PDA

View Full Version : Sample 8x10 shots with 600mm lens

Ken Lee
5-Dec-2004, 20:37
Although there are many postings concerning the technical aspects of lenses in the 600mm range for 8x10, I for one would find it very helpful to see some images that people have made with them - just to get a sense of the 'look' that the lens gives in that format.

While we're on the subject, it strikes me that 450mm would make a nice portrait lens for 8x10 - but does depth of field become a difficulty ?

Peter Galea
5-Dec-2004, 21:19
Here's one Ken. Shot with a 24" Artar. Tri-X in Rodinal.

http://home.pacbell.net/peterjg/joan1.jpg
Joan

kreig
5-Dec-2004, 22:28
Nice picture. Depth of field looks to be about 1 inch. How about an outdoors shot with a long lens 600mm and up?

Catherine Wheeler
6-Dec-2004, 04:02
I agree that it is tremendously helpful to see examples of the "look" that certain lenses can produce. I hope people will post more! I find this portrait really appealing. I wondered if you could give more details about your set up for this: how far away from the subject was the camera, how was she lit, how far away from the background is she, what is the background, what is she gazing at so intensely? Thanks.

It strikes me, too, that it seems a little rude to join in on the conversation without introducing myself. I've been looking in here for a few months--I really appreciate all of the good advice. I haven't chimed in yet because I'm not yet the owner of a large format camera and the experience that goes with it--someday.

Peter Galea
6-Dec-2004, 07:33
Hi Catherine, this portrait of my mother was shot on a Deardorff. The camera was positioned above her, the bed dropped and some front tilt used. I was very close, 8 feet maybe? The bellows were racked out as far as they go. The Artar is shutterless so this was a lens cap exposure, approximately 1 second at f11. Joan was in open shade, on a park bench with foliage in deep shade behind her. She was staring intently at me, first of all because I'm her son, and secondly because I warned her not to move because of a long exposure. This is the best I can do from memory, I'm not a note taker in the field.

Catherine Wheeler
6-Dec-2004, 08:04
Thanks, Peter. That's just what I wanted to know. The light is falling so beautifully on her face, and there is something very special about her expression--intense and serene at the same time. Wonderful!

Ken Lee
6-Dec-2004, 10:29
Please keep them coming. I'd like to see some taken with 450mm also. They don't have to be portraits.

chris jordan
6-Dec-2004, 17:53
Hi Ken, I use a 450mm lens for almost all of my 8x10 images. If you look at my website, about 90% of the photos on there were made with a 450mm Nikkor M. The panoramic images were either cropped, or they are multiple originals laced together. I love that slightly telephoto look-- back when I was shooting in 4x5", I had a 210 mm lens that I used exclusively for years, and when I moved up to 8x10", I got a lens with more-or-less the same angle of view. I am interested in getting a 600mm lens also, though, so I'll be following this thread to see what other think.

~cj

www.chrisjordan.com

Ken Lee
6-Dec-2004, 18:22
- Wow Chris - Holey Moley -
I really like "Boxcar, Seattle 2003" and "Drum Ends, Seattle 2003". Genius.
They must be really something to see in their full sizes.

chris jordan
7-Dec-2004, 10:53
Ha! Thanks Ken, yeh those prints are pretty cool at full size-- there's nothing quite like 8x10 originals for killer big prints (okay, I'm ready for the onslaught from all the guys with banquet cameras...).