PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Readyloads - Film not seating properly

bob woitaszewski
1-Dec-2004, 17:20
I have a brand new Kodak Readyload holder and the problem seems to be that the "hook" (metal tab) at the end of the sheet of film is not catching properly when inserting the film into the holder. On a fresh new box of Kodak E100VS, it seems to fail to engage 8-10 times. I had examined the hook and it seems to be OK.

I've tried liftijng on the hook be I insert it into the holder, didn't work too good. I found that if I tugged on the hook sfter inserting it about 2/3 of the way into the holder then the success rate jumped to 60%.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Carl Schofield
1-Dec-2004, 17:44
I'm having a different problem with a new readyload holder and both Tmax 100 and E100VS readyloads. The clips engage OK, but it is extremely difficult to pull back the envelope to make an exposure. Almost feels like the film is stuck to the envelope.

Ralph Barker
1-Dec-2004, 19:27
It's possible that a bit of packing fluff may have gotten inside and may be interfering with the mechanism. If the Kodak holders are easily disassembled for cleaning, I'd open it up and check. Otherwise, I'd suggest elevating a little purgatory with your dealer, considering how cheap those holders are.

Michael Kadillak
1-Dec-2004, 19:34
Contact customer service at Kodak immediately, describe the difficulty in detail and the odds are that they may send you new holder or quite possibly a new box of film depending upon what they feel is the problem. Something is clearly not right as these new holders work like a champ with their readyloads. Only had one septum pull away from the envelope in numerous exposures and it was very likely my fault for being a bit excited and pulling it to hard. You are at least using Kodak film in a Kodak holder and that improves your odds of a quick and satisfactory resolution.

Cheers!

Brian Ellis
2-Dec-2004, 05:00
When the clip didn't engage in my holder it was because the clip from the first problem envelope was stuck down there without my knowledge. Your problem may not be a stuck clip but there could be something in there that is preventing the clip from grabbing. I'd examine the interior base with a flashlight very carefully, remove anything you see and try again. And in any event I'd call Kodak about the ruined film even if you can fix the holder. They will at a minimum send you new film, at least that used to be their policy when Readyloads failed., now that they're a digital company who knows.

Steve McKinney
2-Dec-2004, 17:08
Hi all,

I often have problems with Kodak Readyloads in my Polaroid 545 holder. The clip at the end of the film packet does not engage the latch at the end of the holder. The solution is to pry the clip out a little bit with a fingernail. You have to be extra careful to feel that the film is staying in the holder when you pull out the envelope.

I understand that these two products were not explicityly designed for each other but I never have this problem with Fuji's Quickloads.

Scott Atkinson
2-Dec-2004, 22:43
In July, I bought a new Readyload holder, thinking my old one, which still worked fine, might be ready to retire to a backup role. The new holder failed repeatedly on the first Sierra trip--when I'd pull the paper dark slide for an exposure, it would come right off in my hand. I went right back to the old one. When I got back to San Francisco, I took the bad holder back to Calumet, along with a couple sheets of film, and tried a second one. It didn't work, either. There's something wrong with these holders, though I don't know what it is. I'm still using the old one, no problems--and, by the way, I use it with both Kodak and Fuji films.