PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Jobo 3005??

resurgance
4-Nov-2014, 00:38
Jobo processors are great. My CPA-2 has been in service with 2553 tanks for 120 and 4x5 for a couple of years now.
Recently I moved up a format to 8x10 and also am investigating 4x10. I really like the idea of using a 3005 drum.

However. The cost of 1x 3005 drum would buy several 4x10 holders, and my money tree got all of the flower buds eaten off it by escapee sheep, and there is no sign of fruit this year. At least that's what happened to the peaches.

I recently saw a video on youtube of the inside of a 3005 expert drum from catlabs, and from what I can see it is just a bunch of tubes sealed so liquid only enters the tubes themselves. I have not seen a 3005 in person, which is why I am asking this.
Can someone who has both 2553 drums and 3005 give me a heads up on whether it may be possible to 'make' a sort of 3005?

I have a couple of 'spare' 2553s and was thinking of getting a 2870 extension for $15 to give the 2553 enough room to stand 10 film on end in tube - then get some chem resistant plastic tube approx 60mm diameter and glue or weld bottoms on. Then have internal 'braces' both ends, so a large circle drum diameter with the tube size smaller circles cut out that the tubes sit in, and top tubes flush with top brace, and sealed.

Sound feasible?

Possibly 3x internal tubes rather than 5.
If not, then I'll start saving, its just a lot of money that's all. Being way down in the southern hemi shipping is quote pricey too. Then if I am honest with declarations i get horrific tax as well.. Sob

Lachlan 717
4-Nov-2014, 05:15
The internal tubes are not straight (they're slightly barrel-shaped). Not sure how you'll achieve this...

LF_rookie_to_be
4-Nov-2014, 05:17
The internal tubes are barrel-shaped and consist of two symmetrical pieces glued together. Here's what the guts of a 3004 drum look like:

http://i62.tinypic.com/1431jk.jpg

resurgance
4-Nov-2014, 12:10
Is the barrel shaped cross section to hold the film when wet maybe so it doesn't want to slide out the top when loaded with solution?

Some part of me is thinking I need to just buy one, as I don't generally shoot to test, I shoot to shoot, and every shot is precious. So if were to make something I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get it right first time, as I'm sure Mr.Jobo had quite a few goes before he came up with an industry standard.

I had read somewhere that someone had once just inserted film into a few tubes then rubber banded the tubes onto the center core, but this doesn't make sense and if there were holes for solution it would be quite uneven development i think.

So time to scrounge up some pennies.

Thanks for the replies

Jim Noel
4-Nov-2014, 14:54
Even though the Expert drums are in my estimation severely over-priced, I think in the long run you are better off biting the bullet and buying one. Getting the barrel shaped tubes made is one problem, then how are they going to be held in so the liquids can flow as they should. It is shaped like it is so the liquids can get behind the film and really has little or nothing to do with holding the film in.

koh303
4-Nov-2014, 19:00
In the past few years there have been a couple of people who designed and posted here and on APUG some home made designs of similar ideas, but almost all were very complex, and usually very heavy (made of thick PVC), and in the end the results were no where near that of the Expert drum, no to mention compaticility with a processor or ease of use in daylight conditions.

Expert drums are hand built, and each one takes a bunch of man (or woman in this case) hours to build. The materials and parts are custom made for each drum. Both of these make the price go up, and while they are not cheap, they are unique in what they do and offer.

ic-racer
4-Nov-2014, 19:37
Be glad you can still buy a new one. I bought a new 3005 as soon as I found out they still are making them.

resurgance
5-Nov-2014, 00:29
Well, I went to buy one today and ordered an extra magnet for the 2553 and Omer from CatLabs kindly bought it to my attention that to use an expert drum on my CPA-2 requires a lift! Ha!
So I had to smash my piggy bank and cash in all of my food stamps.

I think it will be worth it, and by the sounds of it using a lift makes an already easy process even easier. Bring it on, its only money, right?

Bernice Loui
5-Nov-2014, 09:39
Often wondered why the Expert drums cost what they do. They appeared to be hand made as each of the drums here are bit different in various ways.

They do work well and have held up well too. Lost track of how many sheets of film that have been processed in these drums over the years. If one considers the cost of use and ownership over many years and sheets of film processed, they are a good value even if the entry cost appears to be high.

Bernice

Expert drums are hand built, and each one takes a bunch of man (or woman in this case) hours to build. The materials and parts are custom made for each drum. Both of these make the price go up, and while they are not cheap, they are unique in what they do and offer.

resurgance
5-Nov-2014, 13:49
Jobo gear is a pleasure to use. Ill never find out I guess about these mythical edge effects of dip and dunk and 2 bath compensating developers, as acros in microfine with jobo is already very very good.

only reservation I have about the expert drum and lift is that my cpa2 is an older model with a 10636 serial number so I supposedly am looking forward to a burnt out motor after a while of using the expert drum. Time will tell. Might be one of the good cpa2's maybe

Spikon
19-Oct-2018, 02:32
I´m about to construct a 3005 from a 3063. Description will follow.

Kleiny41
19-Oct-2018, 03:50
Can we use any of the expert drums with other rotating bases? I picked up a Cibachrome base and I’ve been using with a paterson and Mod 54 but recall some use expert drums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

minh0204
19-Oct-2018, 05:37
Can we use any of the expert drums with other rotating bases? I picked up a Cibachrome base and I’ve been using with a paterson and Mod 54 but recall some use expert drums.

Yes you can, i've been using 3010 on an Uniroller. With an expert tank, you'll be fine even if the motor does not reverse.

Fred L
19-Oct-2018, 06:18

easily. if I'm not rolling with my Jobo, I use a Simma roller base for 3006/3005 drums. I still flip them over if i remember so I get agitation in both directions, but don't think it's especially crucial, afaics. Just keep an eye on the drum as they will more likely than not, walk off the base and fall off. Also, while a reversing base is great, be mindful that it's cycle may not turn enough to give Expert drums a complete rotation.

jon.oman
19-Oct-2018, 08:01
The internal tubes are barrel-shaped and consist of two symmetrical pieces glued together. Here's what the guts of a 3004 drum look like:

http://i62.tinypic.com/1431jk.jpg

That looks more like a truncated cone shape, not a barrel.....

Lachlan 717
19-Oct-2018, 11:26
It’s a barrel.

Sometimes you have to trust people who know and use a product.

That looks more like a truncated cone shape, not a barrel.....

Hal Incandenza
20-Oct-2018, 11:30
Yes, they're barrel shaped.
Here's a pic of my 3005 with a piece of paper inserted flush into one of the slots. The spacing on the bottom is the same on the top.

jon.oman
20-Oct-2018, 11:40
The spacing on the bottom is the same on the top.

That is the key to clarity! Thanks for that.