PDA

View Full Version : Flange fixing screws for wood lens board

hon
4-Nov-2014, 21:48
Does anyone know where to get those tiny self-tapping screws that fix the lens flange onto a wood board?

Thanks.

lecarp
4-Nov-2014, 22:00
Most hardware stores.

Kimberly Anderson
4-Nov-2014, 22:12
lecarp wins the internet for the day.

ic-racer
5-Nov-2014, 06:19
I'd use machine screws and either blind nuts or standard nuts and washers. I'd only use wood screws if I were making a display camera.

Michael Graves
5-Nov-2014, 06:32
I bought some pretty brass ones that worked great at the local Mom and Pop hardware store here in town. Most stores have an entire wall of bins holding bulk nuts, bolts, screws and so forth. That's where you look.

Steven Tribe
5-Nov-2014, 08:10
The single slot wood brass screws have gone from most retail outlets (Europe, anyway). Holes must be drilled in mahogany/walnut lens boards as the fixing screws are quite close to the central flanmge thread holes. I have seen plenty of flange screws that have started a grain split - effecting security and/or light tightness.

Jac@stafford.net
5-Nov-2014, 08:59
The single slot wood brass screws have gone from most retail outlets (Europe, anyway).

How strange. I wonder what other common things are gone from European shops.

Holes must be drilled in mahogany/walnut lens boards as the fixing screws are quite close to the central flanmge thread holes. I have seen plenty of flange screws that have started a grain split - effecting security and/or light tightness.

I have never had such problems with brass wood screws. Always drill pilot holes, then lubricate the screw with a touch of bar soap before seating it, and never over-tighten. For very heavy lenses use what ic-racer does.

Leonard Robertson
5-Nov-2014, 09:04
I've never had any luck finding really small wood screws at hardware stores or even hobby shops. Here is a chart giving head diameters of different number wood screws:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/document.do?docId=270

Once you find the # size screw you need then you can search online for a source. MSC here:

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Fasteners/Bolts-Screws-Cap-Screws/Screws/Self-Tapping-Wood-Sheet-Metal-Screws/Wood-Screws?navid=12108848#navid=12108848+4287869444

has down to #2 size, but that may not be small enough.

But I agree with ic-racer that machine screws with nuts on the rear of the lens board is much more secure. Small flat head machine screws and nuts you may be able to find at a hobby shop. They would also have really small drill bits to drill through your board and small bottles of flat black paint to paint the nuts and washers on the back of the board. You can do a search for "machine screw sizes" to find a chart of diameters of smaller sizes. Once you know the size you need you can search online if you can't find any locally. MSC may have small machine screws.

Len

Kimberly Anderson
5-Nov-2014, 09:18
I'm going to apologize and remember that not everyone has access to or knowledge of where to find such items. I do find it amazing that simple brass screws are hard to find. But...I am missing context. If he were able to find them he wouldn't be asking. I know I ask plenty that to some is a no-brainer but to others seems like black magic.

Good luck on the hunt.

I will add though, that I have split out at least one mahogany lens board along the grain because the pilot hole I did make was just a tad too small. I ended up not using wood screws but did in fact use machine screws and nuts that were loc-tite'd on.

Steven Tribe
5-Nov-2014, 09:55
The lens board that was nearest to me is a good example of screw damage!

"Mom and Pop stores" with 40 year old inventory disappeared with the mortality of their owners and increasing demands on shop turnover due to high rents!

goamules
5-Nov-2014, 10:34
Does anyone know where you can buy glue? Just kidding.....

Jim Noel
5-Nov-2014, 11:15
www.microfasteners.com
sells all kinds of small screws and bolts in small quantities. MOst model railroaders could not get along without them.

Jim C.
5-Nov-2014, 11:25
Screws that size are not going to be available in any big box store or mom & pop stores ( they're all gone sadly )
When I was restoring my Kodak 2D's I would drop screws, which I swore achieved 88 mph on the way to the floor
and would reappear at a future date.

Here's some sources for # 0 thru # 2 slotted brass wood screws ( flat, pan or oval head )-

http://www.ebay.com/usr/americanintegratedsupply
https://www.boltdepot.com/Wood_screws_Slotted_flat_head_Brass.aspx

I also use a taper drill to drill the holes for the screws.

Michael Graves
5-Nov-2014, 11:50

"Mom and Pop stores" with 40 year old inventory disappeared with the mortality of their owners and increasing demands on shop turnover due to high rents!

Not in Vermont, they didn't! Got three of them within a 20 mile radius.

goamules
5-Nov-2014, 13:22
A screw is about the most common mechanical fastener after a nail. Woodworkers, from furniture to instruments to sailboats still use screws, and always will. A screw is a screw. If you needed one made out of titanium, it might be hard. But steel or brass?

The illusion of disappearing screws is a reflection of disappearing local hardware stores. Big box stores like Walmart and Home Depot decide what inventory they will sell, and the masses of buyers agree with what they are presented. Small hobby stores were all put out of business by these big boxes. If you need tape, nails, or a chunk of wood that isn't in the big boxes, don't think they're no longer made. So like we've answered the OP, and ironically where he asked his question, the answer to where are screws is that you buy them online.

Let's see, I'll do a Google search for "small brass wood screws" and see....BAM! 2.1 seconds later, millions and millions of links selling them. Sometimes, the irony of someone asking a discrete, specialized forum online a general question that can be answered by a simple Google search amazes me.

Jac@stafford.net
5-Nov-2014, 14:19

Sometimes, high iron content screws will rust and therefore expand just enough to break a thin board. One virtue of brass is that it doesn't do that, and they are less expensive than stainless. I'm lucky to live in a rural area where very many do their own maintenance and building. We have literally dozens of sources for parts large and small.

To ruin the day - I once bought out the specialty fastener section of a hardware store that was going out of business - 10 cents on the dollar.

Tin Can
5-Nov-2014, 15:15
Every time I am at Home Despot, I first go to screws and bolts. I usually buy all the #2 and most of #4 in brass, stainless or mystery metal. I, as IC-Racer, prefer through bolting on any larger lens. Sometimes, they have matching washers and nuts, but usually not in stainless.

I know I could buy these online, but I kinda like the hunt.

If you have a quality Thomas and Betts wire stripper, you can cut the smaller machine screws to length real quickly.

Also I have found smaller sizes of SPAX construction screws very useful. They are made in Germany or USA. Very high quality. Home Depot has them. They have an inexpensive brass colored zinc screw I have used to replace brass. They are multi drive. I never buy slotted screws, I really hate them. I never saw SPAX at any small hardware store. The really good Ace Hardware near me just closed...more condos.

Tonight I will through bolt a 10 lb lens to a custom walnut lap joint lens board. This lens is heavy. Now that I think about this, it needs a safety leash in case of screw ripout on the lens board holders. There's the weak point.

hon
5-Nov-2014, 15:16
Thank you guys for the input. I have to apologize that I forgot to mention where I live. I live in Hong Kong and these small screws are as scarce as hen's teeth. So you guys have been very helpful in pointing me to the right direction. Thank you guys!

Jac@stafford.net
11-Nov-2014, 17:04
[...]This lens is heavy. Now that I think about this, it needs a safety leash in case of screw ripout on the lens board holders. There's the weak point.

I was a sole sponsor for a motorcycle road racer and we had to secure all fasteners. That means that fasteners were drilled and wired so that if they failed they would not fall onto the track.

It is a good concept.

Gundlach
16-Nov-2014, 22:01
Screws sizes are also available in "odd" sizes, not just even. The big box stores will have 2's 4's 6's a specialty supplier will have 1's, 3's 5's etc....

Jac@stafford.net
17-Nov-2014, 13:43
Screws sizes are also available in "odd" sizes, not just even. ....

Yep. Don't go downtown for a strange screw.

Jim Andrada
17-Nov-2014, 15:32
I have no idea where to find any kind of hardware in Hong Kong. If I knew what size you needed I could get some and send them to you.