PDA

View Full Version : Arca Swiss Rise/Fall Zero Point

hon
1-Nov-2014, 20:14
I have an Arca Field with metric orbix, 110 front standard and 141 rear standard. I understand that the orbix tilts the front along the mid point of the lens if the front standard is at the zero rise/fall point. But where is this zero point? My rise/fall scale doesn't show the zero point and there is not a detent.

Could anyone help?

Thanks.

Rod Klukas
2-Nov-2014, 07:48
I have an Arca Field with metric orbix, 110 front standard and 141 rear standard. I understand that the orbix tilts the front along the mid point of the lens if the front standard is at the zero rise/fall point. But where is this zero point? My rise/fall scale doesn't show the zero point and there is not a detent.

Could anyone help?
The position is usually about 4 or 5 marks from top. But I saw an answer to your query, elsewhere, that was good. You want the center for collapsing the camera to be the position that stresses the bellows the least when camera is collapsed. This position has nothing to do with the tilt operation. The orbix mechanism rotates about the nodal point which means it requires far fewer iterations than with the traditional base tilt or axis tilt cameras. Orbix is not axis tilt. It means that the use of tilt coupled with swing, does not result in yaw, which requires further correction by shift, and refocus.
Operation of Orbix is, like base tilt, is focus far and tilt near.
Hope this helps.
Rod Klukas

Thanks.

hon
2-Nov-2014, 09:41
Hi Rod,

Thank you for your explanation. I understand that the 8x10 Arca shares the same front standard with 5x7 and 4x5 (not the field model). Are the orbix mechanism the same in all these format? (i.e. the orbix radius the same?)