PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Frankenstein Camera......help my friend!

Kirk Gittings
29-Oct-2014, 10:05
Holy mashed together camera Batman......what is this camera?
Mystery camera of a friend of mine. No belows-just kind of mashed together with the inside all taped up with gaffers tape. Gearing is all stripped. Sorry for the crappy iPhone pictures.

Kirk Gittings
29-Oct-2014, 10:06
more.

BarryS
29-Oct-2014, 11:07
I'm fairly certain, at least 50% is a Gundlach Korona View camera. At some point the bellows probably got trashed and someone had the brilliant idea of detaching the extension rail and wedging it between the front and rear frames. For good measure, they hacked on a DIY back of some sort. Looks like a pinhole on the front, so no focusing needed, but that's some hack job, alright.

Louis Pacilla
29-Oct-2014, 11:12
i'm fairly certain, at least 50% is a gundlach korona view camera. At some point the bellows probably got trashed and someone had the brilliant idea of detaching the extension rail and wedging it between the front and rear frames. For good measure, they hacked on a diy back of some sort. Looks like a pinhole on the front, so no focusing needed, but that's some hack job, alright.

bingo!

Kirk Gittings
29-Oct-2014, 18:40
Thats a pinhole in a crude but manufactured shutter on the front. Anyone seen one like it?

Jim Andrada
29-Oct-2014, 19:29
I have a shutter that looks a lot like it around here somewhere. If it's the same as mine there's nothing crude about it - the two knobs unscrew and there are a variety of different pinholes and zone plates that can be inserted. The shutter basically just slides a plate out of the way.

Roger Thoms
29-Oct-2014, 19:32
Kirk, that's a Apo II shutter by Bill Christiansen. Here's a link to an interview. http://www.withoutlenses.com/articles/interview/pinhole-is-pinhole

Roger

Kirk Gittings
29-Oct-2014, 19:46
I have a shutter that looks a lot like it around here somewhere. If it's the same as mine there's nothing crude about it - the two knobs unscrew and there are a variety of different pinholes and zone plates that can be inserted. The shutter basically just slides a plate out of the way.

Crude meaning no shutter speeds-just B

Jim Andrada
29-Oct-2014, 19:48
Right - you're supposed to just use the lock on the shutter cable. There's no clockwork inside, just a sliding plate and a spring.

Jim Galli
29-Oct-2014, 20:07
When that happened to 2 dogs in our front yard my mother would turn the hose on them.

Kirk Gittings
30-Oct-2014, 09:07
When that happened to 2 dogs in our front yard my mother would turn the hose on them.

:)

Tin Can
30-Oct-2014, 09:28
Once again the 'lens' is more valuable than the box.

But I bet there are parts people want off that box...

dsphotog
30-Oct-2014, 09:39
I'd think you should make some images with it!