PDA

View Full Version : Hulshuram Panoramic?

Frank Petronio
4-Dec-2004, 09:31
Does anyone know about the Hulshuram Panoramic camera? Sort of a 1970s version of the Circuit camera, there is one for sale on the bay and it looks interesting. Can you still get the large roll film and find a lab to process and contact it? Any idea of the prices?

I think there is a website (or two) for Curcuit camera users - which is the best one?

Thanks...

Frank Petronio
4-Dec-2004, 09:51
ahh... Cirkut Cameras that is. There are a few good sites about Cirkuts but nothing about the Hulshurams, at least from the search engines.

Michael Legan
4-Dec-2004, 10:08
Here is the web site for Charles A. Hulcher,...manufacturer of the camera.

http://www.hulchercamera.com/ (http://www.hulchercamera.com/)

Bob Salomon
4-Dec-2004, 10:36
Then there is a problem with the listing as he claims:

"Designed and produced by renowned Submarine Periscope camera designer, Frank Hulshur in the early 1970s."

Seems like it may not be a Hulcher or the seller can't read the name on the camera.

tor kviljo
6-Dec-2004, 03:04
You probably mean HULCHERAMA rotating panoramic camera for 70mm film. Charles Hulcher camera is spesialist on motorized 70mm cameras for government use & motion-analyzing studies. I have seen the 70mm high-speed cameras, but never the Hulcherama, All cameras I have seen have been of good quality (handmade, all metal stuff), and the company is servicing also the very old cameras + doing customization after Your wish & wallet... I would expect the Hulcherama to be of the same high order of build quality as their high-speed stuff. However, about the big circuit cameras, I have heard the most promising about the swiss Zeitz Roundshot. Another one is the Globuscope. Alle are rotating body cameras and at least the Zeitz & Hulcherama can use 70mm film. 70mm film is hard to find now, but Kodak Portra NC continues to be available (I have used it for aerial photography) as well as a number of aerial films from Kodak & Agfa. The aerial films from Kodak is sold with very high "minimum order" quantity while AGFA used to be able to supply single reels, usually minimum 100' and costing $$ 150 - 200,- a roll. Check b&h and Adorama for aerial films & 70mm films to see what is in stock. Developing yourself with JOBO for short lengths of film (3 metres or so, a standard 70mm cassette have 4.5 metres of film when filled). Lab's with continuous machines for C41 can run 70mm also - I have dev. my 70mm aerial film in a traditional continuous machine (commersial lab) with good result. However, the most interesting film for many of us, Velvia, Provia 100F and Velvia 100 as well as Kodak Ekta. VC have never been available in 70mm, never will.... If You have one of the big Jobos, the 15feet/70mm developing reels (Kindermann, Hewes etc) fit into the old type expert drums (expert drums with holders for individual sheets along body wall, and not in separte chambers revolver-barrel-like), making automated dev. of full cassette 70mm film easy.

tor kviljo
6-Dec-2004, 03:13
Please excuse me for talking about the wrong camera!!! - I didn't look at the website until now - seeing that it certainy not were a Hulcheraman but the totally weired big-roll camera!! (yess- it does look interesting - and film for a fortune)

However, aerial film 9 1/2" is readily available in color neg. as short-ends from any aerial photo company, developing done at the companies doing aerial film dev. (in US, Precision Laboratory may be the best known I think, also being used by Norwegian aerial-survey companies) or yourself using Gordon-Morse rewind outfit (the big one for up to 9 1/2" not the 16 & 35mm modell) showing up on EBY numerous times a year. Kodak have info on rewind dev. of their aerial film on the aerial photo site, but the rewind machines uses a LOT of chemistry when doing 9 1/2" film.

Dan Fromm
6-Dec-2004, 05:19
And what is the "Jenador" lens that comes with the camera?