PDA

View Full Version : Shutter CLA

Michael Lloyd
14-Nov-2014, 17:18
I found two places to have a shutter repaired or CLA'd, depending on what they find. S.K Grimes and Flutot's. Both are about the same price. Flutot's has a longer lead time. Any opinions or other options?

Both of my Copal 3's have issues. The "sound" good at higher shutter speeds (I know... sounds good does not mean it's right) but if I set either to 1, 1/2, 1/4, or 1/8th second the shutter stays open for seconds. It gets faster but it's way off. Like 1s is more like 8 seconds.

Are Copal 3's more prone to being screwed up than 0's or 1's?

Next question. Do I need to have a lens mounted on a board or can I do it?. Technically it's too late to ask the question, I already moved all of my lenses that were on Sinar boards to Linhof boards. I was just curious.

Alan Gales
14-Nov-2014, 17:57
Both S.K. Grimes and Flutot's have excellent reputations. Take your pick.

Buy one of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/131992-USA/Rodenstock_260600_Metal_Lens_Wrench.html Changing lens shutters from board to board is extremely easy with this tool.

I'll let someone more knowledgeable answer your Copal 3 question.

Michael Lloyd
14-Nov-2014, 18:01
Both S.K. Grimes and Flutot's have excellent reputations. Take your pick.

Buy one of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/131992-USA/Rodenstock_260600_Metal_Lens_Wrench.html Changing lens shutters from board to board is extremely easy with this tool.

I'll let someone more knowledgeable answer your Copal 3 question.

Very good.

Finally, I bought something right. I have that very same wrench

Michael Lloyd
14-Nov-2014, 18:03
I suppose getting my hands on a working Calumet Shutter Tester is a long shot? I've done a search and every one I found has been sold. Ebay has some testers that someone recently built but IDK if that's a good idea...

Alan Gales
14-Nov-2014, 18:15
I suppose getting my hands on a working Calumet Shutter Tester is a long shot? I've done a search and every one I found has been sold. Ebay has some testers that someone recently built but IDK if that's a good idea...

I use a Calumet Shutter Speed Tester. They show up on Ebay from time to time. They were averaging about $150.00 for a nice example. I haven't checked on any for a while though.

BrianShaw
14-Nov-2014, 18:38
Steve's camera repair in Culver City CA has done exceptional work for me, and quick too

vinny
14-Nov-2014, 18:43
do you have a smart phone? there's an iphone shutter speed tester and also a program called "audacity" I believe that allows you to use your computer's mic to record the amount of time the shutter stays open.

Michael Lloyd
14-Nov-2014, 19:09
I use a Calumet Shutter Speed Tester. They show up on Ebay from time to time. They were averaging about $150.00 for a nice example. I haven't checked on any for a while though.

eBay doesn't have anything. I looked about a year ago and they didn't have anything then. The circuit isn't too difficult. I should probably think about building one.

do you have a smart phone? there's an iphone shutter speed tester and also a program called "audacity" I believe that allows you to use your computer's mic to record the amount of time the shutter stays open.

I should have known there would be an app for that :) I'll see what I can find.

Steve's camera repair in Culver City CA has done exceptional work for me, and quick too

Steve's Camera Repair. I'll look them up. Thanks for the info

Oren Grad
14-Nov-2014, 22:23
Bob Watkins also does Copal shutters:

http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/Pages/services.html

He cleaned up the gummed-up leaf shutter in a Mamiya TLR lens for me just recently.

Steve Goldstein
15-Nov-2014, 04:07
Frank Marshman (Camera Wiz) in VA has closed his storefront but is still doing shutters out of his house. Send me a PM if you can't find his contact info.

ImSoNegative
15-Nov-2014, 07:21
Paul Ebel is who I have used, He has cla'd 3 or 4 shutters for me in the past, very reasonable rates and I got them back fairly quickly