PDA

View Full Version : Loaded 4x5 Film Holder or not Loaded for a trip

Jacques-Mtl
4-Nov-2014, 12:58
Hi everyone,
Next year I will travel to Europe and I will bring my 4x5 equipment with me. I keep asking myself a question concerning the film holders. I don't know if I should load 25-30 film holders and keep them with me in the cabin or if I should buy a changing tent, bring a couple of holders and a couple of empty 4x5 film boxes a load and unload the holder as needed. If I bring them loaded there is less chance for dust but it is much more heavier.

What would you do? Can you give me your thoughts?

Thank you Jacques

djdister
4-Nov-2014, 13:05
When I traveled to Scotland from the US this year, I took about a dozen 4x5 holders, a changing tent and several boxes of film. There was no way I could limit my shooting to just what I could carry in loaded holders, so loading o was the only real option. I was also lucky enough that the bathroom in the location could be made lightproof, so I used that instead of my tent most of the time. I also had a couple of empty boxes for bringing the exposed film back, of course.

mdarnton
4-Nov-2014, 13:15
Two Grafmatics and a couple of boxes of film should do it? I would count on finding dark bathrooms along the way.

Bob Salomon
4-Nov-2014, 14:37
Why take a tent? Just learn how to load in a changing bag.

Preston
4-Nov-2014, 15:02
I agree with Bob. A changing bag would be perfect. They fold up small and weigh next to nothing. I'd suggest 5 holders (or as many you would need for a day's photography) along with the items you need to clean the holders, and a couple of film boxes.

--P

David Swinnard
4-Nov-2014, 22:05
Changing bags... just my opinion here, but I have, in the past, personally gone to some lengths to blacken small rooms enough to change film holders in (while on the job) to avoid using a changing bag if at all possible. Dust, damp clinging fabric, seriously restricted motion, itchy nose, etc., etc... I used them enough to know I never want to use another one.

Years back I got a good (REAL good) deal on a nice Harrison changing tent (from a film student with a change of heart) but haven't needed to use it yet, at home or on the road. But when I travel with the 4x5, it comes along for the ride just in case.

Vaughn
5-Nov-2014, 00:15
I used a changing bag for 6 months on an over-seas trip with the 4x5 and 5 holders. Doable.

I just used the same size changing bag for some 5x7. It worked, but barely. Some work on the technique is needed and some way to hold the top of the bag up would be nice.

Shorter trips, perhaps a week in Death Valley, I take about 20 8x10 holders and 4 or 5 11x14 holders loaded up -- that's it (perhaps the Rolleiflex, too).

Alan Curtis
5-Nov-2014, 05:56
On a recent trip to Northern CA I took 25 loaded 4x5 film holders, one box of film and one empty box. My plan was to find a sufficiently dark bathroom along the trip to change film. Sure enough I found a windowless bathroom and at night it was as good as my own darkroom.

Jacques-Mtl
5-Nov-2014, 06:39
Thank you all for your comments it is really appreciated.

Ari
5-Nov-2014, 20:48
I ordered the large Harrison changing bag for travel, I keep the tent for home use.
A few weeks ago, a clever member here suggested buying an old Meccano set and bringing it along.
The idea is you make a cube with the Meccano set, insert it into the changing bag, and you have a lot more room for your hands and holders inside the bag.
And the Meccano pieces, disassembled, take up very little extra space.

Vaughn
5-Nov-2014, 21:08
I have seen some scaled-down models of camping tents used for sale displays...hmmmm. If you see one without its poles, it wasn't me!

Someone once suggested using a piece of stiffish plastic the size of the changing bag's bottom, but with a little extra length -- so when you stuck it in the changing bag, it would bow upwards, giving you space to work freely under it. Never tried it.

Martin Aislabie
5-Nov-2014, 22:14
Weight is your biggest problem - airlines charge you an extortionate fee for every Kg and film holders are surprisingly heavy

I travel with a Harrison Changing Tent - it folds to almost nothing, the poles disappear inside a suit case and its dust free (if you look after it)

I have a 10x8 sized tent and I can easily change 12 5x4 film holders in one go

A Changing Tent also keeps your options open - if you find a very dark bathroom - then great, use it - and if not you still have the changing tent to fall back on.

One more thing - bring plenty of film - its a very time consuming business trying to find additional film stock in a foreign location

Just remember to hand carry it when you travel as the X-Ray machines used to scan hold baggage will fog it.

Martin

IanG
6-Nov-2014, 02:00
Also film in Europe is very considerably more expensive than the US so bring more than you think you'll need.

I've always managed to change film holders in dark bathrooms or a cupboard, once in a pub cellar :D turned out the landlady had studied photography and used LF !

Ian

Jerry Bodine
6-Nov-2014, 13:45
I always keep a small supply of appropriate size rubber bands handy, because putting exposed film in an empty film box can cause some of the films to be damaged/scratched by the jiggling and handling (e.g., if a small "grit" happens to be between adjacent sheets). Since the film box is usually not really filled with film, I prefer to keep the films between stiff cardboard sheets and then place the rubber bands around that to secure it inside the box. Obviously, overly tight bands should be avoided so as not to cause film bending.

Rayt
6-Nov-2014, 17:13
I travel with two Photobackpacker Cascade film holder cases with 6 holders each. I put those in my checked luggage with a changing bag. I usually bring 25 sheets per day of shooting and load/unload them in the hotel. No hassle.

Jacques-Mtl
6-Nov-2014, 19:17
Thank you all for your comments and experience.

Jacques-Mtl
15-Nov-2014, 12:28
Hi, I have decided to take you advice and to travel with my Photobackpacker Cascade film holder loaded with 6 film holders, bring some films and some empty boxes labeled Normal, N-1, N-2 etc in my carry-on baggage and a changing tent. Now the question I am asking myself is. Should I buy a Photoflex changing tent at $85 or a Harrison changing tent at $229. Can you tell me which one you are using? I've read that photoflex is ok but not that good, Harrison is supposed to be much better but it is also a lot more expensive. Thank you Jacques

Jim Andrada
15-Nov-2014, 19:52
I hate changing bags. They flop all over and deposit dust. I broke down and got a large Harrison and I love it. I only had to chase the cat out of it once! In a pinch I've done 8 x 10 in it but it's pretty tight in there. If I did much 8 x 10 I'd probably spring for the Jumbo tent.

djdister
15-Nov-2014, 20:13
Hi, I have decided to take you advice and to travel with my Photobackpacker Cascade film holder loaded with 6 film holders, bring some films and some empty boxes labeled Normal, N-1, N-2 etc in my carry-on baggage and a changing tent. Now the question I am asking myself is. Should I buy a Photoflex changing tent at $85 or a Harrison changing tent at $229. Can you tell me which one you are using? I've read that photoflex is ok but not that good, Harrison is supposed to be much better but it is also a lot more expensive. Thank you Jacques

One of our members is selling a Harrison Pup tent for $85 http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?117932-Harrison-Pup-Tent-FS

Ari
15-Nov-2014, 20:14
I much prefer the Harrison tent to the Photoflex, it has a larger footprint and folds down well. The arm holes are at a slightly awkward place, but the job gets done.
I've had a Photoflex start to peel inside after a few years; it was still light-tight, but I would have to empty the dust from the first inner layer every so often.
And in the summer, the Harrison is much cooler.
For 8x10, get the Jumbo; buy it right and buy it once.

A tent is good if you'll have somewhere regular to stay, then you just leave the tent set up. When you return after a day's shooting, unload and re-load.
But if you're planning on moving around a lot, and your loading/unloading locations may be less than ideal, I'd suggest a Harrison changing bag.

Jacques-Mtl
16-Nov-2014, 06:36
Thank you for your comments. Concerning the Harrison tent is it true that its smell really bad. Jacques

anglophone1
16-Nov-2014, 13:56
I have both Photoflex and Harrison.
Harrison best but bulky IMO.
Photoflex packs flat and goes into top of my checked case- better for flying,
Dark slides are heavy and take up space, boxes of 5x4 film relatively compact and light.
Film in carry on, 6 dark slides or 2x grafmatics in checked luggage.
C

Christopher Barrett
16-Nov-2014, 15:04
When I was assisting we were still shooting holders (later switched to Readyloads) and we travelled with about 45 holders. That would usually get us through a day and a half of shooting (6 sht bracket of chromes). I always reloaded the holders in my hotel bathroom after Gaff taping the door for leaks. It's so much more efficient than a changing bag.

Once in New York we were shooting the former Claus von Bülow apartment and I had to reload holders in the bathroom there... going completely dark... I was a little freaked out.

CB