PDA

View Full Version : ACTUAL Camera Weights

Kerry L. Thalmann
2-Dec-2004, 23:44
Hi Gang,

As I mentioned in another thread, the ACTUAL weight of many cameras can often differ significantly from the manufacturer's published specs. So, let's use this thread to post the ACTUAL weight of cameras we own or have access to. Please state which brand and model you have. Assume 4x5 format unless stated otherwise. Try to use a fairly accurate scale that weighs in grams or fractional ounces (NOT your bathromm scale). Weigh just the camera as supplied by the manufacturer with no accessories (lensboards, quick release plates, etc.) installed. If you know the manufacturer's published weight, please include that, too.

OK, I'll start things off:

Toho FC-45X - Advertised weight = 1400g (3 lb. 1.3 oz.) Actual weight = 1385g (3 lb. ¾ oz)

Anba Ikeda Wood View - Advertised weight = unkown Actual weight = 1315g (2 lb. 14¼ oz.)

Canham DLC - Advertised weight = 2640g (4 lb. 11 oz.) Actual weight = 2755g (4 lb. 14¼ oz.)

Linhof Technikardan TK45S - Advertised weight = varies* Actual weight = 3410g (7 lb. 8¼ oz.)
* Most Linhof Brochures list the weight of the TK45S as 3000g (6 lb. 7 oz.). However, the instruction manual that came with mine listed it as a much more accurate 3400g (7 lb. 7 oz.)

Kerry

George Hart
3-Dec-2004, 00:35
Ebony 45S - Advertised weight=2100g. Actual weight=2205g.

Ralph Barker
3-Dec-2004, 00:37
<table cellpadding=1 cellspacing=15>
<tr>
<td>Brand/Model</td><td>Mfgr Weight</td><td>Actual Weight</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Toyo 45AX</td><td> "under 6 #"</td><td> 5 ½ #</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Tachihara 8x10 double-extension</td><td> "just under 11#" </td><td>11 # (maybe just under)</td>
</tr></table>

Kerry L. Thalmann
3-Dec-2004, 01:09
Shen-Hao HZX45-AII - Advertised weight = 2200g (4 lb. 13½ oz.) Actual weight = 2490g (5 lb. 7¾ oz)

Kerry

Kerry L. Thalmann
3-Dec-2004, 01:25
Ebony RW45 - Advertised weight = 1700g (3 lb. 11.9 oz.) Actual weight = 1930g (4 lb. 4 oz)

Kerry

Kerry L. Thalmann
3-Dec-2004, 01:42
Horseman FA - - Advertised weight = 2000g (4 lb. 6.4 oz.) Actual weight = 2215g (4 lb. 14 oz)

Kerry

Kerry L. Thalmann
3-Dec-2004, 01:46
Canham DLC - Advertised weight = 2640g (4 lb. 11 oz.) Actual weight = 2755g (4 lb. 14¼ oz.)

Oops, there is an error in the weights I listed above for the Canham DLC. The weights in pounds and ounces are correct, but the equivalents in grams are way off. The correct numbers are:

Canham DLC - Advertised weight = 2130g (4 lb. 11 oz.) Actual weight = 2220g (4 lb. 14¼ oz.)

Kerry

Henry Friedman
3-Dec-2004, 05:49
My listed weight with Canham DLC: 159 lbs, 11 oz. Actual weight: 162 lbs, 13 oz. Damn that Thanksgiving dinner!

Ben Calwell
3-Dec-2004, 06:11
Calumet 8x10 "green monster": advertised weight is about 12 to 14 pounds; perceived weight 200 pounds (that's why I got rid of it).

Leonard Evens
3-Dec-2004, 07:32
I'm not sure I believe this, but my Toho FC-45X, without lens and lens board, comes to about 2 lbs 11 oz. This also doesn't include the useless viewing hood that comes with the camera. The hood adds another 4 oz. If the hood is included, it comes to about 2 lb, 15 oz or about 1335 g, as delivered, which is slightly less than Kerry measured (1385 g), but my scale could be that far off. Kerry already gave the manufacturer's listed weight of 1.4 kg = 3 lb 1.28 oz

I measured it in parts using a postal scale which goes up to 2 lbs. The rail came to about 1 lb 7.3 oz, and the standards assembly to about 1 lb 3.7 oz (without the hood).

Gem Singer
3-Dec-2004, 07:40
One of the enigmas that I have noticed is when backpack hiking outdoor photographers go to great length to choose the lightest weight 4x5 large format camera they can find, then insist on using huge lenses, mounted in Copal 3 shutters, with that camera. I realize the importance of saving every ounce of weight possible when you need to pack your gear on your back and hike up hill (used to do it myself). However, you need to pay attention to the weight of all the pieces of gear, not just the camera.

Donald Hutton
3-Dec-2004, 08:24
Good points Eugene. However, I often find that my 'composition and reflection' tonic throws all the little weight savings out the window. The real secret to a lighter rig is to buy a smaller bag. A while ago, I bought one of the new Lowepro big backpacks - very nice. So I filled it up with my gear and then discovered that it was difficult to get it upright, let alone onto my back. And that was before any thoughts had been given to medicinal essentials.

I am going to get my cameras onto a scale later today...

Gem Singer
3-Dec-2004, 09:03
Don,

How about a smaller bag, as well as a smaller camera to fit inside of it? My wife carries a little Fuji S7000 digital camera in a compact camera case. That outfit is a lot lighter than the handbag she usually carries with her all day long. The 8x10 color prints she makes with her little digital camera (usually in just a few minutes) amaze me. I think I'm beginning to catch the digital virus.

Ralph Barker
3-Dec-2004, 09:10
I solved that problem, Eugene, by attaching a large weather balloon to the top of my pack. Net weight of the 8x10 Tachi, 300/5.6 Symmar, 150/5.6 SSXL, etc., etc., is now a little under a pound. Windy days are a real bitch, though. ;-)

Gem Singer
3-Dec-2004, 09:17
Ralph,

I don't even try to carry my 8x10 Tachi, with it's heavier tripod, lenses, and film holders, any distance from the car. I let my wife do it.

Rick Heitman
3-Dec-2004, 09:22
Toyo-GX website says 14.1 pounds, weighs in at 14 pounds, fells like a large deer if I pack it more than 500 yards from the car. And still wouldnt trade it for nuthin.

Alan Davenport
3-Dec-2004, 11:07
I just weighed my Calumet Woodfield 4x5, which at the time was a rebranded Tachihara. Actual weight with no lens or lensboard is 1,760 grams (3.88 lbs.)

Eric Wagner
3-Dec-2004, 11:51
Toyo-Field 45A with reversible back and folding focusing hood = 5.4 lbs. Baby Deardorff = 4.5 lbs. 5x7 Deardorff with 5x7 spring back = 6.9 lbs. 5x7 Deardorff with 4x5 spring back = 6.8 lbs.

Kerry L. Thalmann
3-Dec-2004, 11:52
My original intent was not to start another thread about lightweight philosophy, or even to focus specifically on lightweght cameras. I just wanted a repository of actual weights, rather than the occasionally "optimistic" best-case numbers listed in some manufacturer's brochures and web sites. The goal was to provide actual camera weights from independent sources so that those comparing cameras can have some real data. Without accurate data, manufacturers who are honest in their specs actually get unfairly penalized for telling the truth about their products.

I realize weight is but one factor to consider when buying a camera, but for some users and applications (specifically, backpacking) it can be a significant determing factor in the purchasing decision. For example, if two cameras are otherwise comparable (price, quality, capability, etc.), but one is advertised as weighing four pounds and the other five pounds, many buyers might select the supposed lighter model to save a pound of weight. If it turns out both cameras actually weigh five pounds, the manufacturer who published inaccurate specs was rewarded due to the inaccuracy of their specs and the manufacturer who was honest potentially lost a sale. To me, that is not fair. Even worse is when the so-called "lighter" camera actually weighs more than the one with the accurate specs. In that case, both the buyer and honest manufacturer lost out.

This was even more prevalent in the backpacking industry a few years back. When the whole ultralight backpacking craze took off, manufacturers soon learned that the lower the weight, the more sales they could get AND the higher the selling prices. When I was in the market for a lightweight solo tent, I took my postage scale along with me to the store to weigh some tents. Much to my dismay, the actual weight of many so-called ultralight tents was almost always a LOT more than advertised. For example, one tent that was advertised as 3 lb. 3 oz. actually weighed 5 lb. 14 oz. Turns out some manufacturers in their rush to cash in on the ultralight craze were getting really creative in the way they speced their gear. In their literature they were only quoting the weight of the tent shell and neglecting to include the other necessary parts to actually use the tent (tent poles, tenst stakes, guy lines, rain fly, stuff sack, etc.). Once this was discovered, many consumers were upset (especially those that just purchased a new "ultralight" tent that was just as heavy as the one they already owned). So now most tent manufaturers list two weights - minimum weight and pack weight (which is still often a little on the optimistic side). Most gear review web sites and magazines now include actual weights for the products they test - unfortunately there is no way they can possibly review every piece of gear made as the models are constantly changing.

In any case, I think consumers should have access to as much accurate information as possible. It's difficult to make an informed buying decision when the manufacturers' published data is not accurate.

In any case, the quest for accurate camera weights was my motivation for this thread. The topic has already started to drift, but such is the nature of online discussion groups. As long as it leads to the sharing of useful information, it's OK by me.

Kerry

Oren Grad
3-Dec-2004, 11:56
Kerry -

This is a great idea - thanks for launching this thread!

Unfortunately, the only accurate scale I have on hand is a 5 lb. postage scale, which means I can't weigh any of my big cameras with any precision. But here are the results for some smaller ones within reach:

Horseman VH: mfr's spec 1.7 kg (3.74 lb) actual (with leather handstrap) 3 lb 10 oz

Horseman VH-R: mfr's spec 2.0 kg (4.4 lb) actual (with fresnel, leather handstrap, 2 cams) 4 lb 3 oz

2x3 Gowland monorail: (all movements, bag bellows, 8.5" solid 0.5" diam. rail) 2 lb 6 oz

5x7 Gowland monorail: (all movements, lightweight hardware, 14" bellows, 8.5" solid 0.5" diam. rail) 4 lb (with additional 8.5" hollow rail extension) 4 lb 2 oz

5x7 Nagaoka wood-field: 3 lb 12 oz

And just in case there are any other sanity-challenged people out there who share my interest in quarter-plate:

3x4 Anniversary Speed Graphic: (handstrap, spring back, VF, Kalart side RF) 4 lb 12 oz

3x4 Speed Graphic (later): (handstrap, spring back, VF, Kalart side RF, mounting bracket) 4 lb 6 oz

3x4 Speed Graphic (later): (handstrap, spring back; but finder, RF and focal plane shutter removed) 3 lb 10 oz

3x4 Crown Graphic: (handstrap, Graflok back, VF, Kalart side RF, Kalart Focuspot) 4 lb 4 oz

3x4 Agfa-Ansco wood view camera: 2 lb 3.5 oz

Ralph Barker
3-Dec-2004, 12:13
"I don't even try to carry . . . I let my wife do it."

Eugene, your intelligence is exceeded only by your salesmanship and diplomacy skills. ;-)

Kerry - great idea for the thread. I'm capturing the weight responses into an HTML table, and will forward it to Tuan, once the responses die down, for inclusion on the main info page (along with the caveat that "actual" weights are as measured by the contributing members).

Oren Grad
3-Dec-2004, 12:15
For those with laboratory experience: I should have said that my postal scale allows me to weigh objects less than 5 lbs with both accuracy and precision, while for objects in the range of my bigger cameras (all < 20 lb) my bathroom scale, alas, offers neither accuracy nor precision.

In nitpicking bliss...

Kerry L. Thalmann
3-Dec-2004, 12:23
One of the enigmas that I have noticed is when backpack hiking outdoor photographers go to great length to choose the lightest weight 4x5 large format camera they can find, then insist on using huge lenses, mounted in Copal 3 shutters, with that camera.

Eugene,

I agree. It's the old addage - watch the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves. This is the exact reason I have an entire section of my web site devoted to lightweight lenses:

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/lightwei.htm (http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/lightwei.htm)

It's also why I have a separate set of lightweight lenses that I use specifically for backpacking. When backpacking, most of the lenses I carry are in Copal No. 0 shutters and weigh less than 200 grams. The heaviest lens I carry backpacking is the 300mm Nikkor M at 270g (9.5 oz.) My typical 4 lens backpacking kit consists of:

90mm Congo WA - 145g

135mm APO-Sironar-N - 185g

200mm Nikkor M - 180g

300mm NIkkor M - 270g

When I want to go REALLY light, my three lens set consist of:

90mm Congo WA - 145g

150mm Germinar-W - 130g

9½" Red Dot Artar - 180g

For total of 455g (16 oz.) - less than the weight of the typical 210mm f5.6 plasmat.

All of these lenses take 52mm, or smaller, filters - which also means smaller lighter filters. A smaller lighter camera and lenses also permits the use of smaller, lighter tripod and head. And, all this smaller, lighter gear means a smaller lighter pack to carry it in. While the savings on each item may just be a few ounces here and a half pound there, it all adds up. Where I used to take 25 lbs. of camera gear on backpacking trips, I now carry less than 15 pounds - and that includes all my camera gear, tripod, enough film to last 4 - 6 days, and the pack I carry it in. The sub-15 pound kit I now carry is actually more versatile than the 25 lb. kit it has gradually replaced.

Again, we've drifted from the original topic, but hopefully someone will find this discussion useful.

Kerry

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
3-Dec-2004, 12:33
Canham 4x5/5x7 Wooden Field Camera: Advertised weight = 2720 g (6 lb) (http://www.canhamcameras.com/4x5and5x7.htm)
Actual weight with 5x7 Back and BosScreen = 2906 g (6.4 lb)
Actual weight with 4x5 Back and BosScreen = 2897 g (6.2 lb)

"Actual weights" measured without lensboard, quick-release or ground glass protector.

tim atherton
3-Dec-2004, 14:19
Phillips 8x10 Compact II

List Weight 8.1lbs

My Camera's weight 8.2lbs (includes RRS Arca plate I don't want to remove)

Also bear in mind the Phillips' design often varies slightly from production run to production run

CXC
3-Dec-2004, 19:00
Here's my four, with mfgr's weight in (parens). Weights are in pounds.

4x5 Gowland All Moves (with 1 rail) = 3.16 (n/a).

4x5 Walker Titan = 6.33 (6.38).

5x7 Toho (with the standard short rail) = 5.28 (5.50).

8x10 Wehman = 9.06 ( 8.70).

Note the Gowland is a late model, looks like the current one on the website. I used to have an earlier model that weighed considerably less, in the realm of 2 pounds, but I opted for greater weight so I could standardize on (heavier) Technika lensboards. It still basically weighs nothing.

I would like to encourage owners of already-listed cameras to go ahead and weigh theirs, and report here if the results are noticeably different. TIA.

Nicholas Fiduccia
4-Dec-2004, 01:54
Ebony 45S in mahogony: 4 lbs exactly (to the nearest oz)

neil poulsen
4-Dec-2004, 02:55
To Oren: You can always take the camera apart and weigh each piece.

Bill_1856
4-Dec-2004, 06:32
You'll find my post on photo.net large format forum of the weights of 4x5 Pacemaker Speed, Crown, Busch Pressman, Super Graphic, and Linhof Technika.

Jim Rice
4-Dec-2004, 08:33
Okay, I went to the post office this morning and asked the nice man if he would weigh my camera. 4x5 Wisner Technical Field (I suspect an early one, s/n 120x ) advertised- 6 1/2 pounds, measured-6 pounds 13 ounces.

Oren Grad
4-Dec-2004, 11:49
Neil -

Won't help, I'm afraid. Perhaps doable with monorails, which are often modular in design, but all of my bigger cameras are wooden cameras for which the body itself weighs more than 5 lb.

Tim -

Good point about the variation in design, and hence weight, among different batches of the Phillips cameras. In any table compiled from these data, it will be a good idea to note those camera brands/types where there's known to be a lot of variation. Gowland may be the best example.

Ralph Barker
4-Dec-2004, 12:04
Here's the compiled table so far.

Bill - I didn't include the ones you posted on photo.net, so as not to violate their stated copyright.

as measured by www.largeformatphotography.info members

<table width=100% bgcolor=#FFFFFF border=1 cellpadding=2 cellspacing=2>
<tr>
<td>Brand/Model</td><td>Mfgr Weight</td><td>Actual Weight</td>

</tr>
<tr>
<td>Agfa-Ansco 3x4 wood view camera</td><td>.</td><td> 2 lb 3.5 oz</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td>Anba Ikeda Wood View </td><td>unkown</td><td>1315g (2 lb. 14¼ oz.)</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td>Calumet Woodfield 4x5 (rebranded Tachihara)</td><td>.</td><td>1,760 grams (3.88 lbs.)</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td>Canham 4x5/5x7 Wooden Field Camera</td><td>2720 g (6 lb) </td><td>with 5x7 Back and BosScreen = 2906 g (6.4 lb)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Canham 4x5/5x7 Wooden Field Camera</td><td>2720 g (6 lb) </td><td>with 4x5 Back and BosScreen = 2897 g (6.2 lb)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Canham DLC </td><td>2130g (4 lb. 11 oz.) </td><td>2220g (4 lb. 14¼ oz.)</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td>Baby Deardorff </td><td>.</td><td>4.5 lbs</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Deardorff 5x7 with 5x7 spring back</td><td>.</td><td>6.9 lbs</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Deardorff 5x7 with 4x5 spring back</td><td>.</td><td>6.8 lbs</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Ebony 45S </td><td>2100g</td><td>2205g</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Ebony 45S in mahogony </td><td>.</td><td>4 lbs exactly</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Ebony RW45 </td><td>1700g (3 lb. 11.9 oz.)</td><td>1930g (4 lb. 4 oz)</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td>Gowland 2x3 monorail (all movements, bag bellows, 8.5" solid 0.5" diam. rail)</td><td>.</td><td>2 lb 6 oz</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Gowland 5x7 monorail: (all movements, lightweight hardware, 14" bellows, 8.5" solid 0.5" diam. rail)</td><td>.</td><td> 4 lb (with additional 8.5" hollow rail extension) 4 lb 2 oz</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td>Anniversary 3x4 Speed Graphic: (handstrap, spring back, VF, Kalart side RF)</td><td>.</td><td> 4 lb 12 oz</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Speed Graphic 3x4 (later): (handstrap, spring back, VF, Kalart side RF, mounting bracket)</td><td>.</td><td> 4 lb 6 oz</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Speed Graphic 3x4 (later): (handstrap, spring back; but finder, RF and focal plane shutter removed)</td><td>.</td><td> 3 lb 10 oz</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Crown Graphic 3x4 : (handstrap, Graflok back, VF, Kalart side RF, Kalart Focuspot)</td><td>.</td><td> 4 lb 4 oz</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td>Horseman FA </td><td>2000g (4 lb. 6.4 oz.) </td><td>2215g (4 lb. 14 oz)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Horseman VH</td><td> 1.7 kg (3.74 lb) </td><td> 3 lb 10 oz</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Horseman VH-R</td><td>2.0 kg (4.4 lb) </td><td>(with fresnel, leather handstrap, 2 cams) 4 lb 3 oz</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Nagaoka 5x7 wood-field</td><td>.</td><td> 3 lb 12 oz</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td>Phillips 8x10 Compact II </td><td>8.1lbs </td><td>(with Arca plate) 8.2lbs</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td>Shen-Hao HZX45-AII </td><td>2200g (4 lb. 13½ oz.) </td><td>2490g (5 lb. 7¾ oz)</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td>Tachihara 8x10 double-extension</td><td> "just under 11#" </td><td>11 # (maybe just under)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Toho FC-45X </td><td>1400g (3 lb. 1.3 oz.)</td><td>1385g (3 lb. ¾ oz)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Toho 5x7 (with the standard short rail)</td><td>5.50$</td><td>5.28</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td>Toyo 45AX</td><td> "under 6#"</td><td> 5½#</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Toyo-Field 45A with reversible back and folding focusing hood </td><td>.</td><td>5.4 lbs</td>
<tr>
<td>Toyo-GX </td><td>14.1 pounds</td><td> 14 pounds</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td>Walker Titan 4x5 </td><td>6.38#</td><td>6.33#</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Wehman 8x10 </td><td>8.70#</td><td>9.06#</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Wisner 4x5 Technical Field (early?, s/n 120x )</td><td>6 1/2 pounds</td><td>6 pounds 13 ounces</td>
</tr>
</table>

Emmanuel BIGLER
4-Dec-2004, 12:09
re-posted from http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/499542.html (http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/499542.html)

Arca Swiss F-line 6x9 metric orbix : 2.52 kg / 5.54 lbs with GG, without lens board,12" (30cm) folding rail, incl. standard 75-150 leather bellows, one orbix in front, 8.5 connecting bracket, plus one (27 g) compendium clamp.

Arca Swiss misura 4"x5" : 2.36 kg / 5.2 lbs with 15+17 cm folding rail, orbix in front and standard 110/140mm leather belows ; incl. oval baseplate and built-in dovetail, incl. GG/springback but no lens board. Not incl. : leather case, 500 g / 1.1 lbs extra.

Kerry L. Thalmann
4-Dec-2004, 12:32
Here's the weights of various standard ARCA-SWISS F-Line configurations. With a modular design, there is a nearly infinite variety of configurations. These are just three of the standard configurations I have available. Also, since the manufacturer's weight specs aren't listed in my ARCA-SWISS catalog, I got them off the B&H web site.

6x9cm ARCA-SWISS F-Line Compact = Folding Optical Bench 30cm, Universal Bellows 6x9 20cm leather, Extension Bracket 8.5cm (old style - side clamping) - Advertised weight = 2300g (5 lb.) Actual weight = 2210g (4 lb. 14¼ oz)

4x5 ARCA-SWISS F-Line Field = Folding Optical Bench 30cm, Format Frame F-Line 6x9 front - 110mm, Format Frame F-Line 4x5 rear - 171mm, Bellows 6x9-4x5 conical 24cm leather, Extension Bracket 8.5cm (old style - side clamping) - Advertised weight = 3200g (7 lb.) Actual weight = 2840g (6 lb. 4 oz)

4x5 ARCA-SWISS F-Line Classic = Optical Bench Telescope 30cm, Format Frame F-Line 4x5 front - 171mm, Format Frame F-Line 4x5 rear - 171mm, Bellows 4x5 Standard 38cm synthetic, - Advertised weight = 3500g (7lb. 9.6 oz.) Actual weight = 3430g (7 lb. 8¾ oz)

ARCA-SWISS seems to be one of the more conservative manufacturers when it comes to the specs on their cameras. I have also found their bellows lengths (min and max) to be on the conservative side.

Kerry

Frank Petronio
4-Dec-2004, 12:42
Ralph,
Didn't you know that by being a PHOTOgrapher on the interNET you were violating Photo.net's copyright?

Glenn Kroeger
4-Dec-2004, 19:01
On an actual lab balance (not electronic!)

Toyo 45AX - 2439 grams 5.37 pounds

Toyo 45AX with folding focusing hood - 2583 grams 5.69 pounds

Tim Stahl
5-Dec-2004, 01:53
Calumet C-1, 18lbs. Then add the 23lb tripod and head that are stout enough to hold the green monster, the 4lb lens, a few film holders, etc... and you get a good work out.

Arne Croell
5-Dec-2004, 03:57
Linhof Technikardan 45 (non-S! - the older one without zero detents and with the smaller front standard) with Bosscreen and standard bellows: advertised weight: 2900g/102.3 oz, actual weight 2953g/104.2 oz. A few g can probably deducted for some patches on the bellows. The viewing hood/ground glass protector adds another 148g/5.2 oz.

Linhof Master Technika 2000: advertised weight 2600g/91.7 oz., actual weight 2592g/91.4 oz, measured with Linhof groundglass, fresnel lens and viewing hood/ground glass protector.

Linhof Kardan Super Color ST 4x5: advertised weight (from the "Linhof book"): 3200g, actual weight 3104g/109.5 oz with regular bellows, Linhof ground glass, no fresnel, no ground glass protector. An adapter lensboard for Technika boards adds another 171g/6 oz.

From what I have seen, Linhof always rounds the advertised weight to the nearest 100g, at least in the German literature.

All weights +/- 6g: my scale only goes up to 2000g, so I had to disassemble parts and make several measurements, which of course increases the error (scale error is 2g).

Jimmy Peguet
5-Dec-2004, 04:26
Canham metal JMC 810

Advertised weight : 4.14 kg (9.13 lbs)

Actual weight : 4.10 kg (9.04 lbs)

With Arca standard plate : 4.21 kg (9.28 lbs)

Arne Croell
5-Dec-2004, 05:19
A small correction: the advertised weight of the Linhof Master Technika 2000 is 2550g; the 2600 quoted above are for the "Classic" version.

MIke Sherck
6-Dec-2004, 06:21
My wooden 5x7 Burke & James weighs in at 6 lbs. 9 oz. with the 4x5 back.

Mike S.

Donald Hutton
6-Dec-2004, 16:21
Here are mine:

Ebony SV45U - 6lbs 5/8 oz 2740g - Manufacturer's weight - 2700g

Ebony SW45 - 3lbs 8 5/8 oz 1606g - Manufacturer's weight - 1500g

Nagaoka (mahogany) 4X5 - 2lbs 9 5/8 oz 1182g (note - I took off an ounce estimated for a large level I have stuck on the camera) - no idea what the claimed weight was supposed to be. My measurement indicates that my camera may be slightly lighter than an Ikeda.

Graeme Hird
7-Dec-2004, 04:40
My Tachihara 5x4 field camera (made in 1997 according to the serial number) weighs 1775 grams.

Frank Petronio
7-Dec-2004, 06:31
Reminds me of bicyclists comparing weights and prices of titanium components. I bet most of us (except for Kerry) could stand to lose an Ebony off our butts long before forking over the cash for a new superlight camera rig. In my own case, I need to lose a 12 x 20 Wisner.

Steve McKinney
8-Dec-2004, 08:02
Wisner 4x5 Pocket Expedition

Advertised Weight: 3lb10oz (1634 g)

Actual Weight: 3lb15oz (1788 g)

Regards,

Steve

Edward (Halifax,NS)
8-Dec-2004, 09:13
Frank, I could stand to lose about 20 Tachiharas, but it is more off my beer gut than off my butt.

Rick Heitman
8-Dec-2004, 14:18
Good lord, it looks like from the stats that when I carry my GX , I might as well have 2 or 3 field camera instead as backup.

Kerry L. Thalmann
9-Jan-2005, 15:56
Just thought I'd provide another data point, as well as bump this thread up the list to encourage others to participate.

Canham Wooden 5x7 (traditional Style) - Advertised weight = 2720g (6.0 lb. ) Actual weight = 2920g (6 lb. 7 oz)

Kerry

Kerry L. Thalmann
9-Jan-2005, 16:16
One more - related to the previous one:

Canham Wooden 4x10 (traditional Style) - Advertised weight = 2812g (6 lb. 3 oz. ) Actual weight = 3220g (7 lb. 1½ oz)

Kerry

robert_4927
14-Jan-2005, 05:31
i didn't realize ulf photographers were so soft....lol....here's a tip....start an exercise program, the camera will get lighter

Mark Sawyer
15-Jan-2005, 13:36
I have two Seneca Improved 8x10 cameras. One has a bag bellows, no front rail, and a very short rear rail. This is used with a 75mm hypergon. Without lens/lensboard: 7 lbs., 9 oz.

I was so happy to have discovered such a lightweight 8x10, I bought another "standard" version for backpacking. With the regular bellows, two standard rails, and no lens/lensboard: 10 lbs., 7 oz.

(insert mild profanity here)! Oh well, still pretty light for an 8x10...

Ralph Barker
15-Jan-2005, 13:45
Robert - for many of us, the camera is the exercise program. ;-)

Nick_3536
21-Jan-2005, 09:42
Shen Hao 5x7. Factory claims 4kg. My scale shows 3.9kg

Chauncey Walden
30-Jan-2005, 14:24
Here are a few more (all without lens):
Burke and James Watson Press 4x5 (RF removed), 4 pounds 9 ounces;
Busch Pressman 4x5, 5 pounds 2 ounces;
Anniversary Speed Graphic 4x5 but with Graflok back, 5 pounds 13 ounces;
Conley Wood Field 5x7, 6 pounds 5 ounces;
Century Universal 8x10, 9 pounds 13 ounces.
The B&J and the Busch are both all metal with revolving backs and forward tilt capability.

Bill_1856
30-Jan-2005, 17:16
Top RF Pacemaker Crown Graphic with 135mm Xenar lens in Copal = 5#2 oz. Identical Speed Graphic weighs ONE pound more. Top RF/VF Busch Pressman D w/135 Raptar = 5# 3 oz.

Hening Bettermann
18-Mar-2005, 15:56
Here are the weights of some Arca Swiss 6x9 parts from about 1980:

I use the numbers of the then system chart, but take the freedom to slightly adapt the wording in some cases, even though I am not a native english speaker myself.

4.4 Extension bracket 27 cm with 3 screws 315 gr

4.1 Optical bench (Monorail) 27 cm 210 gr

4.2 Optical bench (Monorail) 40 cm 310 gr

5.3 Front runner with base tilt, with jaws, for 4x5" 350 gr

5.4 Rear runner with base tilt, with jaws, for 4x5" 350 gr

This is the weight with the jaws removed (66 gr per pair) and replaced by a couple of brass spacers.

5.6 Front runner (function carrier), swing only, without jaws (brackets), 6x9 275 gr

5.7 Rear runner (function carrier), swing only, without jaws (brackets), 6x9 280 gr

(The difference probably reflects my measuring imprecision rather than the spirit level on the rear runner)

6.1 Front format frame for base tilt, 6x9 200 gr

6.2 Rear format frame for base tilt, 6x9 200 gr

6.9 Front format frame with axis tilt 335 gr

6.10 Rear format frame with axis tilt 335 gr

7.1 Standard bellows 30 cm 75 gr

(no number) Wide angle bellows 40 gr

(no number) Long bellows 60 cm 122 gr

8.16B Graflok back 6x9 including ground glass frame, GG and Fresnel lens 340 gr

back alone 208 gr

GG frame with GG and Fresnel, alone 124 gr

This includes a couple of brass hinges to accept a Linhof 6x9 angle mirror, and some stripes of black leather and tape to keep stray-light out.

9.1 Flat lens board 11x11 cm with center hole 48 gr

9.5 Lens board 11x11 cm, 26 mm recessed, drilled for Synchro Compur 0 (I measure 34,6 mm) 68 gr

11.1 Compendium (lens shade) 164 gr

As pictured in the pre-1984 system chart, means: including a 13 cm rod (18 gr) (probably number 12.6) and the mounting device 12.8 (18 gr) that fits into the flash shoe on top of the standard. (The rod is originally cylindric, but mine is flattened a bit to make the shade snap into position when the mounting screw is tightened.)

11-1000 Compendium with scissors (this is from 1985, and the number is from a 1985 system chart)

190 gr

As pictured in the 1985 system chart, meaning: without rod and mounting device. However, a piece of bellows about the same length as the compendium, is taped to the rear "standard" - and I am reluctant to remove it for the weighing.

I have used this with a jointed rod (no number) of 16 cm total length, 43 gr. The rear part, 4,5 cm, is inserted into the joint by means of a hex key screw, the front part (9,5 cm) by a finger screw and can thus be interchanged. My rod is flattened like described above.

Kind regards - Hening Bettermann.

Hening Bettermann
10-Apr-2005, 16:56
Some weights of backs and film holders

"vendor" means I asked a vendor on eBay who had the item up for sale.

Sinar Vario Rollfilm Holder Rollfilmkassette 567.32 - 1.200 gr - vendor
Calumet/Cambo slide-in RF holder- 600 gr - weighed by a friend
Toyo slide-in RF holder - 670 gr - Calumet web site
Horseman 6x9 RF holder for 6x9 back - 450 gr - weighed
Horseman 6x9 RF holder for 4x5" back - 525 gr - vendor

Graflex Graflok back 4x5" - 440 gr - vendor
another vendor, who had only the GG frame incl focussing hood for sale, answered my question concerning the weight like this:
GG frame incl. folding focussing hood - 375 gr -
GG frame alone- 225 gr -
There is obviously a slip here. The graflok back with the GG removed can not weigh 440-375=65 gr only. Does anyone have real data?

Grafmatic sheet film holder - 475 gr - vendor

Kind regards - no weight. Hening.

Brian Wallen
6-May-2005, 04:37
For other antiquarians:

Graphic View - Spring back - blank lens board - pan head: 7 lb 12 oz

Graphic View II - Graflok back - blank lens board - pan head: 8 lb 4 oz

Super Graphic - No lens and no finder: 4 lb 12 oz

Kodak Master View 4x5 - blank lens board: 9 lb 4 oz

Brian Wallen
http://www.prairienet.org/b-wallen/BN_Photo/KodakHdrSm.jpg (http://www.prairienet.org/b-wallen/BN_Photo/Kodak_index2.htm)

Darcy Cote
27-Oct-2005, 20:24
My Sinar F1 8.5 lbs

jhorvat
13-Jul-2012, 04:06
Sinar Norma 4x5 with lens-plate and rail clamp:3.67 kg
Sinar Norma 8x10 with rail clamp, lens-plate and two plywood screen protectors: 5.9 kg
Sinar head:850g

Joseph Dickerson
13-Jul-2012, 08:05
My Sinar F1 8.5 lbs

For some reason, difference in scale perhaps, my F-1 weighs 6 3/4 pounds. That's with no lens (but with SK Grimes Sinar to Linhof lens board adapter), Norma tripod block (rather than F-1 block), 12" rail plus 6" extension rail, and Chinese light weight bellows.

Like Frank says, cyclists go to great lengths to shave ounces of the bike, and they pay hundreds per ounce to do it. A lot of them wouldn't be any slower on a Schwinn cruiser, but such is life.

JD

Frank Petronio
13-Jul-2012, 20:09
You're all using the same calibrated scale, right? Mail it on to me and I'll weigh mine to nearest gram too!

Sal Santamaura
4-Aug-2012, 10:23
No advertised weight to compare to, but here's the actual:

Phillips 4x5 (from final production run, with light weight bellows): 3 lb. 13.1 oz.

Sal Santamaura
19-Sep-2012, 20:37
Horseman FA - - Advertised weight = 2000g (4 lb. 6.4 oz.) Actual weight = 2215g (4 lb. 14 oz)...Actual weight, including folding focusing hood and the one pair of infinity stops with screws that won't loosen (all other stops removed) -- 4 lb. 9 oz.

You're all using the same calibrated scale, right?...The above measured on a scale in the Post Office, which reads to the nearest 0.01 oz. Can't vouch for how accurate it is though. :)

C. D. Keth
20-Sep-2012, 09:33
My gandolfi 4x5 precision weighs 2084g/4lb 9.5oz

Sal Santamaura
5-Oct-2013, 20:32
Ebony SV Wholeplate. Advertised weight 4kg (8 lb. 12.8 oz). Actual weight, after temporarily re-installing the original Ebony titanium baseplate (I had S.K. Grimes machine a replacement of aluminum that has an integral quick-release dovetail) as well as removing the ground glass protector and Sinar-to-Technika lensboard adapter, 4.75 kg (10 lb. 7.2 oz.).

Bill_1856
6-Oct-2013, 09:22
Ebony SV Wholeplate. Advertised weight 4kg (8 lb. 12.8 oz). Actual weight, after temporarily re-installing the original Ebony titanium baseplate (I had S.K. Grimes machine a replacement of aluminum that has an integral quick-release dovetail) as well as removing the ground glass protector and Sinar-to-Technika lensboard adapter, 4.75 kg (10 lb. 7.2 oz.).

Here's two more whole plates, w/o lens boards: Conley=5.5#, Gandolfi=7#.

Tin Can
1-Apr-2021, 07:50
Perhaps a useful thread, not your complete pack load, as that varies

I will be back soon with my 3 lightest

Let's include a picture of each

Oren Grad
1-Apr-2021, 08:38
Threads merged - let's pick up where we left off.

Tin Can
1-Apr-2021, 08:46
OK, but there are some Tiny Format weights from the olden days

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?11736-ACTUAL-Camera-Weights&p=102980&viewfull=1#post102980

Threads merged - let's pick up where we left off.

Tin Can
1-Apr-2021, 09:12
Travelwide 468 g

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51018844470_bec6e089fc_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kJmUZu)Travelwide (https://flic.kr/p/2kJmUZu) by TIN CAN COLLEGE (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tincancollege/), on Flickr

CHAUTAUQUA 659 g

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51088032186_188b0e04f8_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kQtw69)CHAUTAUQUA (https://flic.kr/p/2kQtw69) by TIN CAN COLLEGE (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tincancollege/), on Flickr

Anba Akeda 1454 g

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51084576983_e909045470_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kQaNYF)Anba Akeda (https://flic.kr/p/2kQaNYF) by TIN CAN COLLEGE (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tincancollege/), on Flickr

Oren Grad
1-Apr-2021, 09:13
OK, but there are some Tiny Format weights from the olden days

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?11736-ACTUAL-Camera-Weights&p=102980&viewfull=1#post102980

We'll survive - let's just try to keep it focused, so to speak, going forward. No point missing out on the relevant information that people have already put a fair bit of effort into contributing. And THANK YOU for reviving this!

EDIT: if you're showing with lens, please mention which lens/shutter.

Tin Can
1-Apr-2021, 09:36
Kerry's lens weights https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?11736-ACTUAL-Camera-Weights&p=90468&viewfull=1#post90468

I prefer not to remove the lenses on both Travelwide or Chautauqua as that may damage the camera and/or lens.

Tin Can
1-Apr-2021, 09:42
http://thalmann.com/largeformat/anba.htm

Kerry's Anba Akeda

Oren Grad
1-Apr-2021, 10:37
Kerry's lens weights https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?11736-ACTUAL-Camera-Weights&p=90468&viewfull=1#post90468

I prefer not to remove the lenses on both Travelwide or Chautauqua as that may damage the camera and/or lens.

No problem, don't need to remove - just say what the lens is in each case so that readers can look up those lenses and subtract the lens weight if they want an estimate of the body-only weight. It's obvious on your Travelwide because we can read the front ring, but we can't see any labeling on the other two.

John Earley
2-Apr-2021, 08:57
Gibillini Bellatrix
Manufacturers weight 3400g (7.5lb) actual weight 3589g (7.9lb)

4x5 Tachihara Fiel Stand Folding Field View Camera Manu. Wt unknown, actual weight 4.2lb

4x5 Shen Hao HZX45-llA Folding Field View Camera Manu. wt 2400g (5.3 lbs) actual wt 2404g (5.3lbs)