PDA

View Full Version : Switching to Chamonix 4x5 - lens questions

Michael Lloyd
8-Nov-2014, 13:11
I just bought a Chamonix 45N2, I have a Sinar F2, a Linhof Master Technika, and Sinar (forgot the model) 5x7.
I may sell the Master Technika ad I don't use it much. The Sinar... Idk... I like my Sinar's, but I think they'll get to live the rest of their lives in a studio (if I ever get it and the darkroom built). Maybe not so much the 5x7... I bought it for landscape images.

I have the following lenses:

Mounted on Sinar boards at the moment

75mm Sinar Sinaron f4.5 / Copal 0
90mm Rodenstock f6.8 Grandagon-N / Copal 0
210mm*Rodenstock*f5.6 Sironar-N*/ Copal 1
300mm*Rodenstock*f5.6 Sironar-N*/ Copal 3

Mounted on Linhof boards at the moment

90mm Rodenstock f6.8 Grandagon-N / Copal 0 / Recessed lens board
110mm Schneider Kreuznach f5.6 Super Symmar / Copal 1
150mm*Rodenstock*f5.6 Sironar-N / Copal 0 / Recessed lens board
210mm Nikkor-W f5.6 / Copal 1

I want to build a good kit for the Chamonix while leaving some lenses on Sinar boards. The Chamonix uses Linhof boards btw.

Most of the lenses will be on Linhof boards because the Chamonix is going to be my goto field camera (due to its relatively light weight and compactness).

Ultimately I would like to end up with some version of the focal lengths below for the Chamonix

75mm
90mm (or not, see question 1 and 2 below
110mm
150mm
210mm
300mm
450mm (not currently on either list but it's on the way)

Questions:

(1) The 90mm lens mounted for the Linhof is on a recessed lens board. I don't think I need that for the Chamonix and I know I don't for the Sinar. Thoughts? It would be a non-issue but the shutter trip mechanism is screwed up on the recessed lens board. My plan is to move the 90mm lens on the Sinar board to a flat Linhof board. I might sell the Master Technica with the recessed board and 90mm lens once I get the mechanism fixed.

(2) The difference between 90 and 110 doesn't seem like much. Would I be better served to forget about using the 90 on the Chamonix, leave it on the Sinar board, and move the 110 to a Linhof board?

(3) Of the two 210mm lenses which is the better lens, Nikon or Rodenstock? Both are physically in about the same shape, both f5.6, and both on Copal 1 shutters.

Thanks in advance

Old-N-Feeble
8-Nov-2014, 13:51
I'll let others answer your questions but I have a suggestion. How about buying a Linhof-to-Sinar adapter board so both cameras can share the same lenses? You can buy one for around $50.

Michael Lloyd
8-Nov-2014, 14:02
I'll let others answer your questions but I have a suggestion. How about buying a Linhof-to-Sinar adapter board so both cameras can share the same lenses? You can buy one for around $50.

Exactly! I just sat down to Google Linhof to Sinar (or vice versa). Then all lenses fit all cameras. Win / Win! I'll end up with an extra 90mm and 210mm lens but I guess since I already have them that's already the case lol

Old-N-Feeble
8-Nov-2014, 14:50
If it were me I'd test the extra lenses and sell the ones that I no longer need... more money to stock up on film or buy that 450mm lens you don't yet have.:)

BTW, I only have three large format cameras... 4x5 monorail, 8x10 monorail and 4x5 lightweight wooden field. I have no need for any others.

dave_whatever
8-Nov-2014, 14:54

I'd echo that sentiment. There's guys in China/Honkers on ebay selling good quality adaptors.

And no you don't need a recessed board for a 90mm on the Chamonix, you don't even need one for a 65mm.

Old-N-Feeble
8-Nov-2014, 15:01
I'd echo that sentiment. There's guys in China/Honkers on ebay selling good quality adaptors.

And no you don't need a recessed board for a 90mm on the Chamonix, you don't even need one for a 65mm.

I have the original model 45N-1 (upgraded/corrected GG and Fresnel) and don't even need a recessed board for a 38mm SAXL (6x12cm). I use a bag bellows for lenses shorter than 110mm though.

Michael Lloyd
8-Nov-2014, 16:51
I played around with the camera a little this evening. I even exposed a couple of sheets of my old barn. Before I did, I put the 75mm lens on and I could not get it to focus. I had everything compressed as much as I could (but not all the way). The front standard was in the rear hole. I didn't have a 90mm lens to play with but the 110mm lens was easy to focus in the same position. No bag bellows but I only needed about 1/2" or less for it to come into focus and the travel was available in the bellows. I just couldn't get the front standard to come back anymore. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong

I also found out that a 300mm lens and a Copal 3 shutter doesn't work very well on a flat Linhof board. Everything hits. Not sure what to do about that

Old-N-Feeble
8-Nov-2014, 17:41
RE can't focus wide lens: Did you have the rear standard slid forward?

RE Copal #3 hitting everything: I haven't tried a Copal #3 on mine yet but if it's a problem you can get an extender board on eBay for about $55 delivered. If your lens is heavy at all then get the shortest one that will do the trick.

Michael Lloyd
8-Nov-2014, 17:43
Did you have the rear standard slid forward?

I'm going to guess that I didn't. I'll play some more in the morning and see what I get. I'm not sure what to do about the Copal 3 shutter problem. It's not an issue with the Sinar boards

Old-N-Feeble
8-Nov-2014, 17:53
I edited my last post...

richardman
8-Nov-2014, 19:40
AH, I have similar problem my Copal 3. Try to make the aperture lever points downward as you have a little more room there if it is not that way already. On my Cooke PS945, that does the tricky. Otherwise, things are slightly tight.

For 75mm, I have a Nikkor 75mm in a recess board and I have no problem focusing it. If you do not have recessed board, it may make a difference.

I have a Chamonix F1 but things should work the same for you.

Ari
8-Nov-2014, 20:27
For Copal 3 on a Linhof board, you might try using a spacer (i.e. a rubber ring) between the shutter and lens board.
That way, the shutter protrudes a few mm out from the board, and there's less finagling to do.

richardman
8-Nov-2014, 21:09
Yes, I did that with another of my Copal lens. Works great too!

Collas
9-Nov-2014, 02:32
Chamonix make a Linhof/Sinar adaptor.

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/adapters.html

And extenders, too.

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/extension.html

Nick

Michael Lloyd
9-Nov-2014, 05:33
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if I can find a couple of spacers. I have 2 lenses with Copal 3 shutters. I tend to use wide more than long lenses so I can spend some time searching.

richardman
9-Nov-2014, 05:40
For spacer, I just cut one from mat board. I know it may not be 100% even, but it works great....

angusparker
9-Nov-2014, 20:15
Back to the OPs question about 90 versus 110: I find 110mm is sufficient for my Chamonix and even thought I have a 90 basically never use it. The fact that my 110 is f5.6 versus f8 for the 90 also makes a difference. At the long end I almost never use the 450 with extension plate, the whole contraption wobbles around like a giant sail in any breeze, plus you can usually just get closer! My 450mm shots never have the sharpness of the 300mm and it's not the lens as the Fujinon C 450 is the best way to go because of weight.