

dsphotog
18-Nov-2014, 21:55
I'm guessing your Durst is a 184...
My last one just broke also, not too surprising since it's made of 20 year old nylon...
It would be great to find a mass produced (inexpensive) version, since I need 2 of them.
It was likely made in Italy.

Kimberly Anderson
18-Nov-2014, 22:23
I got a new brass one from Jens. I don't recall it being terribly expensive.

Renato Tonelli
19-Nov-2014, 07:28
It (a 4x5 Durst Pro) was made in Italy in the early 1970's.

Michael - is Jens a retailer or...? Not turning up anything.

Luis-F-S
19-Nov-2014, 07:32
It (a 4x5 Durst Pro) was made in Italy in the early 1970's.

Michael - is Jens a retailer or...? Not turning up anything.

http://www.durst-pro-usa.com/

Drew Wiley
25-Nov-2014, 13:58
Is this guy even still in business ??? With his track record, ya kinda wonder....

ic-racer
25-Nov-2014, 16:08
I got a new brass one from Jens. I don't recall it being terribly expensive.

Is this guy even still in business ??? With his track record, ya kinda wonder....
?

Drew Wiley
25-Nov-2014, 16:12
Well, the website is still there, and still padded with all kinds of things he couldn't even acquire and ship a decade ago. He was glad to take your money,
however. Whether you got anything in return ....

Luis-F-S
26-Nov-2014, 09:33
I've only ordered a lens board from him and it came through rather quickly. L

bob carnie
26-Nov-2014, 10:08
He has a power cord for my CLS 2000 so I think he has lots of gear to be had.

Richard Wasserman
28-Nov-2014, 08:58
Don't get me started about Jens...

Let's just say that I have the same low (what's the word for lower than low?) opinion of him as Drew.

mpirie
28-Nov-2014, 09:04
If someone created a pattern for the gear, maybe someone with a 3D printer could make one up?

Don't know if the printer material would be strong enough?

Mike

Renato Tonelli
28-Nov-2014, 10:27
Found a temporary replacement.

Glennview.com out of Chicago has responded and will be ordering a new gear - he has someone who molds them for him, which is good to know.
I have ordered from Durst-Pro USA in the last couple of years and have had no problems; no response so far about the gear though.

The reason the gear got chewed up to begin with is that one of the students was lowering and raising the head by pushing the head and and down instead of using the crank.

Luis-F-S
4-Dec-2014, 10:59
Students, you gotta love them! L

Larry Kellogg
6-Dec-2014, 06:51
Students, you gotta love them! L

LOL, I've seen the damage inflicted by students at ICP in New York. ICP has a lot of Saunders enlargers. The handle that lifts up the gate for putting in the negative carrier seems to get broken quite a bit.

I haven't gotten my 138 yet, but does it have one of these gears and a crank or is that only on the 184?

Luis-F-S
6-Dec-2014, 22:48
Only on the L184. The 138 does not have a hand crank unless it's an SM-183 like mine.

jbrianfoto
8-Dec-2014, 19:28
It's called a pinion gear. There is a #1 and a #2 pinion gear IIRC. On all of my L184's there were two kinds of gears, one made of metal (a brass alloy if some kind) and nylon. The nylon ones were the only ones I ever saw fail. The two kinds are interchangeable. I bought my replacement from Durst Pro back in 2003 and it cost me $170.

Aerial
28-Jan-2015, 19:59
I found some NOS what I believe is 3 of the replacement gears. No part #, just in an envelope marked "Durst gear and pin" but I know we replaced these pretty regularly. Only drilled for pin on one side, and the included pin would be a very tight fit. No longer have the 184 chassis. I'll post the over in the FS section.

mejorquenada
16-Jul-2018, 09:27
Hey all,

I've reverse engineered the pinion gear for the 184. I put holes on both sides so you can use a simple cotter pin. I've tested it and it works. Posting here to gauge interest in making more than a few. Likely nylon, as they'll be much cheaper. I could have them machined, but the price is much higher. The one in the image is a PLA prototype but is plenty strong to raise the head, and cheap enough that you can replace it when needed.

Anyway, i know these break often and are difficult to find so let me know if you'd like one thanks!

Sorry, I don't know why the image posted on it's side.

NPR
16-Jul-2018, 10:08
FWIW, for those with similar issues: the gear on the crank of my Durst M800 broke and I found a replacement at this place:

http://www.sdp-si.com

dsphotog
16-Jul-2018, 21:43
Since the originals are from Italy, I have always wondered if it was a common, off the shelf part, maybe automotive, like a Fiat window lift, or windshield wiper motor gear.
Naturally if it's identified as photo equipment the price increases dramatically.

mejorquenada
26-Jul-2018, 10:09
update: nylon

Luis-F-S
26-Jul-2018, 20:15
So what sort of cost are we talking about? Luis