PDA

View Full Version : best used 75mm for 4x5 under 300 dolars

joseprfoto
10-Nov-2014, 14:25
nikkor sinaron fujinon grandagon ....

Old-N-Feeble
10-Nov-2014, 14:47
If you're trying to save money and don't need a center filter then have a look at the Horseman Super ER... an excellent lens going pretty cheap on eBay. Your list is good but you may not find a decent Nikkor SW or Grandagon for less than $300. The Sinaron or Fujinon you might though. There's also Super Angulon and Ilex Wide Angle (SA clone).

ImSoNegative
10-Nov-2014, 14:56
I bought my grandagon from keh bargan grade for 225, great performer

Bob Salomon
10-Nov-2014, 15:41
If you're trying to save money and don't need a center filter then have a look at the Horseman Super ER... an excellent lens going pretty cheap on eBay. Your list is good but you may not find a decent Nikkor SW or Grandagon for less than $300. The Sinaron or Fujinon you might though. There's also Super Angulon and Ilex Wide Angle (SA clone).

Just because neither Horseman or Nikon made a center filter or offered a center filter does not mean that the lens does not need one. Any lens made like the Grandagon-N and the Super Angulon will need one for optimal performance. They all have fall-off.

Old-N-Feeble
10-Nov-2014, 16:21
Just because neither Horseman or Nikon made a center filter or offered a center filter does not mean that the lens does not need one. Any lens made like the Grandagon-N and the Super Angulon will need one for optimal performance. They all have fall-off.

You're right, Bob, but I didn't state he doesn't need a CF. I usually use them on any lens even moderately wide. However, many others prefer not to use them. Please keep in mind the OP's budget... under $300. A used Grandagon-N with CF will cost him $700-1000. There's a 75mm Horseman ER on eBay at this very moment for $204.

Kirk Gittings
10-Nov-2014, 16:38
I'm probably a bit of a outsider on this question but I actually like a bit of falloff..............

Old-N-Feeble
10-Nov-2014, 17:27
Sometimes I do too, Kirk, but I generally use a CF and decide later what to do with the print. I understand what you're implying... that the OP may not need a CF and I agree. Many folks feel very comfortable making that decision at the time of exposure but I'm a coward so I want to save that option for later.

My suggestions were with respect to the OP's budget constraints. He just can't buy a decent WA with CF for less than $300. OTOH, he can buy a very good WA now, such as the Topcor ER, and sell it later for very little loss if he wants something else.:)

Kirk Gittings
10-Nov-2014, 17:37
Moment of unvarnished honesty........I make my living largely with WA lenses and have never owned or used a center filter for my commercial or my art photography............

Peter De Smidt
10-Nov-2014, 18:02
A little fall-off saves on the edge burning, at least with black and white.

Kirk Gittings
10-Nov-2014, 20:56
Nor have I ever owned a compendium shade..........

KISS

A good camera and good lenses, a decent light meter and tripod, a few filters, one film, one developer, lots of film, lots of gas and water, some basic food like hard cheeses and nuts and some free time and a landscape to explore..............my needs are simple. The world is amazing.

Mark Sampson
10-Nov-2014, 21:02
+1 Kirk. Although there are times I would have liked a better lens shade...

Eric Leppanen
10-Nov-2014, 23:00
Falloff plus some front rise is a great way to hold highlights at one edge of the frame, such as clouds in a brightly lit sky... :cool:

joseprfoto
11-Nov-2014, 01:07
Sinaron 75 for example Its equal to grandagon ? In ebay Its possible ?

IanG
11-Nov-2014, 02:03
Another +1 for Kirk's comments.

I use a 75mm f8 Super Angulon (pre-MC) as the standard lens on my 617 camera, it's an excellent sharp lens and I paid about 150-160 euros for it about 6 years ago, it was sold as second hand but in fact was new in its box had never been mounted on a lens board..

I never use a lens hood and I don't have a centre filter. If I found a filter at the right price I'd probably get one however most of the time I've had to work handheld and couldn't afford the loss of speed with a filter.

Ian

Emmanuel BIGLER
11-Nov-2014, 02:10
Sinaron 75 for example Its equal to grandagon ? In ebay Its possible ?

Yes, recent models 6,8-75 mm Sinarons are identical to the Rodenstocks Grandagon-N 6,8 - 75 mm and you can find them on ebay. The 6,8 - 90 mm is easier to find than the 6,8 - 75 mm, though.
Beware however that some Sinaron lenses are on a proprietary Sinar DB mount i.e. without shutter.
So in any case the model of leaf shutter installed on the lens should be clearly stated by the vendor.

The Rosetta Stone for Sinaron lenses :
Sinaron-S = Apo-Sironar-N f/5,6 - 6 elements - 72°
Sinaron SE = Apo-Sironar-S f/5,6 - 6 elements - 75°
Sinaron WS = Apo-Sironar-W f/5,6 - 7 elements - 80°
Sinaron-W = Grandagon-N f/6,8 - 6 elements or f/4,5 - 8 elements - 102° or 105°
Apo-Sinaron = Apo-Ronar f/9 4 elements - 42 ° to 48°
Sinaron-WE = Apo Grandagon f/4,5 - 8 elements - 110° to 120°

Armin Seeholzer
11-Nov-2014, 03:29
I'm probably a bit of a outsider on this question but I actually like a bit of falloff..............

Kirk you are not a outsider you are the insider like me to;--)))
I tried one on my 47mm Super Angulon and on my 55mm Grandagon 10 years ago but only once since then its under dust!!!

ic-racer
11-Nov-2014, 08:30

Although many of the 6x9cm Horseman lenses cover 4x5in, that one does not. I fact, at 120mm it has the smallest image circle of the entire lens lineup. I think it is the sharpest of the Horseman 6x9 lenses, however.

Kirk Gittings
11-Nov-2014, 08:48
+1 Kirk. Although there are times I would have liked a better lens shade...

I have never had any real problems that a dark slide couldn't handle. I don't know why. It must have something to do with modern multi-coated lenses and not shooting much towards the sun? Except however as an architectural photographer shooting interiors oftentimes I have light sources in or near the frame. But in those situations I had an assistant always carefully holding the shade very close to the edge of the frame-very difficult to do when you are alone.

Robbie Bedell
11-Nov-2014, 19:11
Armin, Your inbox is full!

Lightbender
11-Nov-2014, 22:00
I would suggest one of the brighter 75mm lenses.. Schneider f5.6 or Rodenstock f4.5 or Nikon f4.
-Not sure if fuji makes a bright 75mm, but they are a good buy if you can find one.
At this wide of an angle, it gets very difficult to have enough light to see the corners.

With some patience, you can find one for under $300. I bought a 65mm f4.5 Rodenstock for $250.

Lightbender
11-Nov-2014, 22:04
..At 90mm f8 is fine, but wider than that is when I run into problems getting the corners in focus.

Regarding light falloff, at 75mm, I wouldn't worry about it.

richardman
11-Nov-2014, 22:20
Someone was asking for $400+ for a Nikkor SW 75mm. After many months, he eventually dropped it to $300, which is when I bought it. So be patient. Lots of LF lens dumping now...

StoneNYC
11-Nov-2014, 22:23
I'm not sure but "8x10 user" was selling about 6 of the Grandagon-N's with slight flaws for $400 a little while back, might still have one?

Never had a center filter with that lens and never had any light falloff that was noticeable nor unpleasant.

I use this example often as it shows different light intensities in different corners. 4x5, TMY-2 in Rodinal, Grandagon-N no center filter, just a few movements for lines (not perfect but I only had the lens a few weeks at the time).