PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Photoshop experts

Jim Andrada
17-Oct-2014, 01:04
This is really strange. I have a background layer and 4 additional layers. The screen looks exactly like I want it to. When I say PRINT, the only thing that shows up in the print preview is the background layer. If I flatten the image, only the background layer shows up. If I save as jpg, only the background layer saves.

What the (expletive deleted) is going on??????

Darin Boville
17-Oct-2014, 01:11
Which version? Mac, PC? Did you quit and restart computer?

I've had a few similar things happen which I never really resolved....

--Darin

Jim Andrada
17-Oct-2014, 01:32
Photoshop CC 2014 Win 7. The other photos all work correctly, it's just this one where it acts like the layers don't exist even though all looks perfect on the screen.

I opened the image on a different computer and the same thing happens

Also happens in a different version of Photoshop.

Edit - Funny - I opened a fresh background " Image and applied similar adjustments and it prints just fine.

axs810
17-Oct-2014, 02:42
Can you post a screenshot?

Jmarmck
17-Oct-2014, 05:52
If you are using the new subscription version, contact adobe.

Jim Cole
17-Oct-2014, 07:43
Are the additional layers shown as visible?

Kirk Gittings
17-Oct-2014, 08:20
The preferences file can get corrupted. When in doubt trash the preferences file (I rename it with an x in front in case this was not the issue and reinstate it if it was not the problem) and restart. It will generate a new clean file.

Oops I didn't see your post about using the file on a different computer.

I would try saving it in a different file format and trying that (tiff, PSB PS etc.).

Jim Andrada
17-Oct-2014, 14:32
Yes - all layers are visible. The display looks perfect. Tried saving in different format(s) and it only saved the Background layer.

Jac@stafford.net
17-Oct-2014, 15:32
I just went to Photoshop to test something and got this.

NickyLai
17-Oct-2014, 23:32
This is how to reset the PhotoShop preference file:

Close PhotoShop.
Holding down the Ctrl-Shift-Alt to re-start PhotoShop.
Then click "Yes" to the message allow PhotoShop to make change.

Hope it helps.

Light Guru
18-Oct-2014, 07:02
This is how to reset the PhotoShop preference file:

Close PhotoShop.
Holding down the Ctrl-Shift-Alt to re-start PhotoShop.
Then click "Yes" to the message allow PhotoShop to make change.

Hope it helps.

He has had the same issue on multiple computers with the file so it's not the photoshop preferences.

It shouts like a corrupt file to me. Do you have a older version or back up of it that you can try?

Kirk Gittings
18-Oct-2014, 10:55
Yes - all layers are visible. The display looks perfect. Tried saving in different format(s) and it only saved the Background layer.

Sorry you have totally exceeded my knowledge and experience at this point.

ScottPhotoCo
18-Oct-2014, 14:55
Do you need the layers? Try flattening the file with all of the layers you want to see showing and save as an uncompressed tiff file.

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

Jac@stafford.net
18-Oct-2014, 15:47
Do you need the layers? Try flattening the file with all of the layers you want to see showing and save as an uncompressed tiff file.

Why lose the layers? They are very useful for later work. Oh, and TIFF saves the layers and has two lossless compressiion options. (Which reminds me that with TIFF, Photoshop has an option to discard layers during the save.)

ScottPhotoCo
18-Oct-2014, 17:55
If its a matter of have an unusable layered file or an even partially usable flattened file the I would choose the partially usable file any day.

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

Jim Andrada
18-Oct-2014, 20:59
When I flatten the file, guess what - only the background layer makes it. It's like the effects of the layers show up on the monitor, but aside from that it acts like they don't exist.

Darin Boville
19-Oct-2014, 00:06
Just for fun, have you tried opening a new file and copying the background and each layer over one by one?

--Darin

P.S. You probably already know but if you "select all "on the existing file before you choose new file it will default to those same dimensions...

dksea
19-Oct-2014, 18:13
Rereading the thread I have a question. Do other files print fine? In other words is it only a problem with that file?

Doug

Jim Andrada
22-Oct-2014, 22:37
Yup - only a problem with this file - so far.

Jac@stafford.net
22-Oct-2014, 23:15
Just for fun, have you tried opening a new file and copying the background and each layer over one by one?

File > Scripts > Export Layers to Files
*File > New
Scripts > Load Files into Stacks
then load the files just created

I'm tired. Hope I got that right.
It is worth a try.

Darin: "P.S. You probably already know but if you "select all "on the existing file before you choose new file it will default to those same dimensions... "

Usually, but not always by default with Mac PS version 5.1: instead it shows in the drop-down menu option under New as the last file name. I should zap my preferences and check, but tomorrow. (Damn, I just looked and my V5.1 thinks it is the Beta White Rabbit. I will reload PS from the CDs tomorrow.)

PhotoToyo
23-Oct-2014, 13:43
File > Scripts > Export Layers to Files
*File > New
Scripts > Load Files into Stacks
then load the files just created

From what I understand, if your file contains adjustment layers the above workflow will not function correctly. In this case, adjustment layers export as blank white files.

It sounds to me like a corrupt file. Here's what I would try:

1. Make sure background layer is active
2. Select all
3. Copy
4. File>New
5. Verify the size/resolution/workspace info is the same or choose the original file name from the "preset" menu
6. Paste
7. Drag additional layers (not background layer tho) from old file to new one (yes, you can simply drag and drop layers).
8. Save as, preferably with a different file name, do not replace the original
9. Try things now...

Jim Andrada
23-Oct-2014, 13:52
Thanks Jac

Tried it but it didn't do the job. Frustrating! It looks PERFECT on the display! Just won't print.

djdister
23-Oct-2014, 14:11
Thanks Jac

Tried it but it didn't do the job. Frustrating! It looks PERFECT on the display! Just won't print.

Can you duplicate this problem with a new file and post it for people to experiment on?

Peter Mounier
23-Oct-2014, 14:36
If they are all adjustment layers (no masks, or image layers), you can save the layer adjustments as layer presets via the adjustments palette. That being said, notice the order the layers are in, then begin saving the adjustments as presets. When that is all done, close the file and restart photoshop. To be sure, restart your computer. Then open the background image again and begin rebuilding the file by adding new layers and loading their associated presets, in the same order they were in. Then try saving again. I believe also that it's a corrupted file and the only way to save it is to start over.