PDA

View Full Version : Newbie challenges with Rollei Ato 2.1

Heinakenka
10-Nov-2014, 09:59
Hi,
I shot my first ever shots with my Sinar 8*10 using Rollei ATO 2.1 film.

I used light meter (set to ISO25) for metering light... the results were completely underexposed. :( Basically there was nothing on the negative.

Developing was done with XTOL 1+4 for 5min, +20C.

So any idea what went wrong?

br, Hannu

Henrim
10-Nov-2014, 11:33
Unless you accidentally put the film in fixer before developing it I'd suspect that something went wrong in the camera. The shutter is working properly and it was cocked (or is that a self-cocking shutter in that Sinar)? Shutter speed and aperture were set according to light meter reading? You did remember to remove the darkslide before tripping the shutter?

pointlessphotographer
10-Nov-2014, 12:05
I'm newbie with this film too. Just taken couple frames to ATO 2.1 and here's one of them.
http://flickr.com/#/photos/pointlessphotographer/15080402990/
There's also developing recipe in remarks.
Hope this helps!

BRegs
Tero

Heinakenka
10-Nov-2014, 12:08
Shutter is Sinar Cobal with the cocking cable. Anyway it would not fire without cocking.
Shutter does follow the time setting but I have no means to measure if the times are correct. Settings were according the meter.
Yes, dark slide was removed :)

The negative is not completely transparent. We tried portrait and you can see the outline of the person in the negative.

Heinakenka
10-Nov-2014, 12:12
I'm newbie with this film too. Just taken couple frames to ATO 2.1 and here's one of them.
http://flickr.com/#/photos/pointlessphotographer/15080402990/
There's also developing recipe in remarks.
Hope this helps!

BRegs
Tero

Thanks,
Seems that you used ISO2 so that would make big difference. I used 25 as said earlier.
Also you had different developer but would that make difference to the exposure?

Henrim
10-Nov-2014, 13:22
The negative is not completely transparent. We tried portrait and you can see the outline of the person in the negative.

All right then, sorry I thought the sheet was clear.

So that is a serious underexposure. I would then try to figure out my own EI for the film and the dev. I'd expose an other sheet of film by pulling the darkslide 1/4 way out. Then without moving the camera I'd take an other exposure on the same sheet, this time the slide pulled half way out. Then 3/4 out and finally completely out. Then develop as the previous sheet. That would give you four different exposures on the same sheet (may be I'd start by opening up a stop from the meter reading). I reckon there are more sophisticated methods to do testing but this should give you a starting point without wasting too much precious film.

pointlessphotographer
10-Nov-2014, 13:57
Thanks,
Seems that you used ISO2 so that would make big difference. I used 25 as said earlier.
Also you had different developer but would that make difference to the exposure?

Yep, exposure was metered at ISO2. It was a sunny day if remember correctly :) metering is taken from mark on the pot which is on shadow side.
I think it wont make a difference to the exposure what developer is used when mix and developing time is "correct".

john borrelli
10-Nov-2014, 15:50
Can't speak to developer issues and know nothing about your film, but I am an LF expert on mistakes. One of many possibilities with seriously underdeveloped film can be due to loading the film backwards in the film holder.

Heinakenka
10-Nov-2014, 20:52
Can't speak to developer issues and know nothing about your film, but I am an LF expert on mistakes. One of many possibilities with seriously underdeveloped film can be due to loading the film backwards in the film holder.

:) I had the mark up right when sliding the film to the holder.

Like in this image:

http://www.butzi.net/articles/imgs/insert.jpg

Mark Sampson
10-Nov-2014, 20:58
Although I've never used any Rollei film, I'd guess that 5 minutes in XTOL 1:4 @ 20C would leave any film seriously underdeveloped.

Heinakenka
10-Nov-2014, 21:00
Although I've never used any Rollei film, I'd guess that 5 minutes in XTOL 1:4 @ 20C would leave any film seriously underdeveloped.

Why? What would be better time?

I took the time from this table:
http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php?Film=Rollei+AT&Developer=&mdc=Search

Heinakenka
11-Nov-2014, 21:52
Hi,
I asked from the seller and got following answer:

Thank for your inquiry.
The developing time cannot be good enough for your application, it is too short.
We never have tried xtol, maybe you got this time from the internet.
Try a paper developer: Rollei RHC 1+4 5 Min. should work.
This film has a very steep gradation and is used as lith and copy film.
For pictorial use we recommed a low contrast developer (e.g. RLC1+4, 7 min.).
The nominal speed isn't exactly ISO 25 which is always difficult for an orthochromatic film, it is a littly bit lower.

Best regards,
Stefan
www.macodirect.de

steveo
12-Nov-2014, 06:41
When I tried some Rollei ATP in 120 earlier in year I ended up with rodinal 1+200 and processed as normal for 10 minutes or so, images were okay given I'd forgotten a meter.

plaubel
12-Nov-2014, 09:59
I used ATO 2.1 at 6 and 12 ISO, developed in Xtol 1:2.
Not the finest results, too much contrast ( sorry, I forgot the time, but of cause some more then 10 min.)
I never heard about using Xtol weither at 1:4 nor 5 min. only.
I believe in a mistake there...
Classic film like Fomapan (Arista) needs 7 to 8 min, Xtol 1:1.

If you are interested, you can follow how Jutta figured out, with shown very nice results there.

http://aphog.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=16586&hilit=gebogen%2Cgewogen

Me, I decidednot to use this film again as a normal film.
It's so thin, and too difficult for me for "normal" using.

Cheers,
Ritchie