PDA

View Full Version : Jobo CPP-2

LF_rookie_to_be
16-Oct-2014, 11:53
Talk about finding yourself at the right place at the right time... Here's what fell into my possession today - FOR FREE!!!

There's probably a reason why it was free...

123403 123404

BUT - it works! The first test shows that the motor rotates and the heater is operational. Lift arm was included in a box of beakers and bottles, but no extension rollers for 3010 and 3004 Expert drums I have.

And it seems to be a later model: (see next post)

LF_rookie_to_be
16-Oct-2014, 11:57

So, a couple of questions:

1) What to use for cleaning? Citric acid dissolved in warm water seems to be suggested by many, followed by gentle scrubbing with a bit of soap. Should that work fine?

2) Are black, stronger extension rollers for the roller block absolutely suggested for the 3010 and especially 3004 drums? I will probably need a full additional roller block in the tray when using 3004 drum, correct?

Thanks,
Marin

Pali K
16-Oct-2014, 19:44
Just paid 700 for one of these over the weekend and i thought i had a good deal!

ic-racer
16-Oct-2014, 20:55
The control assembly comes out after removing the black thumbscrews under the lip. Be careful as the heater coil comes up with it. Then the red tray comes off by undoing the Phillips head screws. Then you can get in there and clean all the gunk out of the water basin. Here in the USA I use a cleaner like 409 (I don't know if that is available where you live).

Catlabs should have rollers and lube for the shaft of the little white gear.

agregov
17-Oct-2014, 08:29
Congrats! You'll love using these machines. A few things, check the serial number on Catlabs site. If it's a lower number, try to keep your chemistry levels at around 500ml using the Expert drums. Do your film testing with that in mind. That will preserve your motor longer. Also, if it didn't come with a manual, I'd highly recommend it. One came with my used CPA and I found it indispensable. Looks like there is a bunch on Ebay available cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Jobo-CPP2-and-CPA2-User-manual-with-processing-hints-LATEST-VERSION-/281457034762?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418825860a

LF_rookie_to_be
17-Oct-2014, 08:53
S/N # 22862 , new-style lift with black clips and black cog.

The gunk is currently being scrubbed out with diluted hydrochloric acid (don't worry, I have thick long gloves). I tested the temperature after over an hour of heating and three different thermometers placed on different spots all showed 37.2° C at 38° C setting on the dial. Could be from the completely gunked heating coil, which I'm carefully cleaning right now.

I've read the manual online and noticed that my 3004 drum has roller marks on the joining ring in the middle of the drum, whereas the manual clearly states pushing the roller block as far to the right under the drum as possible, but NOT for the Expert drum to rotate on drum joints.

StoneNYC
17-Oct-2014, 08:59
I need one for free too, next time you find a free one pass it along ;)

LF_rookie_to_be
17-Oct-2014, 09:04
I need one for free too, next time you find a free one pass it along ;)

Having the 4300 miles distance from my neck of the woods to New York in mind? :)

StoneNYC
17-Oct-2014, 10:55
Having the 4300 miles distance from my neck of the woods to New York in mind? :)

Sure just throw real hard ;)

LF_rookie_to_be
18-Oct-2014, 09:51
Update - everything cleaned up beautifully ;) After very careful scrubbing with cca. 10% hydrochloric acid, which removed some of the heaviest deposits, I went with Jobo's recommendation: Processor Clean II. Since it's formula is C6H8O7, and that's your regular citric acid, I went to the nearest store, bought 150g (51/4 oz) of cheap citric acid, poured it into the water-filled processor and let it run at 38ēC for about nine hours. It removed all of the gunk from the heater element and most of the rest from the water basin. The temperature is now completely accurate. Now I need to find the lube for the gear and steel/rubber rollers - in the EU. Anyone knows a good source?

ic-racer
20-Oct-2014, 13:59
My CPP2's little white drive gear shaft started squeaking like it was going to fail during a big run. In an emergency I used dielectric grease and it proved to work very well. Most dielectric grease is silicone grease that resists being washed away by water.

LF_rookie_to_be
20-Oct-2014, 14:17
Thanks, I'll have that in mind if it starts squeaking big time. I'll do the first proper test when the rollers arrive from Ireland, as my only two drums I can use with the processor are two Expert drums. The 4551 drum can't be converted (with a cog lid) for use on a CPP, or at least not officially/safely.

koh303
20-Oct-2014, 14:23
Grease From EU? Rollers from Ireland?
We have all that right here...

LF_rookie_to_be
20-Oct-2014, 14:29
Well, I'm in the EU.

koh303
20-Oct-2014, 14:37
i see... well - good luck!