PDA

View Full Version : 11x14 Camera recommendation?

michael Allen
9-Dec-2004, 09:08
I was given some good information relating to my possible format change up to 11x14 in a previous thread I started.
Can anyone that has worked or is currently working in this format recomnend a maker.
I have narrowed my choices down to the Canham (light weight but $6000.00), Wisner P lightweight (lightweight $4000.00, delivery issues?), or Phillips (If I can get it?) I'm leaning towards the Wisner.
Any other suggestion's would also be greatly appreciated.

Gem Singer
9-Dec-2004, 10:11
Hi Michael,

It's a "no brainer". Jim, at Midwest Photo Exchange, in Columbus, Ohio, has a new (demo) 11x14 Tachihara listed on his website for $2,995. He also lists the 11x14 wooden Tachihara film holders for $299. Don't under estimate the build quality of the Japanese Tachihara cameras. They have been making cameras for a long time. Jim will be back in the store tomorrow (Friday) at 10AM Eastern. You can E-mail him today (jim@mpex.com).

Sal Santamaura
9-Dec-2004, 10:55
Last I heard Dick Phillips has one new 11x14 left. Contact him now if you want it!

John Z.
9-Dec-2004, 12:29
I have the Wisner P and like it alot. The best advice would be to talk to Jim at Midwest as suggested above; I bought my camera through him and it was easy. You can talk to him about the different models of cameras at the same time. I suspect there is normally less of a delivery issue if you go through the dealer, rather than ordering directly from the factory.

Oren Grad
9-Dec-2004, 12:40
The 11x14 Tachihara is *extremely* heavy - manufacturer's specification is 15 kg. Yes, that's kilograms, not pounds.

e
9-Dec-2004, 13:49
If you are interested in the Wisner "P" series I'm a Wisner ULF dealer and am having (1) new 7x17, and have already in (1) 12x20 P with 11x14 reducing back (due in) within 2 weeks. If you got the 12x20 with 11x14 back you would have 2 cameras in one.If you are set on an 11x14 alone it will take 6 to 12 months to get it in. I live 1.5 hours from the Wisner factory and will go through the camera personally before shipping to you. This is very, very important. You can visit my website www.deleon-ulf.com for more info or contact me personally. Emile.

Robert Musgjerd
9-Dec-2004, 14:40
Go with the Canham or Philips save yourself a lot of problems I will be ordering a 14x17 canaham from Jim at midwest
when he gets back Fri no more Wisner B.S for me.Good luck with whatever camera you choose

CXC
9-Dec-2004, 19:23
If that's not a typo, then the Tachi weighs just about double the Canham. Then again, the price is half, and the availability is today. Still, I vote for the Canned Ham. Assuming it is too late to get the Phillips, that is.

clay harmon
10-Dec-2004, 04:51
Dick Phillips had two ready-to-ship horizontal only 11x14s as of two weeks ago from a batch he made last year. If you will not be needing a reversible back, then his camera would be a really good option.

Jan Van Hove
10-Dec-2004, 05:03
Clay ,

For how much does Dick Phillips sells the 11x14 cameras ? I never see a price when people discuss those cameras...

Thanks

PJ

michael Allen
10-Dec-2004, 06:11
Clay and Sal,

I spoke with Dick a couple weeks ago and he's got one 11x14 that's gone and the other is iffy, the customer isn't sure if he wants it or not. Dick spent along time on the phone with me answering all my questions, he took my number and assured me if someone was selling one or the buyer of the new one backed out he would give me a call. I would like to hold out for a Phillips but if all fails I'm leaning towards the Canham, thanks for all the help.

clay harmon
10-Dec-2004, 08:02
Well, both the Canham and the Phillips are very nice, very usable cameras. I have Canhams in 12x20 and 7x17, and I really enjoy using them. They strike the right balance between rigidity and beefiness and weight. I think there are some other ULF cameras that are built like tanks, but the additional mass introduces other problems in using them, such as sore backs and reluctance to pull them out of the trunk. I can still put the Canham 12x20 on a tripod and carry it over my shoulder for a reasonable distance. You just don't feel like doing that with a 32 pound camera and a 10 pound tripod.

Another format option you may want to consider is the 10x12. Keith made a conversion back for my 7x17 in this format for me last year, and I think he has another complete camera he made at the same time. I know that Quality Camera in Atlanta has several holders and boxes of new Tri-X in this size as well. Photowarehouse will provide all the FP-4 in this size you would every need.

It is a really functional format. The camera feels no different to operate and manuever than an 8x10, but the negative just feels a lot bigger - because it is! It has 50% more area, yet almost every lens you can use on an 8x10 will work on the 10x12.

Steve Nieslony
10-Dec-2004, 10:34
As a user of Keith Canham's cameras, including a 12x20 and 7x17 (same as Clay) - I would recommend a Canham whole heartedly.

Keith's cameras balance the need for sturdiness and weight... and you cannot beat his customer service. In addition, if Keith states he will be done with it on a certain date, you can be assured that the item is shipping on that date.

Some things to note about the Canham ULF cameras... there is a thread under the front standard so that you can attach a Bogen long lens support when using longer bellows extensions - thus creating additional stability.

Make sure that you get the threads on the top of the rear and front standards so that you can add a wind stabilizer (AWB - sold by Quality I believe) when you need that extra ridgidity. If you opt for a 7x17, 8x20 or 12x20 which are horizontal only... add another threaded piece to the upper part of the left side of the rear standard so that when you do decide to do a verytical, you can use any monopod and stabilize the weight when flipping your camera 90 degrees. These are options that Keith will add if he is making the camera for you.

Good luck in making your final choice.

Steve

Jan Van Hove
10-Dec-2004, 11:15
Just so you know, It might interest some of you that a dealer in germany (www.greiner-photo.de ) has a Phillips 11x14 in stock as we speak, as I said earlier I don't know for how much those cameras usually sell, but he has it listed on his website at 3450 euros (roughly 5000 USD), which seems to me as reasonable...

I'd buy it if I had the ,money, but hey, if it makes someone else happy, i'm happy too...

Cheers,

PJ VH

Steve Hamley
10-Dec-2004, 13:12
Folks,

I've actually seen the 11x14 Tachihara at Midwest, and the posted weight is about right. It is HEAVY.

Steve

John Z.
10-Dec-2004, 20:13
Just one additional point to make for the next 11X14 purchase; weight is indeed a huge factor; make sure you get something portable--otherwise you won't use the camera!
Also, I note that some recommend the Canham and some the Wisner. It is a matter of personal preference; I have a camera from both manufacturers. They are different--best advice is to compare; Canham has locking levers, Wisner has twist knobs, etc.

Michael Jones
13-Dec-2004, 10:36
If you can live with the landscape orientation, a Phillips is the only choice. If you need both, any of the previously mentioned will work. The weight and controls will likely be your major consideration. Always remember that if you don't like the way your camera handles, you will not be as "in touch" with your photography as your could be and your vision will suffer. Effort wrestling with your camera can be better focused (pardon the pun) into your photography. Good luck.

Mike

John Kasaian
14-Dec-2004, 22:16
FWIW, I suggest getting a Burk &James---probably the most reasonably priced 11x14 you'll find. That way, you'll have enough money left over for a couple of film holders, a heavy tripod(and I mean heavy!) and a good lens like a 355mm G Claron or 19" RD Artar. My 2-cents.