PDA

View Full Version : Needed Durst Laborator 54 "Unipla" baseboard

Risto J Nyman
12-Nov-2014, 00:40
Hi,
I`m newbie in this forum and in large format too. Allthough I have had Laborator 54 nearly twenty years, I have used it nearly at all.

Now I`m intending to make first 4x5" prints with my Rodagon and Componon, having them in Lapla-lensbord. Lapla needs a hole of about 55 mm. Laborator turret measures inside about 89 mm. So a diameter of Lapla-board is 89 mm with a hole at least 55 mm.
I can make a temporary "Unipla" from aluminium or plywood.

I thought, that someone could help me to find a better solution. I have tried to find Unipla from Ebay, but not succeed in it yet. Have I any other substitutes?

Best Regards, Risto

ic-racer
12-Nov-2014, 07:15
All my Laplas measure exactly 78mm and fit in the turret and are marked "LAPLA" on the rim. I suspect your lenses are not mounted on Lapla, but some smaller board. Check for Laplas on ebay.

Risto J Nyman
12-Nov-2014, 10:50
Thank you ic-racer for your answer. You are wright, both lensboards measure outside diameter 78 mm.
Durst Componon-S 5.6/150 is in Lapla, from Ebay, just like in this picture:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/objectif-componon-Schneider-150mm-/151472683205?pt=FR_IQ_PhotoVideo_Photo_Objectifs_Zooms&hash=item234479b8c5

I have put Rodagon to a lensboard, which appears to be like Autopla in Ebay, with a hole, diameter 49 mm for my uncoated Rodagon 5.6/150 mm lens. I didn`t find just the same image in Ebay, but one with a smaller lensdiameter though. No text in the rim, but in bottom, 5545-2. I suppose, it is an item number. Otherwise like this in Ebay:
http://www.ebay.es/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2054436.m570.l1313&_nkw=Autopla&_sacat=0

I checked Durst Laborator54 removable turret, inside diameter of 88,55 mm. Both, Lapla and Autopla, outside diameter is 78 mm. They are too small directly into the turret. Then, what is missing?

Risto

Luis-F-S
12-Nov-2014, 20:35
Some photos of your setup may help. If you can remove the turret and install a Unipla, you could then use the Lapla on it. Uniplas are pretty cheap on Ebay, I bought 2 a while back as spares for around $14 US ea. L

Risto J Nyman
13-Nov-2014, 00:27
Thanks Luis, I have to wait untill find one from Ebay or this Forum.

Some photos of your setup may help. If you can remove the turret and install a Unipla, you could then use the Lapla on it. Uniplas are pretty cheap on Ebay, I bought 2 a while back as spares for around $14 US ea. L

Risto

ic-racer
13-Nov-2014, 07:45
I don't think the rotating turret removes from your enlarger. But that is OK because the holes are about 10mm bigger than the LAPLA plate. The thumbscrew should hold it firmly in place. All these lenses are mounted with 78mm plates.

Risto J Nyman
13-Nov-2014, 13:19
I don't think the rotating turret removes from your enlarger. But that is OK because the holes are about 10mm bigger than the LAPLA plate. The thumbscrew should hold it firmly in place. All these lenses are mounted with 78mm plates.

Here I tried to upload one photo, including Durst 54 turret, "Lapla ? " inside it + Componon5.6/150 mm, also Autopla + Rodagon 5.6/150 mm.

Risto

Ginette
14-Nov-2014, 10:13
Here I tried to upload one photo, including Durst 54 turret, "Lapla ? " inside it + Componon5.6/150 mm, also Autopla + Rodagon 5.6/150 mm.

Risto

Hello Risto,

The black part around your Componon 150mm is unknow to me (Autopla?)
Can you post the lens stage of your Durst and we will be able to tell you if a standard Unipla (that will take all the Lapla) will fit onto or if the lens stage was modified.

Ginette

Risto J Nyman
14-Nov-2014, 15:38
Hi Ginette,

lens stage measures 88 mm, that should be Unipla´s diameter too. Look at the photo L54 (down) and IM in the link.

I have never seen this Instruction Manual in english:

http://www.aphog.de/wp-content/downloads/DuKa/Durst/durst-laborator-54-bedienungsanleitung.pdf
Look at page 5.and a picture of L54. Reference numbers 13 and 14. You can see, in the middle, lens; then black "Lapla"; number 13, a bright ring (which is a missing part), black part removable turret? in the hole of bellows.(lens stage).

Look the photo: Inside diameter is 88 mm, then a missing part, Laplas 78 mm outside diameter.
Hope this is clear enough ;)

Best Regards, Risto

Ginette
14-Nov-2014, 19:24
Hi Ginette,

lens stage measures 88 mm, that should be Unipla´s diameter too. Look at the photo L54 (down) and IM in the link.

I have never seen this Instruction Manual in english:

http://www.aphog.de/wp-content/downloads/DuKa/Durst/durst-laborator-54-bedienungsanleitung.pdf
Look at page 5.and a picture of L54. Reference numbers 13 and 14. You can see, in the middle, lens; then black "Lapla"; number 13, a bright ring (which is a missing part), black part removable turret? in the hole of bellows.(lens stage).

Look the photo: Inside diameter is 88 mm, then a missing part, Laplas 78 mm outside diameter.
Hope this is clear enough ;)

Best Regards, Risto

Sorry not to be able to identify the part that you need for holding the Lapla on this specific Laborator 54 but I can tell you that the Unipla (and also the Vapla) will not fit onto. Unipla diameter is 200mm. Unipla and Vapla fit on the Durst 138 and the Durst 184.

Is another member know this model?

ic-racer
15-Nov-2014, 07:39
Is that a helicoid mount? That would make sense because I think the L54 it is an autofocus enlarger. The helicoid mount would used for the fine-tuning of the focus. Looks like the part that accepts the lensboard is missing.
Here is a picture from my archive that, I believe, shows a L54 with the lensboard attachment intact. The LATIRAD turret in the manual is for filters and is not the equivalent of a TRIPLA lens turret:

Risto J Nyman
15-Nov-2014, 10:45
Many, many thanks for you ic-racer and Ginette too. I have to say now, when seeing your photo, that it is.

But I have not found it, seeking many times, before asking.
Anyway, yesterday I saw it in the manual - but this is very good photo of it. Yes, in the manual said, it is for variator-sharpening system and when reading, I had a faint thought of micro-focusing, as you mentioned too. It helps, but at least I had a feeling, that i have to make the final sharpening.
I was astonished, that there were only a few photos of L54 on the forum sites and this yours ic-racer, is maybe the only one, taken under the lens stage.
This ring takes Laplas (78 mm) in and outside diameter, which goes into turret, is 88 - 89 mm.

Now I have only one very tiny problem, where to find one? But already very glad to know.:)

ic-racer
15-Nov-2014, 15:22
Did you take the black collar off the focusing stage alread (looks like you took if off for the picture of the lenses). Now you should have a flat surface (except for the red-filter holder). Now use any flat lensboard and hold it on using the three holes for the screws that held the other in place. Drill a hole for the red filter holder. Mount your lens through the hole using a locking ring.

Risto J Nyman
15-Nov-2014, 23:54
Did you take the black collar off the focusing stage alread (looks like you took if off for the picture of the lenses). Yes wright, I took it off.

Now you should have a flat surface (except for the red-filter holder). Now use any flat lensboard and hold it on using the three holes for the screws that held the other in place. Drill a hole for the red filter holder. Mount your lens through the hole using a locking ring.

Very good idea again from you and this solution is cheap, thanks. I´ll look at it today after a cup coffee. I`ll do according to your suggestion first, sure.
I`ll measure the place for lensboard, having though, f.e. those small Toyo- and Linhof-extra plates in shelf, or I can make one of the wright size from aluminium (3 -4 mm ) today without any costs. As a locking ring I can use those "xplas", what ever the right name is, seeing so many different.

Plan two but later on. I was looking for ebay, thinking two possibilities
a) Try to find cheap Durs 606 with variable shapening. They seem to have helicoid sharpening ring of the same size too and are medium format.
In Ebay f.e. http://www.ebay.com/itm/221604117692?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Allthogh the shipment is very affordable to Europe. But,with time, could be find from neighborhood countries. Or as a part the helicoid only.
b1) Thinking posibilities to carve the missing part from this kind unit, 6x9 Durst, and try to screw it to the lens stage. :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221604117692?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Thanks very much again ic-racer.

ic-racer
16-Nov-2014, 07:40
Good idea to look for the part on another enlarger. I spent a couple years looking for the correct color head for my L1840. While looking you can even make a temporary lensboard from mat-board and start using the enlarger.

Risto J Nyman
4-Dec-2014, 04:57
Hi,

I made a lensboard quickly. It can do the job.

I had also a plan two, to get a helicoid ring from ebay. I got it yesterday, quite quick.
But, it is a little bit loose in contact.

If anybody could give me a suggestion, how to make that microthread staple. Should I use some grease in the tube. Or something else?
Of course I could fix it in the otherways strict, but the goal is to be able to use micro sharpening too. It is not necessary, but I should like to do the last sharpening with the loupe and helicoid, if possible.

I found an other lubrication issue as well. I tried to find an answer from the older posts in this forum. It has been asked before too. But lets make a new try.
How should I lubricate the springs, both, in the main column and the head? All ideas are welcome.

Thanks for the answers and a very nice forum, with the knowledgement of master level and the very fine examples of images.

Best Regards, Risto

Risto J Nyman
4-Dec-2014, 19:41
I tried to change the name of this thread to more general and clear. I should be i.e.: Old Durst Laborator 54 usage issues.