PDA

View Full Version : help attaching rail camera to ball head

campos
27-Oct-2014, 09:47
I got a cambo rail camera a while back and have so far been attaching it to one of my more sturdy light stands via a 3/8 thread. You can see the male and female thread ends in the picture attached. For scale, the threads on the left side fit a standard SLR camera bottom (1/4). I'd like to attach my camera to an actual tripod ball head but am having a tough time figuring out how to do it. I have a Proline B100 ball head that I would like to use if possible. The plate that attaches to the ball head uses a 3/16 screw.

I'm new to these new sizes and attachment methods, what are some inexpensive methods for attachment?

http://i.imgur.com/Tffaq76.jpg

Bob Salomon
27-Oct-2014, 09:59
First of all, if that ball head is the single lever lock $19.99 ball head sold on the internet there is no way that it is going to work with a view camera and, especially a monorail camera.
Next all professional quality ball heads made today as well as virtually all amateur ball heads made today use either ¼ or ⅜" threads or both. None use 3/16" threads. And all cameras made in the past 50 or 60 odd years, if not longer, also had one or the other ¼ or ⅜" threads.

So the first thing you need to do is find a proper head. Then it all becomes very easy.

campos
27-Oct-2014, 09:59
To answer my own question, I just ordered a Fotasy SR10 Reducer Bushing to change the female 3/8 to a female 1/4 for the quick release. At $7 I'm not sure if that's the 'best method' but I'm pretty sure it's the least expensive.

campos
27-Oct-2014, 10:07
I'm probably mixing up my terminology, the ball head connects to the tripod via 3/8 threads. The housing plate that connects the quick release plate to the top of the ball head uses a 3/16 thread. The quick release plate connects to the camera is 1/4.

Yeah I definitely see your point about the weight of the camera which is something I was worried about. The tripod says it goes to 15 pounds so I figured I'd give it a shot and see what happens. I'm really in the early stages of getting used to this camera so it stays in a pretty non-demanding home environment.

lenser
27-Oct-2014, 10:21
Campos, I am one of those people who just can't figure out why ball heads were ever invented. Even with a 35mm or digital camera, I hate fighting with them to try to get all of the axis aligned for true level (which is easy with a traditional tripod head). For large format, impossible for me. I know that some people really stand behind them and that's great. For me, at least with the several I've played with, they are nothing but a source of irritation.

Looks like you have one of the square rail Cambos which are relatively light. I've got the SCX which is a bit heavier and find that it is easiest to use with either a Bogen 3047 (which would be ideal for what you have) or the heavier duty Majestic head with either one being on an appropriately sized set of legs.

Jim Noel
27-Oct-2014, 14:05
Using a ball head, even a very large and good one is probably the most frustrating thing you can do with a monorail. Trying it is purely a waste of time,energy and patience. S---canit and get a good 3 way head.