PDA

View Full Version : Storing lenses in mounted in Seiko shutters

David Karp
1-Nov-2014, 17:55
Oops, an extra "in" in the title. Oh well.

I have a question for all of you Seiko shutter experts. I recently purchased a 135mm Fujinon W (the single coated version) to use as a wide angle lens with my 5x7 back. It is in a really nice Seiko shutter. (I had one of these years ago. It came in a kit that I purchased to get a roll film back. I sold most of the kit including the back and the 135. Shortly thereafter I got the 5x7 back and wished I had kept the 135mm Fuji! Amazingly, this lens appears to illuminate 6 1/2 x 8 1/2!! I will have to expose some film to test that out.)

Anyway, back to the point of this post.

Over the years I learned that we should store our Copal shutters with the preview lever set to open. Is this also true for Seiko shutters? Unlike a Copal shutter, the preview function for a Seiko requires cocking the shutter first. Seems like that would not be the preferred approach for a Seiko, but I am no expert.

I tried to search the forum for an answer. If the answer is here, I can't find it.

While searching, I read that we should store lenses with the shutter set at "T." Is this true? What does this do? For that matter, what does storing a Copal shutter with the preview lever on open accomplish?

Thanks in advance everyone!

mdarnton
1-Nov-2014, 18:43
I only have one incident to relate here. I stored my 150mm Fujinon/Seiko cocked with the preview open, and when I came back to it six months later (I hardly ever use it) the preview lever would move, but nothing happened. After a bit of jiggling, poking, and slamming it down firmly, but lovingly, on the sidewalk a couple of times, it came loose, finally. So I won't be leaving it that way again any time in the future!

Hope that single data point helps.

djdister
1-Nov-2014, 18:49
Never heard about storing them with the shutter open. I had heard about storing them with the shutter set at B or T, because there would be less tension on the shutter blades, although I don't know if that is a good practice or not either. But I would rather not leave a shutter stored in the open position.

analoguey
1-Nov-2014, 19:28
Is there a reason why would keeping shutter at B or T help? To my understanding, unless you wind/cock the Shutter, the speed's not set, so shutter's only in the closed/relaxed state - not so?

David Karp
1-Nov-2014, 21:22
Michael:

Thanks for that data point! I had to chuckle, but sorry it happened to you. It confirms my suspicion that storing it open sounds like a bad idea.

From a transplanted Chicagoan, many thanks.

Anyone else have any experience/knowledge?

dsphotog
1-Nov-2014, 21:32
I've heard it's proper to store shutters uncocked, and
never change shutter speeds after the shutter is cocked.

David Karp
1-Nov-2014, 21:33
I checked Flutot's website. Carol says when storing a shutter to ". . . set the speed dial on "T" or "B" and uncocked so there is no tension on the springs." Nothing about keeping the preview lever set on open.

Don't know why I did not think of checking there first.

So, do you think the open preview lever is a myth? Or is there something to it?

C. D. Keth
3-Nov-2014, 22:47
Storing with the preview lever open and with the iris fully open is for the safety of the iris blades and shutter leaves. In those positions, they are supported to the maximum degree allowed by the design of the lens. Should you jar the lens hard, drop it, or give it any other kind of shock, the very, very thin bits of metal will be supported and won't bend.

David Karp
3-Nov-2014, 22:49
Thanks Chris. That makes sense.

C. D. Keth
3-Nov-2014, 22:59
Thanks Chris. That makes sense.

I found out the hard way one time why you do that. I dropped an old cooke panchro prime lens on a carpeted floor. I was lucky to have done it on carpet but I didn't get away scot free. I thought it was fine until I returned it to rentals and they found that a couple iris blades were bent.