PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for reputable Daylight Developing 4x5 tank?

doogie
17-Nov-2014, 20:47
Hello all.

I'm finally transitioning from the Darkroom at school to developing my film at home. With that in mind I have no choice but to develop with Daylight developing tanks due to the small size of my flat and the impossibility creating a Darkroom. (long story)

Anyhow. I'm trying to figure out which 4x5 daylight developing tank will be the best route. (on a student budget)

Ty in advance.

V/r,
Doogie

doogie
17-Nov-2014, 21:11
Any suggestions?

Tim Meisburger
17-Nov-2014, 22:13
I think you have only one option in new equipment. The Mod 54. If you decide to buy used, look for a Paterson Orbital or a Combi-plan.

Also, don't forget the taco method, which is probably the cheapest way to get daylight 4x5.

jnantz
18-Nov-2014, 04:16
i have a few FR tanks, but they are a PITA at times to load.
they are usually cheap ... and if you canfigure out how to load them
and then agitate them ... you will be in business.

koraks
18-Nov-2014, 05:03
The Mod 54.
This, in the Paterson tank it was made for. Check the other threads on the Mod54, and despite those who hate it, there are many who use it without problems, myself included.

Regular Rod
18-Nov-2014, 06:30
Hello all.

I'm finally transitioning from the Darkroom at school to developing my film at home. With that in mind I have no choice but to develop with Daylight developing tanks due to the small size of my flat and the impossibility creating a Darkroom. (long story)

Anyhow. I'm trying to figure out which 4x5 daylight developing tank will be the best route. (on a student budget)

Ty in advance.

V/r,
Doogie

For absolutely trouble free daylight processing of sheet film the Paterson Orbital is worth obtaining and modifying. You may have to stick a followed search on eBay to find one at a reasonable price but they do come up still. This is how to modify it for film and larger quantities of solutions so that you can also use it for stand and semi-stand agitation regimes. http://freepdfhosting.com/f640343f29.pdf

There is a brand new one on eBay at the moment eBay item number: 251701759821 it is not cheap but it is just what is needed.

RR

Stoogley
18-Nov-2014, 06:50
Since the Mod54 uses the Paterson tank; if you do, or would want to do, 35mm or 120mm, you just need to add a couple of reels and you're multiformat.

Pete Watkins
18-Nov-2014, 10:54
One thing about the Patterson Orbital is the fact that you don't need massive amounts of chemicals. I use 300 ml of chemicals and with using D-76H at 1-1 it's very economical. Some use less........
Pete.

Jim Noel
18-Nov-2014, 11:01
One thing about the Patterson Orbital is the fact that you don't need massive amounts of chemicals. I use 300 ml of chemicals and with using D-76H at 1-1 it's very economical. Some use less........
Pete.

Use less only if you want to risk under-development. A given area of film requires a minimum quantity of developer.

lbenac
18-Nov-2014, 13:00
Nikkor stainless steel tank

adelorenzo
18-Nov-2014, 13:51
I think you have only one option in new equipment. The Mod 54. If you decide to buy used, look for a Paterson Orbital or a Combi-plan.

For new equipment there is also the Jobo 2500-series tanks and 2509N reels. I'm using that system and pretty happy with it. Also don't forget the Jobo 3010 expert drums.

David A. Goldfarb
18-Nov-2014, 14:36
I'm also a fan of the Nikor stainless steel tank. There are a couple of threads about them on the forum.

dtheld
18-Nov-2014, 17:10
The only problem with a Nikor tank is the price. It seems that anyone trying to sell a decent tank w/o a bent reel wants anywhere from $150 to over $200. I think the OP is better off with a MOD 54, Paterson of Combi-Plan for the near future.

Dave

jbenedict
18-Nov-2014, 22:27
I had a Nikkor 4x5 tank. Didn't like it. Not sure why folks thought it was so special. Hasn't been available new for 30 years.

It is possible to use a Jobo tank Multitank 2 and the sheet film reel (2509n) with the inversion lid to do 6 or less at a time. It needs more fluids than when it is used with the Jobo processor but should work fine. And, of course, if you get the Jobo roll film reels, you can process 35mm and 120.

Robbie Bedell
22-Nov-2014, 19:28
I use and like the Combi-Plan. There is a slight learning curve, but once used to it, it becomes very easy. My negatives come out perfect every time. (Not my exposures, just no streaks and very even development!) Robbie

John Kasaian
22-Nov-2014, 20:04
I've used a Unicolor processor. Read about it in the link to Graywolf Phillips' article on the LF Homepage (click on the lt. blue banner at the top of this page)

koh303
22-Nov-2014, 20:38

Also, don't forget the taco method, which is probably the cheapest way to get daylight 4x5.

All Jobo tanks and reels are available new, and are in production.
The 2520 tank only needs 270mm min chemistry, when rotated. You do need a processor, just a flat surface on which to roll the drum back and forth. The mod54 takes 1L.

Kirk Gittings
22-Nov-2014, 21:11
You mean "do not need a processor" I think.

koh303
23-Nov-2014, 06:47
You mean "do not need a processor" I think.

Yes thats correct, late night typing mistake.

David A. Goldfarb
23-Nov-2014, 11:38
The Nikor (with one "k") sheet film tank can be hard to find and tends to cost around $130-175 used, but it works pretty much like a stainless steel rollfilm tank (obviously the loading is different) and it holds 12 sheets (if you use a highly dilute developer, you may want to do fewer), and also is adjustable to any size down to 2x3", if you're into small sheet film cameras. They can be hard to load, if you haven't read the instructions. I figured it out by trial and error before finding an instruction sheet, but I posted the instructions over on APUG at:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/30192-nikor-cut-film-tank.html

Tobywan
26-Nov-2014, 05:44
Do a search for homemade btzs tubes. When I first started doing 4x5 I built some and still use them.

Jeff Dexheimer
27-Nov-2014, 14:19
Jobo tanks and reels are currently being made, are incredibly easy to use and they give nice even development.