PDA

View Full Version : choosing between Fujinon-W 150mm and G-Claron 150mm???

stradibarrius
1-Nov-2014, 09:20
If you had the choice to pick either of these two lenses which would it be? Also why?
Thanks

Dan Fromm
1-Nov-2014, 09:51
Fuji. More coverage, faster. Re coverage, see http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/index.htm and http://web.archive.org/web/20100922053809/http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/archiv/archiv.htm

ic-racer
1-Nov-2014, 10:53
Fujinon, for the reasons Dan mentions. I'm interested in a lens that is designed for far-distance work, also.

austin granger
1-Nov-2014, 11:01
Hi Stradibarrius. It'd be the Fujinon for me as well. The larger maximum aperture makes focusing a lot easier, at least for my tired eyes. And it's not like the f5.6 150 lenses are all that much bigger and heavier so you don't pay much of a price for that larger aperture. Just my opinion.

Peter De Smidt
1-Nov-2014, 11:18
I'd go with the Fujinon, as well.

Taija71A
1-Nov-2014, 11:55
____

Before answering this question... I would 'First' ask you -- What you are planning on using the 150mm Lens for ??? :)
--
Although the Fujinon-W 'general purpose' f/5.6 plasmat is a very nice lens... The Schneider G-Claron
*** Might? *** possibly be a better choice -- Depending (of course) on your 'intended' application.

Just because the Fujinon-W is faster and has more coverage... Does not necessarily mean -- That it is always the better choice!
--
Best regards,

-Tim.
_________

Kimberly Anderson
1-Nov-2014, 12:10
I have a matched set of G-Clarons, so the G is what I'd get if I were trying to match a 'look' from any particular lens. I already have the G-Claron 150, so it's easy for me to say that. If I was starting from scratch, I think that Tim above (^^^^^^^^^) makes a good point. What are you trying to do with it? That might help make your decision. I know that my 150 will cover 8x10 and I don't use much movement out in the field. The point about the Fujinon having more movement is valid for sure.

C. D. Keth
3-Nov-2014, 12:51
I chose a g-clarion because weight is more important to me than coverage or a large viewing aperture. I've never done anything with a g-clarion that I said, "boy, I wish that was sharper." You may differ on that.

Drew Wiley
3-Nov-2014, 13:44
The published specs for G-Clarons are relative to graphics reproduction standards, which are very strictly defined, and therefore the usable image circle for general photographic purposes is considerably larger than the official one. The G will be more compact, the Fuji W a bit brighter. Hard to go wrong either way. Another
myth: G's were marketed for closeup tabletop photography (true), therefore they're not as good at infinity (false). I've found G's to be sharper than conventional
plastmats, which is not unexpected, since at a smaller max aperture there are less engineering issues. Buy both and give me the one you don't like. I'd be happy
with either.

djdister
3-Nov-2014, 13:55
Shhhhh! Quit telling people how good the G-Clarons are, I'm trying to pick up a 305mm for cheap...

richardman
3-Nov-2014, 13:57
Most 150mm lens are pretty small and lightweight, compared to other focal lengths. In other words, if you are going to have a 2 or more lens kit, then try to save weight on the other lens may make more a difference.

Lachlan 717
3-Nov-2014, 14:46
Have you considered that the Clarons can also be used as convertible lenses, giving you another option?

djdister
3-Nov-2014, 14:56
Have you considered that the Clarons can also be used as convertible lenses, giving you another option?

Haven't tried that, would like to hear from other's experience.

Taija71A
3-Nov-2014, 18:23

____

I believe that your above cited 'Blanket statement'... Perhaps? needs some extra qualification. Thank-you!
--
For example... Does your statement apply to the later G-Claron Lenses -- That are clearly 'Plasmat' types?

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?90788-Are-G-Clarons-usable-as-convertibles

--
Best regards,

-Tim.
_________

Dan Fromm
3-Nov-2014, 19:52
Tim, most if not all plasmats are convertible in the sense that single cells will form an image. Few are convertible in the sense that single cells will form an acceptable image, where acceptable has been defined by their makers. Same goes for dagor types. For that matter, some double Gauss types are also convertible in the second sense; f/2.8 Boyer Saphirs, for example.

Back on topic, about 150 G-Claron vs. 150 Fujinon-W, I may have had a bad sample but after a shootout I shelved the one 150 G-Claron (plasmat type) I've had in favor of a 150/9 Apo Ronar. Understand, I was then shooting 2x3, which a 150 Apo Ronar will cover. No way one will cover 4x5 at distance.

Taija71A
3-Nov-2014, 20:19
____

Dan... Agreed in full!
--
I just didn't want 'newbie' LF Members... Getting too excited after reading the original statement -- About the prospect of using single G-Claron (including 'Plasmat') Lens Cells.
*You of course... Understand all of this. :)
--
Getting back on topic... My 'Simple' answer to the OP would be:

... Choose the Fujinon-W 150mm (For Field Use) and the Schneider G-Claron 150mm (If primarily shooting in the Studio).
--
Best regards,

-Tim.
_________

angusparker
3-Nov-2014, 22:27
Big fan of Fujinon lenses. The W series are great and fast. I tend to use f9 max aperture lenses in FL beyond 150mm and f5.6 at and below - aids in focusing in low light. The G-Clarons are good too but I think of them as more specialized like the 355mm for huge coverage and ULF. Many come in a barrel without shutter. I think if I were starting out I'd go the Fujinon route and build a set of that brand. There are so many great ones to choose from: 125W, 150W, 180A, 240A, 300A, 360A, 450C, 600C. I'd probably use the trick of sizing your set with 50% more focal length for the next lens up in the series and I'd start for a three set with 125W, 180A, 300A or 300C Fujinons. I rarely use longer or shorter on 4x5.

Lachlan 717
4-Nov-2014, 05:20
____

I believe that your above cited 'Blanket statement'... Perhaps? needs some extra qualification. Thank-you!
--
For example... Does your statement apply to the later G-Claron Lenses -- That are clearly 'Plasmat' types?

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?90788-Are-G-Clarons-usable-as-convertibles

--
Best regards,

-Tim.
_________

Sorry; I've got no idea WTF you've written here. Perhaps drop all the funky font bullshit and I'll give it another read.

dave_whatever
4-Nov-2014, 06:14
Haven't tried that, would like to hear from other's experience.

I shot with my 150/9 converted this summer when I needed a longer lens but didn't have one. Can't remember if I used front element or rear (probably front, so i could still attach a filter). It was sharp enough, but for colour work CA was the main issue. Would probably be fine for mono work with a strong filter.

ImSoNegative
4-Nov-2014, 06:36
i have the fuji 150 and love it, very sharp very small and compact, i have never used a g claron before so i cant comment on the quality other than what i have read. I have used my 150 on 5x7 with great results, probably one of the sharpest lens i own and you can get one at a good price.

ImSoNegative
4-Nov-2014, 06:37
I do have a repro claron but it is a 305, great lens also

Taija71A
4-Nov-2014, 09:21
I do have a repro claron but it is a 305, great lens also
+1 ... For the vintage Schneider-Kreuznach Repro-Clarons!

Drew Wiley
4-Nov-2014, 10:30
If you want something that beats both of em (and that's sayin' something), move up to a 180 Fujinon A, if you can handle a slightly narrower perspective.

angusparker
4-Nov-2014, 21:14
If you want something that beats both of em (and that's sayin' something), move up to a 180 Fujinon A, if you can handle a slightly narrower perspective.

+1

Bernice Loui
4-Nov-2014, 21:40
Used one for a short time, images this 180mm f9 Fujinon A produces does not agree with me. The idea was to use it in place of the 150mm Symmar XL as the Fujinon A is a lot smaller and all that.

Still have it, if it sits much longer, I'll pass it on to another home.

Bernice

resurgance
6-Nov-2014, 01:59
Hey Lachlan, your PM box is full!

Lachlan 717
6-Nov-2014, 02:09
No worries. Try now!!