PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Super Technika

Thomas J. Rodth
8-Dec-2004, 06:08
I have recently come into ownership of a Super Technika (S/N 45615) that I am trying to sell. I have all the goodies, Linhof leather camera case, manuel, all typs of filters etc. Lenses with the collection include the following Linhof lenses: 240 - f5.5, 90 - f6.8, 65 - f6.8, 180 - f5.5, 105 - f3.5, (Schneider Kreuznach) and the following additional lenses: 135 - f5.6 Symmar, 105 - f2.8 Xenotar, 185 - f5.6 Symmar, and 65 - f8.0 Super Angulon. The camera is in good shape with no pinholes in the bellows. I am trying to get an idea of the price of this setup which I plan to sell as a complete set. Can someone provide me with an estimated price?

Tom

David A. Goldfarb
8-Dec-2004, 06:29
Put it on eBay with good pictures and an accurate and complete description and see what you get. The price will depend on the particular model of Technika, condition, which lenses have proper cams, whether the filters are Linhof slip-in filters or another kind, and what other accessories are involved. If there are at least 3 cammed lenses (serial numbers on the cam should match the lens, and also the body if it's older than a Tech V), it would be a more desirable kit than if you only have one or no cammed lenses. If all these lenses are cammed, then you have something quite unusual.

From the range of lenses you list, I'm guessing this is a 6x9 Technika, maybe a Super Tech IV or something of that era? So are there rollfilm backs, and what kind are they? Newer lever-wind backs will be worth more than older knob wind backs, which don't always work properly with modern films.

Bob Salomon
8-Dec-2004, 07:26
Your serial number is for the original Technika III 6x9 camera from about 1954. Before you give a claim for the condition it would be strongly suggested that this camera be properly CLA as there are no repair parts for this model and there are no accessories for this model. If it has been just sitting as opposed to being used for most of its' life a service call will be very important. So will a proper evaluation of the bellow's condition.

Thomas J. Rodth
8-Dec-2004, 09:09
I am new with these large format cameras. What is meant by "this camera be properly CLA ". The camera has been kept in a properly conditioned environment and doesn't appear to have much wear and tare.

Frank Petronio
8-Dec-2004, 09:14
Do an "advanced" search on eBay for completed auctions for "6x9, Technika IIIs" and the related lenses.

Selling items individually will almost always generate more money, but I think that if you counted each lens as being worth $100 to $200 each, and the body worth $300, with the case and accessories as "deal sweeteners" - you are probably in the $1200 range to be realistic. Sell the lens and items individually and you could probably double your money or better, if they are truly in excellent condition. People are cautious with new sellers with limited feedback, especially when they sell a large "lump" of older equipment. If getting some quick cash out of it without a lot of hassle is your goal, you might do better selling to a reputable dealer or eBayer for $1200, and letting them earn their profit by selling it in multiple auctions.

The camera is undoubtedly a beauty, but not many people really want to use a 6x9 Baby Technika III anymore...

Bob Salomon
8-Dec-2004, 09:22
CLA means clean, lubricate and adjust. Something that any good repair service can do.

How long has it been since the camera and lenses have been used?

David A. Goldfarb
8-Dec-2004, 09:39
As far as splitting up the kit goes--I would keep cammed lenses with the kit and sell off any uncammed lenses separately. Lenses for 6x9 aren't in huge demand, and getting new cammed lenses for a Tech III is an iffy proposition (has to be done by an independent shop, and there aren't many who do it), so cammed lenses for a camera like this would make it a more valuable package.

If all of these lenses have been sitting unused for 10 or more years, the lubricants have likely dried up, and someone could be buying 9 shutters in need of cleaning, lubrication, and adjustment, at a cost of $60-100 each.

Thomas J. Rodth
8-Dec-2004, 09:54
Reguarding the lenses, they are all Schneider Kreuznach Synchro-Compu lenses. I don't know if these are cammed lenses. The lenses marked Linhof are: f5.5 - 240 Xenar, f6.8 - 90 Augulon, f6.8 - 65 Augulon, f5.5 - 180 Xenar, and f3.5 - 105 Xenar. The other lenses that are not marked Linhof are: f5.6 - 135 Symmar, 2.8 - 105 Xenotar, f5.6 - 185 Symmar, and f8.0 - 65 Super Angulon. The film container is a Super Rollex 56x72.

Frank Petronio
8-Dec-2004, 10:09
The cam is small flat peice of metal with three arms - it installs into the bed of the camera, under the rails. It should be marked to the corresponding lens with serial number and focal length (probably a combination like 65-105-180). David is right - keep the matching cam, camera and lenses together if possible.

The Super Rollex back is also valuable. It sounds like a very nice set-up - you should do some digital pictures of it from all sides. Do close-ups of all the serial numbers, front, top, bottom, and back views - the better your descriptions - faults and all - the better price you will get.

Thomas J. Rodth
8-Dec-2004, 10:09
The lenses have been sitting for about 10 years but they appear to be functioning very well.

David A. Goldfarb
8-Dec-2004, 12:11
You can have the shutter speeds tested, but if you just want to get a rough idea, set each one on its slowest speed (usually 1 sec), trigger it a few times to exercise the mechanism a bit, and see if it seems accurate. If the 1 sec. speed is more than 2 sec., it's probably time for service, or if the shutter is consistently off, you can test all the speeds of each shutter and make a conversion table for each one. If you can verify that the shutters are accurate, that would be a positive. It might even be worth acquiring a shutter tester for about $80 from Calumet.

Lenses that are particularly desirable in that group would be the 105/2.8 Xenotar--a lens that covers only 6x9, but is quite fast, and the 65/8.0 Super Angulon, which is also a super-wide lens for 4x5".

Bob Salomon
8-Dec-2004, 13:42
" and the 65/8.0 Super Angulon, which is also a super-wide lens for 4x5"."

No, that was a wide lens for 6x9. Since it was only rated for a 15mm circle at f16 at infinity it would not allow for any camera movement on a 4x5 camera. The 5.6 SA, on the other hand, covers 4x5 and allow movements it covers a 170mm circle at f16 at infinity.

These figures are from the Jos. Schneider & Co. brochure 216 VIII of 1968.

Thomas J. Rodth
9-Dec-2004, 08:41
I have digital pictures of the lenses. Front view only. Can you tell if they have a cam by looking at pictures? If you want to see these pictures, how do I attach them in this LF Photo Forum?

David A. Goldfarb
9-Dec-2004, 10:15
http://www.cameraquest.com/jpg4/lint3671.jpg

The cam isn't part of the lens. It's a metal piece that has three lobes and is placed in the bed of the camera. There is probably one in the camera, and there may be others along with the kit. Here are some pictures from the CameraQuest website of a Tech IV 6x9--

http://www.cameraquest.com/lint369.htm (http://www.cameraquest.com/lint369.htm)

If you want to post images on this forum, you need to put them up on the web somewhere and type in a link in HTML. Click on "HTML Quick Reference" for instructions.

My 65/8.0 Super Angulon may have been made for 6x9, but it does just cover 4x5". A newer, wider design would be better, but it does work.

Thomas J. Rodth
11-Dec-2004, 11:53
David, thanks for the pictures they were a big help. Im sorry for asking some dumb questions, but you help me with a few more? What is the purpose of a cam? Can the camera be used without a cam? Is a specific cam only to be used with the 3 specific lenses that it was made for and no other lenses?

Frank Petronio
11-Dec-2004, 13:02
The cam links the particular lens to the rangefinder. You can use any lens on the camera regardless of the cam, simply focus by looking at the image on the ground glass. The cam is custom ground to match those specific (serial numbered) lenses on the older Technikas.

Back when the camera was made, many people used them handheld, and rangefinder focusing was required. Now days most people use tripods and focus on the ground glass, so it may not be as important to the buyer - but it is a nice feature to have at your option.

Bob Salomon
11-Dec-2004, 13:22
"The cam is custom ground to match those specific (serial numbered) lenses on the older Technikas."

And on the later ones as well. But the cam has to be matched by serial number to the camera body and the the three lenses that the cam can be cut for. A properly cammed set has the camera serial number on the bottom and the lens number on the top of the lobe for that lens focal length.

David A. Goldfarb
11-Dec-2004, 13:31
Yes, one of the real attractions of a Technika over other field cameras is that it has a precisely calibrated rangefinder. You can use the camera without the rangefinder, but then there are many field cameras and monorail cameras that might be preferable to a 6x9 Technika.

I like to travel with my 4x5" Technika in part because I have the option of using it on a tripod with movements and groundglass focus like a view camera, or I can use it handheld with the rangefinder. The rangefinder is also handy for portraits in the studio, because you can check focus without removing the filmholder or rollfilm back.

Thomas J. Rodth
27-Feb-2005, 16:02
LINHOF Super Technika 23. I discussed this system last December with Frank Petronio, David Goldfarb, and Bob Salomon. I am a neophyte regarding this camera and am trying to establish a rough value for this camera system and an approach on how to sell it. For example if a lens is only worth $25 on E-bay then it isn’t worth the $100 to CLA it. If you can’t help or not too familiar with this camera can you direct me to direct me to another source.

Linhof Super Technika 23 system is a 2 ¼ X 3 ¼ format camera that looks quite good and shows little physical ware. It includes the following:

1. The Camera, s/n 45615, appears to be in good working condition. There are no pinholes in the in the bellows. The cam is customized for the 65mm, the 105mm, and the 180mm lenses. The view finder appears to be a little cloudy when you look at a light through it, but you can still see through it very well.
2. Linhof Super Rollex 56 x72 for roll film with light brown leather. Includes Operating Instructions. There are 5 Linhof view finder masks for this 2 ¼ x 2 ¾ format Rollex: 65mm, 105mm, 105mm B, 180mm, and 185mm B.
3. The lenses look good and the shutters appear to work consistently, but need CLA as they haven’t been used for some time. They all appear to have varying degrees of fungus on the glass. The Synchro-Compur shutters blades good and work well. All the lenses are mounted on simple lens boards that fit the camera. All the lenses are Schneider-Kreuznach and with the exception of the last three, listed below, carry the Linhof name:

65mm f6.8 Angulon –cam,
105mm f3.5 Xenar – cam,
180mm f5.5 Tele-Xennar – cam,
90mm f6.8 Angulon,
105mm f5.6 – 185mm f12 Symmar,
240mm f5.5 Tele-Xenar,
65mm f8 Angulon,
105mm f2.8 xenotar,
135mm f5.6 – 235mm f12 Symmar

4. Linhof Super Technika Sports Case. A heavy leather carrying case with compartments. No shoulder strap. This case is in a remarkably good condition considering that it is about 50 years old.
5. Linhof Operating Manuel for the Super Technika.
6. A graflex Graphic Film Pack Adapter Good Condition.
7. 20 plus filters of various colors, a lot orange and yellow, and sizes. They are Hoya and Tiffen.
8. 10 different lens shades. Various conditions, not Linhof.

Juergen Sattler
27-Feb-2005, 18:36
Thomas,

I think you got all the questions answered back in December - why are you now asking the same question again?

You must now decide what you want to do - eBay - one big sale, or split it up and sell individually.

Thomas J. Rodth
28-Feb-2005, 11:42
Juergen, back in December I thought the lenses were in good condition from looking at pictures I took of them a year earlier. Now I'm in pocession of the camera and lenses. The lenses definitely need CLA because they have varing degrees of foggyness and probably have some fungus on them. I'm trying to determine if CLAing the different lenses is worth it. If the 240mm lense costs $100 to CLA it and I put it on E-bay and it only sells for $75 that is not good business. If I sold it for $400 it would be worthwild. Looking at E-bay history tells me that a lens that is not working perfectly is not worth much compaired a recently refurbished one. I also know, from my 35mm experience, that some lenses are worth a lot of money while others nobody wants. Does anyone know which lenses are the preferably ones? Additionally, this camera is a Technika 23 not a Technika IV as we discussed in December. Does that make it more in demand? Also, are the lenses limited to this camera's format, 6 X9, or do they fit on other large format cameras which would increase their demand/marketability. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where to send the lenses for CLA? Thanks in advance for your response.