PDA

View Full Version : "The Brom Kadet" Tripod

logan.egbert
5-Nov-2014, 18:26
As my restoration of an Agfa-Ansco 8x10 camera comes to a close, I'm trying to put together the final pieces to make shooting the portrait project I've put together work as smoothly as possible.

I've arrived at the tripod portion of the show and need some help with some information. I found what looks to be a very nice wooden tripod to go along with my Gitzo PL5 head that the seller informs me is called "The Brom Kadet" made by Berlebach, but sold in the USA by Bromwell Marketing.

Does anyone have any info on this tripod? Would it be suitable for 8x10 work? Would it be a marked improvement over the Manfrotto 055XPROB legs that I already have? The asking price is $110 bucks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

logan.egbert
5-Nov-2014, 19:04

mdarnton
5-Nov-2014, 20:35
[Edited out what you already know, I am guessing. It looks like a nice tripod, and I almost bought it a couple of weeks ago, but went with an original A-A.]

Why not get one of the Agfa-Ansco originals? I bought one for my A-A view. I was intending it for the 5x7, which is sitting on it now, but tried it yesterday on the 8x10, which is living on a honkin'-big Bogen, and was surprised how though it looked a bit feeble, it was solid under the 8x10. When I worked in a portrait studio in high school he had an 8x10 A-A on the A-A tripod, too. I wouldn't hesitate at all to use it. And the wood-sandwich plate head--it's unbelievably functional, plus it bridges both mounting holes on the camera, stiffening it considerably. When they go for Buy-it-now, people put silly prices on them, but the last four have sold for around $100-120, and they consistently show up. It was available in three colors: wood, grey, and black, though I haven't yet seen a black one.

My 8x10 goes on the 055 OK, but I have nightmares of the top mounting plate being ripped right off the center pole, and I'm not using that tripod with it. The 055 limit is right around the camera weight, and that probably doesn't include a lopsided big load. Also, I don't know if you have the sliding tripod block or not, but if you don't you really need either a plate head like the original, or, for my Bogen legs I made a plate bridging both mounting holes with a Bogen QR underneath. I don't think it's a good thing to hang the whole camera from the front hole, for a couple of reasons.

logan.egbert
5-Nov-2014, 21:40
I should have mentioned that I've built a 15" x 5" birch plywood platform that connects the two tripod sockets and has a third socket centered over a decent balance point for most uses with my 12" Ektar. I think that this combined with the large platform of the gitzo should keep everything safe and sound. I just want to make sure I have legs that can adequately support all that mess :)

Your input is greatly appreciated!

Bob Salomon
6-Nov-2014, 06:04
This appears to be one of the UNI series of Berlebach tripods made prior to the acquisition of the pre-reunification factory by the current owners so it would have the old castings made under the East German regime. The new castings are more streamlined and much stronger but this tripod should easily handle your camera.

logan.egbert
6-Nov-2014, 09:09
Thank you Bob, that's incredibly helpful!

Bob Salomon
6-Nov-2014, 09:16
Thank you Bob, that's incredibly helpful!

Good,

To put the price in perspective, we have two different versions of the UNI up on our factory store, both brand new. One for $275.00 and one for $335.00. But both are in camouflage finish for nature work. One is a full size one and the other is shortened specifically for shooters who are seated.

john borrelli
9-Nov-2014, 14:51
You might also want to check out Ebay if you have not.

I have seen tripods like yours for sale there and you might be able to get some ideas from the ads.There is one now that I noticed looks like yours. The one pictured has a chain for the legs. I just put in "wooden tripod" for the search. Some details in the Ad,for what they are worth: "Made in GDR, 70-80 years, Berlebach model- Mulda ?"

It sounds like you already have a tripod head but I have seen some nice looking older pan-tilt heads with really decorative tripod handles. Most seem to be only two-ways but they tend to be fairly inexpensive. Best of luck, John

Bob Salomon
9-Nov-2014, 16:05
You might also want to check out Ebay if you have not.

I have seen tripods like yours for sale there and you might be able to get some ideas from the ads.There is one now that I noticed looks like yours. The one pictured has a chain for the legs. I just put in "wooden tripod" for the search. Some details in the Ad,for what they are worth: "Made in GDR, 70-80 years, Berlebach model- Mulda ?"
It sounds like you already have a tripod head but I have seen some nice looking older pan-tilt heads with really decorative tripod handles. Most seem to be only two-ways but they tend to be fairly inexpensive. Best of luck, John

GDR means it was made before reunification so it is at least 25 years old. Mulda is where the Berlebach factory is located in Germany. All UNI models for photography are supplied with a chain. A metal spreader is available as are trays to replace the chain.

Old-N-Feeble
9-Nov-2014, 16:12
I have a Berlebach head fully capable of supporting an 8x10. Let me know if you're interested.

logan.egbert
10-Nov-2014, 12:56
John,

This was actually found (and subsequently purchased) from eBay :)

logan.egbert
10-Nov-2014, 12:58
I have a Berlebach head fully capable of supporting an 8x10. Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks, but I think the PL5 and birch board combo is going to take care of it!