PDA

View Full Version : 6" Meyer Trioplan f3 Anastigmat

Craig Tuffin
23-Oct-2014, 20:32
Just got this lens for some daguerreotypes due to its speed. I know they were used in press cameras but I've done a bit of a search and can't find out too much about it. Other trioplans I can see info about, but not this one unfortunately.

It wasn't a typo...there is no 'Hugo' before Meyer ;)

IanG
24-Oct-2014, 00:05
It's a triplet lens, I have Meyer's adverts with the schematics of their lenses, the Trioplan was sold in various forms as a still camera lens for 16mm to through to LF formats, short telephoto, cine lenses for taking and projection. It's a common lens found on pre_WWII German 6x9 & 9x12 cameras, LF, versions for Leica, Exacta etc, as well as MF & LF, portrait versions as well.

It was made post WWII with the Hugo dropped, I've not checked when it was dropped though.

Here's a link. (http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/meyer_5.html)

Ian

Craig Tuffin
24-Oct-2014, 00:48
Thanks Ian, I appreciate the link!

I had a read...mines quite a bit older than those advertised and is marked with imperial measurements (6") and is the f3. The fastest I can see in the ad is the f3.5.

It's a triplet lens, I have Meyer's adverts with the schematics of their lenses, the Trioplan was sold in various forms as a still camera lens for 16mm to through to LF formats, short telephoto, cine lenses for taking and projection. It's a common lens found on pre_WWII German 6x9 & 9x12 cameras, LF, versions for Leica, Exacta etc, as well as MF & LF, portrait versions as well.

It was made post WWII with the Hugo dropped, I've not checked when it was dropped though.

Here's a link. (http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/meyer_5.html)

Ian

IanG
24-Oct-2014, 01:09
I've a big collection of BJP Almanacs down the garden in the darkroom, there Portrait Trioplan f3 6" which covers 1/4 plate, there's older Meyer catalogues on the same website.

There was one for sale recently on a UK dealers website and I thought about buying it.

Ian

Craig Tuffin
24-Oct-2014, 01:43
I had a bit of a scan of the other catalogues but can't find it (might be my eyes) but not to worry.

I've had a good look on the ground glass and it projects a very nice image that covers 4x5 actually (a nice surprise).

Do you happen to know what the one in the UK went for Ian?

IanG
24-Oct-2014, 02:09
Page 18 of the 1936 catalogue. (http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/meyer_3.html)

The one that sold in the UK was in a brass barrel (unpainted) it wasn't expensive, I think less than £50. I didn't buy it because I have far too many lenses around that FL.

It probably does cover 5x4, it'll probably be a bit soft at the corners but that won't bother you for what you're going to use it for. 1920's Meyer adverts recommended the 6" f3 Trioplan for 1/4 plate reflex cameras, in fact Meyer themselves sold SLRs (re-badged Mentor)with them. I just checked a 1927 advert they are listed as plain Trioplan without the word portrait. Meyer also sold a rangefinder camera with a Meyer 50mm f1.5 lens, clearly a Leica body.

Ian

Craig Tuffin
24-Oct-2014, 02:26
Thanks Ian, I do appreciate the time you put into finding and sharing this with me.

Amedeus
27-Oct-2014, 12:08
Great lenses ... I have a few Trioplans ... Including ine with a soft focus dial