PDA

View Full Version : Rodenstock Grandagon-N 155/6,8 (cca. 1990) - shutter compatibilty

LF_rookie_to_be
22-Oct-2014, 04:58
A quick question about the Grandagon-N 155mm, currently in a Prontor Professional 1S. Do the lens elements simply fit in a Copal #1 (from a 180mm Apo-Symmar), or is there perhaps a need for spacers and/or washers?

Thanks.

Louis Pacilla
22-Oct-2014, 06:54
My Grandagon-N 155mm f6.8 lens is in a factory mounted Copal 1 shutter and it does not have any shims/washers. I don't know if that means anything.

Dan Fromm
22-Oct-2014, 07:37
To expand on what Lou wrote, if y'r lens has shims at either end then when you move the cells to another shutter the shims have to go with them. If no shims, no problem.

LF_rookie_to_be
22-Oct-2014, 07:59
Gentlemen, thank you for your answers. As I'm essentially borrowing the lens cells of the 155/6,8 lens from someone who is reluctant to borrow the shutter as well, I'll just make sure the shims, if any, are included.

Louis Pacilla
22-Oct-2014, 09:45
As I'm essentially borrowing the lens cells of the 155/6,8 lens from someone who is reluctant to borrow the shutter as well, I'll just make sure the shims, if any, are included.

This seems to me a safer way of your friend going about this is for him/her to simply loan you the complete Grandagon-N 155mm f6.8 in Prontor Pro 1 shutter. Versus shipping 2x pieces of heavy glass plus any spacer/washers. Then is he going to remove the iris scales so you know what stop your really using & then will the Prontor Pro scale mate up w/ the Copal 1 shutter?
Hogwash! if they are going to loan you the cells (the part mind you that hold MOST all the value) is simply not smart. Just seems WAY less safe to me. If he can stand to ship the cells to you then why not loan the lens a complete unit? Do you have the habit of removing the cells of your friends lenses & thumbing the shutter blades?:eek:

Good luck & hope it works out for you.

LF_rookie_to_be
22-Oct-2014, 11:00
This seems to me a safer way of your friend going about this is for him/her to simply loan you the complete Grandagon-N 155mm f6.8 in Prontor Pro 1 shutter. Versus shipping 2x pieces of heavy glass plus any spacer/washers. Then is he going to remove the iris scales so you know what stop your really using & then will the Prontor Pro scale mate up w/ the Copal 1 shutter?
Hogwash! if they are going to loan you the cells (the part mind you that hold MOST all the value) is simply not smart. Just seems WAY less safe to me. If he can stand to ship the cells to you then why not loan the lens a complete unit? Do you have the habit of removing the cells of your friends lenses & thumbing the shutter blades?:eek:

Louis, that's some very sound reasoning, and, in fact, I completely agree with you. BTW, no shipping is required as I would transfer the cells myself, since I know the owner personally. I guess a few more "pleasant conversations" over a beer or a coffee are awaiting...

LF_rookie_to_be
22-Oct-2014, 11:08

Louis, that's some very sound reasoning, and, in fact, I completely agree with you. BTW, no shipping is required as I would transfer the cells myself, since I know the owner personally. I guess a few more "pleasant conversations" over a beer or a coffee are awaiting...

Oren Grad
22-Oct-2014, 12:12
I wouldn't go swapping the cells of my 155 Grandagon. So you know where I'm coming from, I'm not a fan of swapping cells to begin with. The thread mounts weren't designed for regular exercise, and cell spacing can be an issue even if you keep any shims. But on top of that, the 155 Grandagon cells are big, heavy, and easy to fumble, with large, vulnerable outer elements, and the 155 Grandagon is uncommon and, even in today's market, still pricey. Be careful.

Bernice Loui
23-Oct-2014, 19:07
It simply does not make sense to ship the lens cells and try using them in a different shutter. The cell spacing is set by Rodenstock for that specific shutter. Yes, they are likely going to "thread in" to another shutter... except the optimal spacing will likely be lost degrading optical performance.

Not too long ago, transferred a 90mm Grandagon from Sinar DB to copal shutter, The Copal shutter had to be lapped smaller some fractions of ten thousands of an inch to match the Sinar DB mount. The lens did not have any shims, yet the dimensions of the Copal shutter -vs- the Sinar DB mount was different.

Beyond cell spacing, what about the aperture scale?

Recommend if you're going to try this 155mm Grandagon, borrow the entire lens, not parts of it.

This was the medium wide angle for 5x7 for years and years.. It is an excellent performer if the example is to Rodenstock specifications and not damaged or degraded in some way. The 155mm Grandagon found a new home when the Schneider 150mm SSXL replaced. The difference in size caused the change.

Bernice

LF_rookie_to_be
24-Oct-2014, 08:39
Agreed, transferring the lens cells from Prontor Pro 1S to Copal #1 is out of the question. As for this lens' performance, I've seen it on about a hundred Efke 100 negatives I developed, all shot with it, as well as eight 20x24" enlargements (Durst L1840, 300mm Rodagon, Ilford MG FB). Absolutely fabulous sharpness and contrast.