PDA

View Full Version : Replacement ground glass for my arca Swiss

steveo
17-Nov-2014, 14:33
I've got an old arca Swiss model b and I'm having difficulty focusing even with a loupe. I mostly use an F8 90mm and it's quite dark, I've already got a fresnel and that seems to be okay.

What I'm wondering is will I see any benefits from a modern screen with or without a new fresnel?

David Karp
17-Nov-2014, 16:16
When I got my old Crown Graphic the GG image was kind of dark and dingy. I was thinking about getting a new screen, but first decided to wash the GG and Fresnel a bath in lukewarm water with a little bit of dishwashing soap. The bath did the trick. It was just old and dirty. The GG/Fresnel combo is actually very nice.

Just make sure to keep track of how it all goes back together correctly to make sure that you don't make things worse!

steveo
18-Nov-2014, 02:40
When I got my old Crown Graphic the GG image was kind of dark and dingy. I was thinking about getting a new screen, but first decided to wash the GG and Fresnel a bath in lukewarm water with a little bit of dishwashing soap. The bath did the trick. It was just old and dirty. The GG/Fresnel combo is actually very nice.

Just make sure to keep track of how it all goes back together correctly to make sure that you don't make things worse!

Thanks David, I've tried washing it but the water was pretty clear and the screen doesn't look much cleaner, I'm guessing the either the dealer or previous owner cleaned it up before selling it on.

steveo
15-Jan-2015, 04:05
Okay I've come back round to this now New Year is out the way.

I'm trying to decide between a generic Yanke Focusing Screen (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YANKE-G45-01-Generic-4x5-Ground-Glass-Focusing-Screen-Bright-/161289764609?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item258d9e7f01) for £35 which is in the UK so no tax and quick delivery or a yanke integrated gg and fresnel (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yanke-Super-Bright-Fresnel-Ground-Glass-For-Arca-Swiss-4x5-Camera-/181627136461?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a49d229cd)from china and risk the wrath of customs for £55 (+???)

Any thoughts? I've been using the current gg with out the fresnel and I think my hit rate is improving so I wonder if I'd get by with out the fresnel but with a better gg. I've not got enough experience to say the glass is definitely dim and the problem but I have enough to say I'd like grid lines...

denverjims
20-Jan-2015, 19:48
I'm a big believer in Steve Hopf's ground glass products. I have bought several, including his latest borosilicate which i have found easy to focus, very bright. Better than fresnell IMHO. Don't know what import tariffs would be but might be worth it to find out.
Best of luck, Jim

Ari
20-Jan-2015, 20:01
I've used the Yanke 2-in-1 screen and it's very nice, it works quite well for aerial viewing.
Working with too strong a loupe (10x or more) is not really beneficial, as the screen is not that finely ground; but with a loupe of 8x or less, it will work beautifully.
And the Yanke works well with wide angle lenses and long lenses.
I'd say spend the extra money, maybe Customs will look the other way.

Steve Hopf does make very good GG, but shipping outside the US is prohibitive; shipping a Hopf screen to Canada costs $50.

denverjims
20-Jan-2015, 21:30
Ari is right and I meant to include shipping in addition to tariff costs to consider.
Email Steve to find out. He's very responsive & will be straight w/ you. I'm sure he's shipped out of country before.
Also, some of our Euro brethren might know a 'local', more affordable equivalent.

steveo
22-Jan-2015, 05:06
Steve Hopf GG looks lovely and very reasonable but his p+p at $45 is a bit much, though I expect that figure is out side his control.

Cheers Ari, I've got a 10x loupe I bought on impulse which I've had some luck with but, as you say, its difficult to differentiate the image from the grain so I mainly use the 4x one and sometimes just pull out the 10x to confirm. I'll look at the import taxes and work out what the gamble is.

steveo
14-Jul-2015, 01:06
Gutted, Pulled my camera out the bag for this first time in a couple of months and my lovely clear Yanke GG has broken. I found my 150mm at the bottom of my backpack I can only assume the lens got between the glass and a hard place on the way down.

Not sure whether to get another one or try a different brand. I was quite happy with it on the half dozen times I used it.