PDA

View Full Version : Graflex part missing

RTucker
23-Oct-2014, 06:24
I just got a top rangefinder graflex, and its missing some cover on the back of the rangefinder. It almost looks like you put a battery in it, but I don't think you do. So what is it, and where can I find a cover for?

Jon Shiu
23-Oct-2014, 07:32
It is called a battery cover and you can get them on ebay sometimes. It looks like:123763123764

Jon

AJ Edmondson
23-Oct-2014, 08:10
Midwest Photo Exchange Lists FRE1000 at $39.95... seems pretty steep but then again I suppose it all depends on available choices. I didn't check eBay because I remembered that Midwest was always a great source for Graflex parts (no affiliation other than being a satisfied customer for about thirty years).

Joel

Jim Jones
23-Oct-2014, 08:12
The opening is for two AA batteries to illuminate the Rangelight, which projects two dots of light on a subject. When the dots coincide, the subject is in focus. If one can examine an original cover, it is obvious that they can be crudely replicated with basic tools. Foam rubber can substitute for the internal spring. Two sheets of rigid material, one cut to just fit the opening in the camera, and one a bit longer, can be glued together.

Jon Shiu
23-Oct-2014, 08:21
Midwest Photo Exchange Lists FRE1000 at $39.95... seems pretty steep but then again I suppose it all depends on available choices. I didn't check eBay because I remembered that Midwest was always a great source for Graflex parts (no affiliation other than being a satisfied customer for about thirty years).

Joel

That's for a Super Graphic, which is a different shape and has battery contacts. mpex.com is a great source for stuff, but they don't have the Crown/Speed top rangefinder battery cover. Interesting that the manufacturer for the Super Graphic part is listed as Fred Lustig. So I guess he is manufacturing replacement parts and the price is appropriate for that.

I agree with Jim that a cover is fairly easy to make, out of black plastic. Just take the rangefinder/cover off with the two large screws on top and you will see what's inside.

Jon

RichSBV
23-Oct-2014, 11:08
Yes, battery covers for the Super and Top Range Finder Pacemakers are different. Not too difficult to make. I prefer wood :o

Now, doesn't anyone have a 3-D printer???

Tin Can
23-Oct-2014, 11:09
Yes, battery covers for the Super and Top Range Finder Pacemakers are different. Not too difficult to make. I prefer wood :o

Home Depot by me has been selling them for 2 months. 3 sizes.

RichSBV
23-Oct-2014, 11:12
Home Depot by me has been selling them for 2 months. 3 sizes.

Battery covers?? ;)

DrTang
23-Oct-2014, 12:38
It is called a battery cover and you can get them on ebay sometimes. It looks like:123763123764

Jon

I knew it..I knew it before even opening up the thread

just do what everyone else does: piece of electrical tape over the hole

AtlantaTerry
23-Oct-2014, 15:06
While on the subject there was an interesting article I saw somewhere a couple years ago where a fellow replaced the light bulb in the rangefinder with a low power laser.

Of course, one would never point the laser beam at someone's eyes!

Does anyone here remember the article?

Did anyone here attempt to modify a rangefinder in this manner?

It would seem to me to be a far better solution than a little old light bulb.

What about a CREE LED for a light source? Would that not be better (and safer)?

AtlantaTerry
23-Oct-2014, 15:09

To date I have seen little need for a 3D printer but a replacement battery cover would be perfect.

Someone could start a little business making them because Crown and Speed Graphics for sale so often are missing them.

RichSBV
23-Oct-2014, 22:45
Best could find was this:
http://digilander.libero.it/foto_ras/camera_parts9.htm

Hopefully a picture is really worth 1000 words, unless you speak Italian :D

While on the subject there was an interesting article I saw somewhere a couple years ago where a fellow replaced the light bulb in the rangefinder with a low power laser.

Of course, one would never point the laser beam at someone's eyes!

Does anyone here remember the article?

Did anyone here attempt to modify a rangefinder in this manner?

It would seem to me to be a far better solution than a little old light bulb.

What about a CREE LED for a light source? Would that not be better (and safer)?

Cybertrash
25-Oct-2014, 06:05
That's for a Super Graphic, which is a different shape and has battery contacts. mpex.com is a great source for stuff, but they don't have the Crown/Speed top rangefinder battery cover. Interesting that the manufacturer for the Super Graphic part is listed as Fred Lustig. So I guess he is manufacturing replacement parts and the price is appropriate for that.

I read at Graflex.org that Mr Lustig passed away this year, I assume Midwest are selling from stock.