PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Huge Lens to produce 1:1 image for a Giant Camera project in London.

Walter Hugo
6-Nov-2014, 11:11
Hi,

I am looking for any advice on purchasing a huge lens for a project in London. I need the lens to produce as large an image circle as possible.
The idea is to make life size images 1:1 therefore the photographic plates will be 7ft by 3ft.
I have seen the Apo Ronar 1800 and am interested in purchasing one or anything similar or if anyone knows of anyone who can make a modern custom lens of this size.

Any info / help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Walter

QCC
6-Nov-2014, 11:36
Walter,

To focus an Apo Ronar 1800mm at 1:1 you are going to need a camera or dark box that will give you 12ft from the nodal point of the lens to the film. Coverage would not be a problem with the lens, but keep in mind the amount of space this camera is going to take up and consider if you plan on being able to focus the camera how you are going to do that.

Bob Salomon
6-Nov-2014, 11:41
Hi,

I am looking for any advice on purchasing a huge lens for a project in London. I need the lens to produce as large an image circle as possible.
The idea is to make life size images 1:1 therefore the photographic plates will be 7ft by 3ft.
I have seen the Apo Ronar 1800 and am interested in purchasing one or anything similar or if anyone knows of anyone who can make a modern custom lens of this size.

Any info / help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Walter

1800mm Apo Ronar covered 60 x 80" at 1:1 at f32. It will be much easier, much much much faster, and much much much much cheaper for you to find an old one. I would doubt that anyone would actually produce a new one. The cost from a lens maker for a one up prototype would be prohibitive and the time to melt glass, cool glass, grind glass, polish glass, coat glass plus make a mount and the parts to mount the elements would be extremely long.

ON the other hand, the 1800 was a big lens! 127mm filter size, 7.24" long, 162mm flange size. Would you need a shutter?

8x10 user
6-Nov-2014, 11:50
I can get the lens in question.... It wont be cheap.

Dan Fromm
6-Nov-2014, 13:32
Not what you asked for but one of them might do: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?27-For-Sale-Wanted/page10 Not mine and I don't know whether either is available. Nikon claims the lens covers 1135 mm at infinity, 2270 at 1:1. The diagonal of 3' x 7' is 1770 mm.

If you don't need the focal length then a 1210/12.5 Apo Nikkor (1760 mm @ 1:1) would do too. In the Apo Ronar line, the 1800 covers 2300 mm @ 1:1, 1200/12.5, 1200/14 and 1200/16 1750 or so. The 1070/14 won't quite make it and neither will the 1200/9 Apo Nikkor.

Nodda Duma
6-Nov-2014, 14:42
Hi Walter,

I am a lens designer by trade and have been for many years. I just joined the forum because Dan Fromm pointed me to your thread from over on the APUG forum. Over there I'm seeing what lenses are needed for larger format cameras, with the idea of putting the most desired lens up on Kickstarter. I'll be asking over here soon, too.

I could easily design a lens that meets your needs and get it fabricated and assembled, if you are interested in a custom lens. Additionally, if it turns out to be a useful design then others might be interested in it as well, benefiting the LF community as a whole.

I do this on the side because it's fun (and it doesn't conflict with my regular job). Let me know if you think I can help.

-Jason

TheToadMen
6-Nov-2014, 14:50
Maybe you could ask Reinhold Schable for help? http://www.re-inventedphotoequip.com/Home.html.
He has beautiful, simple and affordable (very) ultra large format lenses.

Ari
6-Nov-2014, 15:44
Well-known and well-respected member Andrew Plume has two of them for sale: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?117429-FS-Two-1800mm-f14-Apo-Nikkor-lenses/page2&highlight=1800mm

goamules
6-Nov-2014, 17:23
One of Andrew's lenses would be your best bet. Or I have a Hermagis 1200mm, but I've never determined what it would cover. It's a rapid rectilinear design if you want to do the math and figure it out.

Walter Hugo
7-Nov-2014, 02:59
Hi,

How much will an Apo Ronar cost ?

thanks,

Walter

Walter Hugo
7-Nov-2014, 03:01
Hi,

I am new to the forum and can't access the link you have posted ? I am very interested in purchasing one of these lenses form Andrew Plume but not sure how to contact him - can you link him to this thread ?

Thanks for your help Walter :)

goamules
7-Nov-2014, 08:46
I've emailed Andrew. He should be in touch.

8x10 user
7-Nov-2014, 11:10
While I currently know where to find a 1800mm Apo Ronar, the Apo Nikkor will be a more affordable option. Good luck with the project!

Andrew Plume
7-Nov-2014, 11:23
Well-known and well-respected member Andrew Plume has two of them for sale: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?117429-FS-Two-1800mm-f14-Apo-Nikkor-lenses/page2&highlight=1800mm

thanks Ari, very decent of you

best

andrew

Geoffrey_5995
7-Nov-2014, 14:34
Have you looked at the work of Richard Learoyd? http://fraenkelgallery.com/artists/richard-learoyd

He's shooting 1:1 on Cibachrome and making direct positives, if I'm not mistaken. I think I remember him telling me he mounted his lens a Doctor 750mm into a wall and basically used the room on the other side as a camera or more like a camera obscura. He simply put the paper right on the wall. Perhaps you can do this with film and basically skip making a camera altogether. Just build a wall in your studio and make one light tight, project onto the wall instead of a ground glass.

Just an idea.

LF_rookie_to_be
9-Nov-2014, 23:30
Learoyd now uses a 1800mm Apo-Ronar and a custom-built tent:

124884 124885