PDA

View Full Version : Portrait Background Recommendations

Peter De Smidt
1-Nov-2014, 21:35
I'd like to get a fabric background for portraits. It wouldn't need to be super big, as it would be used for head'n'shoulders or a little more. Ideally, it'd be fairly portable. Anyone have suggestions for something that they like for this? Probably a softly mottled gray....

ScottPhotoCo
1-Nov-2014, 22:10
I found a great wealth of options at the local fabric store. Find a style you like and buy a few yards. There are many, many options.

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

Tin Can
1-Nov-2014, 23:48
I was using studio grey paper and now I use flat black paper and I find it can change from light grey to black with a adjustable background light.

I know, not rocket science, but I seem to be revisiting everything I think I once knew.

Ah senility!

Peter De Smidt
2-Nov-2014, 07:21
I do have rolls of seamless, but as my "studio" is my living room, I'd like something smaller. DIY fabric is fine, and I have a bunch, but I dont' have the space to store it on rolls, and so there's always a bunch of wrinkles. I also do a bunch of corporate head shots on location, usually without a nice space to setup. I'm considering one of the Savage or Westcott collapsible setups.

Tin Can
2-Nov-2014, 07:32
Those are nice, any way we can reduce footprint and weight is a consideration in LF and any commercial endeavor.

I also 'want' one of those. Let us know what you choose.

Thanks

Daniel Stone
2-Nov-2014, 07:42
Pick up a cotton drop cloth from the hardware store, and a pint sized can of paint in your chosen color/shade. Thin it down and apply the necessary amount of coats required to get the density needed. I've made a few of these using a sponge to "dapple" some secondary, complimentary color if you want to go for the slightly mottled look.

This video talks about making one(starting around the 1:35 mark):
http://youtu.be/9lkvlcP6XjQ

That's if you're alright with DIY style :)

Jim Jones
2-Nov-2014, 08:01
To avoid the linear wrinkles of a backdrop stored folded up, try storing it crumpled up. I find a random pattern, especially on a dark backdrop, more pleasing than a flat backdrop or linear wrinkles.

A frame consisting of two uprights and a horizontal bar can be leaned against a wall to support a backdrop. This frame can easily be improvised from PVC pipe or electrical conduit, and requires little storage space.

Jim Noel
2-Nov-2014, 08:52
A window shade works beautifully. Build a small frame to hold it behind the sitter. Light it well if yo want light or white background, and move it back and insure no light falls on it for a dark gray or black background. It will never be wrinkled and is small and easy to store.

Doug Howk
2-Nov-2014, 15:13
If the background is to be out of focus, you might consider a very lite fabric hung on a pole; and add a bit of wind from a fan, for example, to keep it moving slightly. Any creases/wrinkles will then be unnoticeable.

Peter De Smidt
2-Nov-2014, 16:00
Thanks for the ideas. The background will always be as out-of-focus as I can get it. I would like it to be a very soft mottled gray. My experience with tie-dying lead to lots of distracting elements. I can always add a brighter spot through lighting, and I can change the color with lighting gels, if needed.

AtlantaTerry
2-Nov-2014, 19:28
I bought a used background from a camera store and have always thought the way it was made was very smart.

It consists of two pieces of wood (it's not here so I will have to estimate). Each piece of wood is about 6 feet long by about 2 inches square.

The short sides of a rectangular sheet of canvas (about 6x7 feet long) are stapled to the wood.

One of the wood pieces has a hole drilled in the center to use to attach to the top of a light stand. The bottom piece acts as a weight.

To store, the bottom piece is rolled up to meet the top piece and zip cords (elastic bands) near each end keeps it rolled nice and tight.

Whoever made it painted the canvas with a soft pattern of grey tones so that nothing is in focus when seen behind the subject. If you make your own, you can paint it with any color, tones or pattern that you would like.

I store it rolled up standing in a corner so it uses very little space. And, it's not so long that I can't transport it in my car - I place one end on the dashboard and the other on the area by the back window. Of course, your car may use other sizes.

Tin Can
2-Nov-2014, 19:38
Sounds good Terry, I will probably use PVC water pipe.

As I have some left over and for some strange reason PVC is cheaper than wood...

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
2-Nov-2014, 20:38
My studio is tiny and storage space is minimal, so I use collapsible backgrounds. These fold into small (~3') circles when collapsed, and pop out into 4x6' or larger backgrounds in a variety of colors. They usually have different colors/tones on their sides, so you could easily get one with white on one side and black on the other, and use lighting to get all shades in between. I am sure you could find one with a mottled grey (like this one (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=271103&gclid=CjwKEAjwrNeiBRD3goG_1s-0_XMSJADuGQQcqIx5DZgtllZNRgZINu7dS8R75k7TdQUCRF-vjhJZ3BoC1gPw_wcB&Q=&is=REG&A=details)).

It takes a bit to learn how to collapse them (look on youtube for instructions) and they aren't cheap, but they have no creases, take very little space to store, and transport very easily.

I compared different brands and settled on Lastolite, which I felt was the best made.

Peter De Smidt
2-Nov-2014, 22:02
Randy, watch that the PVC doesn't bend in the middle, as that can lead to the fabric not hanging smoothly.

Thanks, Jason. I'm going to make a couple backgrounds for use here at home, but I'm going to get a collapsible one for use for location head shots. I'll check out the Lastolite ones.

For DIY, I really like the window blind idea, as well as Terry's suggestion.

Taija71A
2-Nov-2014, 22:14
____

... Just an additional thought Peter!

As per Atlanta Terry's recommendation... I too much prefer 'Canvas' Backgrounds over Muslin cloth (*Especially when shooting Portraiture).

Agreed, they are not as portable as other options... However (in my opinion) -- They just look so much superior and are definitely more 'Refined!' :)
--
Although not cheap... In the smaller sizes starting at approx. 5' W x 6' H (yet still under $200)... Perhaps a Denny Manufacturing Co. hand painted Canvas 'Old Masters' Series -- Might work for you?

https://www.dennymfg.com/Products.aspx?SCId=d75bed34-f2e2-4aa4-8c60-f2d4baddb137&PTId=bb4f9904-5363-4151-926b-5fb6ab04dd88

--
Best regards,

-Tim.
_________

SergeiR
2-Nov-2014, 22:52
portable and easy - collapsible Botero ones are super nice and easy

C. D. Keth
2-Nov-2014, 23:29
I see a lot of projection screens at thrift shops. They're usually the type that have their own integral stand and pull out like the maps in a schoolroom. Their size would be tight but OK for head and shoulders and cheap enough you could create whatever tone and texture you want with spray paint.

polyglot
3-Nov-2014, 04:12
Try some old hessian sacks; gives a bit of texture and won't show creases. Put it out-of-focus if you don't want as much texture. It's a bit darker than caucasian skin so easier to get good subject/field separation.

AtlantaTerry
3-Nov-2014, 05:14
I don't PVC pipes are a good idea. They will shatter because they were never designed to carry a load.

Jac@stafford.net
3-Nov-2014, 06:15
But wait! What about bokeh? Here, instant bokeh backgrounds! (http://petapixel.com/2014/07/28/bokeh-problem-focus-backgrounds-hold-can-get-fast-prime/) :cool: :p

The idea to use a projection screen might lead to surprising hot spots if the screen is lenticular, and it probably is.

Jim Jones
3-Nov-2014, 06:32
I've tried projection screens. Their reflective surface doesn't work as well as fabric. Also, most are too small and are landscape format.

Electrical conduit is light weight and rigid in comparison to PVC pipe or wood. One hole drilled near each end can fit on the top of a light stand.

DrTang
3-Nov-2014, 10:28
they are all over

shower curtains

picnic table covers

remnant stores

costume stores sometimes

ikea