PDA

View Full Version : Delta 100 compared to TMax 100

Richard M. Coda
7-Nov-2014, 08:54
I am a die-hard TMax 100 (and 400) guy. But I have a box of Delta 100 that I want to try and am going on an extended business trip where I can to bring my cameras and don't have time to test the film before I go. I normally rate TMax 100 at EI 80 and use TMax RS 1:9 for 7 minutes (N) in a Jobo. Anybody have a good starting place for me to play with Delta 100? Thx. Rich

Drew Wiley
7-Nov-2014, 09:31
Delta has a very different kind of curve than TMax films. Instead of a long straight line that dives rather steeply into the lower zones, it has a conspicuous toe. For that reason I personally prefer to expose it a bit more in order to get more of the scene up on the straighter part of the curve, at least in contrasty situations. ASA 50 seems to work best for me, though this film will never give that kind of distinct shadow gradation that TMax films do. It can be lovely in the highlights and upper midtones. I can't comment on this in relation to rotary processing, since I use trays.

Andrew O'Neill
7-Nov-2014, 09:40
Although most of my stuff is on HP5, I did use Delta 100 quite a bit in the 90's. I found it to be sharper than Tmax. In Xtol 1+1, very nice.

djdister
7-Nov-2014, 10:40
I've rated Delta 100 at IE 80 and gotten plenty of shadow detail, but I don't think you can go wrong rating it at 50 as Drew noted.

Andrew O'Neill
7-Nov-2014, 10:53
For N work, EI 80 for me. I think in the New Year, I'll pick up a box or two of 8x10 since I've only shot 4x5...

Michael R
7-Nov-2014, 13:02
It depends to some extent on the developer used, but they are fairly similar from a sensitometric perspective. From an image structure perspective TMax is finer grained. You can't really go wrong downrating by a stop or so to give yourself a larger safety factor

RSalles
7-Nov-2014, 19:16
What I do: if the scene is a bit flat, I use Delta 100. If it's more contrasty, would opt for TMAx - for balance purposes. Different animals, the blacks rendered by Delta 100 are more "strong", has a gray scale more abrupt in deep shadows. Delta 100 is Beethoven, TMax, Debussy,

:D

Best,

Renato

Steve Sherman
7-Nov-2014, 19:18
I have just recently begun to try Delta 100 film in preparation for Pyro processing. While I can not compare it to T Max as I have never use T Max films, my first impressions of the Delta 100 is it is nearly as fast as FP4, appears to have as steep a straight line as the FP 4 when using Extreme Minimal Agitation processing techniques and does not suffer from any reciprosity until after 10 seconds and then at about 30% of what I normally adjust the FP 4 too. Accutance appears to equal if not surpass the FP 4 film.
That said, why would you use a film you are not familiar with when long distances from a return visit while the alternative film is one you love ??
2 cents.

Cheers, SS

Richard M. Coda
7-Nov-2014, 20:34
I work 80-100 hours a week... photography is a love affair that I have to squeeze in when I can. This trip (next week for 6 weeks) presented itself and that's what I have to deal with. I will be bringing TMax, but I have this box of Delta... just thought I'd try it.

MDR
8-Nov-2014, 06:32
What I do: if the scene is a bit flat, I use Delta 100. If it's more contrasty, would opt for TMAx - for balance purposes. Different animals, the blacks rendered by Delta 100 are more "strong", has a gray scale more abrupt in deep shadows. Delta 100 is Beethoven, TMax, Debussy,

:D

Best,

Renato

+1 Delta has a bit more bite and might appear sharper (a bit more contrast) they are both great and very versatile film.

ImSoNegative
8-Nov-2014, 08:17
I like delta, I shoot it at 100 developed in ilfosol 3 1:9, have always had good results and I have had exposure times with it up to 37 minutes good results as well, great film

Bill Burk
8-Nov-2014, 09:18
It depends to some extent on the developer used, but they are fairly similar from a sensitometric perspective. From an image structure perspective TMax is finer grained. You can't really go wrong downrating by a stop or so to give yourself a larger safety factor

Michael R,

That's a great comparison. If I were in Richard M. Coda's shoes, this would tell me to go out and shoot "exactly the same" - and then come back after the trip and figure out the different developing time required to get the same result.

Lenny Eiger
8-Nov-2014, 14:17
Delta 100 is my favorite film, especially for scanning, which likes lots of very tight grains. It is a tiny bit sharper that TMax, but I wouldn't suspect you could see the difference in a print less than 80 winches wide.

I develop it in Xtol on a Jobo, Pyro would also be excellent. The other developers don't hold a candle to those two, IMO. Certainly not for what I've seen in the scanner....

Lenny

Steve Sherman
8-Nov-2014, 15:59
I work 80-100 hours a week... photography is a love affair that I have to squeeze in when I can. This trip (next week for 6 weeks) presented itself and that's what I have to deal with. I will be bringing TMax, but I have this box of Delta... just thought I'd try it.

Lucky You ! Where you off too?

Richard M. Coda
8-Nov-2014, 16:11
Lucky You ! Where you off too?

To spend Thanksgiving and the Holidays with my daughter in Pittsburgh since she can't come home this year for Christmas break. I can work from anywhere (self-employed graphic designer). Plus I have a big client in Pittsburgh, so I have meetings set up already, and they even want me to photograph (digital) some installations for them. :)