PDA

View Full Version : Linhof SuperTechnika V 13x18/5x7 questions

Delfi_r
15-Oct-2014, 03:10
I have a nice Linhof SuperTechnika V 13x18/5x7 from 1966 and I'm wondering if the Infinity Stops for the actual Master Technika can be used on my camera. I would use a pair to use properly my 300 mm lens along the 210 mm that came originally with the camera.

Another question: can I use a 90 mm lens with a lens flange of 97 mm (te Nikkor-SW 90 mm f/8,0) be used in the internal wide-angle lens bed?

Bob Salomon
15-Oct-2014, 06:01
Yes, the stops are the same. But why not just contact a Linhof service center and get a pair of stops?

Yes to the 90mm. But not sure that the f8 fully covers and you will need a center filter except Nikon never made them.

Delfi_r
15-Oct-2014, 07:10
Thanks for your kindly reply Bob. I'll get the inifinty stops for the 300 mm.

Linhof service centers in Spain? There is one listed in Barcelona, but you need to purchase everything that you need to fit. Infinity stops, focusing screen, fresnel lens should be purchased before you go there.

The 90/8 SW Nikkor has 235 mm at f/22 enough for some movements, and a center filter it's on my list, I'll adapt some from Rodenstock or Schneider

hiend61
15-Oct-2014, 07:13
Yes, the stops are the same. But why not just contact a Linhof service center and get a pair of stops?

Yes to the 90mm. But not sure that the f8 fully covers and you will need a center filter except Nikon never made them.

The Nikkor 90/8 will cover 5x7 with little movements 21mm/16mm, but a center filter is mandatory due to heavy fall off light. Nikon does not make any center filter but Rodenstock 67/86, Heliopan 67 or Schneider III center filters will work. When I had this lens I used the Heliopan center filter and worked well, but in 5x7, a bit of fall off remained with center filter, not a serious problem for me.

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
15-Oct-2014, 09:35
I have used a Rodenstock center filter that was made for Grandagon 75mm 4,5 and 90 mm 6,8 on my 90 mm Nikkor SW 90 mm 8 with good results !

Delfi_r
15-Oct-2014, 11:57
I'll try to locate one of those filters.

understand that anyone made for a 67 mm thread and with 86 mm on the outer end will go, but I does'nt understand the differences between Schneider III fllters (specially between B and C)

Bob Salomon
15-Oct-2014, 12:22
I'll try to locate one of those filters.

understand that anyone made for a 67 mm thread and with 86 mm on the outer end will go, but I does'nt understand the differences between Schneider III fllters (specially between B and C)

Similar to the two different 67mm Rodenstock Center Filters. In Rodenstock's case one is for the 110° coverage Apo-Grandagon 35mm, 45mm and 55mm lenses. The other is for the longer 75 and 90mm (6.8 90) lenes. They have different center densities and different exposure factors and perform properly only when used on the lenses they were designed for. For a 90mm Nikon you would use the same one as for a 90mm 6.8 Grandagon-N.

jbenedict
15-Oct-2014, 12:44
Only one thing to do and it isn't very expensive- take a couple of shots!

Take one straight on- all movements neutral. Rise, tilt or shift on the second sheet so you can see what it can do.

Develop and print and see what you have. Never know, you might like how it looks and how it covers. You might or might not need the center filter. Or you don't like it and you can make a change to try to make it something you like better.

But take those shots!

Delfi_r
15-Oct-2014, 13:40
Thanks for the advice. 90 mm on 5x7 it's a 105º coverage, and I have made photos with it and I'm pleased with the results.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3847/14351683994_f19bcd5659_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/nSd8Du)

The question is if there is enough space on the interior rail to properly focus the lens. And perhaps in other situatios the use of a center filter is more clearly needed. In color sure.

jbenedict
15-Oct-2014, 17:38
Nice shot! If there had not been the modern gear on the table, it would have been hard to know if it was recent or very old. Black and white does such a nice job in situations like this.

Kodachrome25
15-Oct-2014, 19:43
Hmmmm.....just to be clear, and I know this is steering it a slightly different direction but I have never used or needed a center filter with my Nikkor 90 F8. I assume the need only surfaces with 5x7?

Daniel Stone
15-Oct-2014, 21:01
Hmmmm.....just to be clear, and I know this is steering it a slightly different direction but I have never used or needed a center filter with my Nikkor 90 F8. I assume the need only surfaces with 5x7?

pretty much. Unless you're employing large(ish) movements to 4x5 shots, like with architectural work...

Bob Salomon
16-Oct-2014, 08:28
pretty much. Unless you're employing large(ish) movements to 4x5 shots, like with architectural work...

Or shooting large open expanses of evenly colored scenes, For instance beach or snow scenes that have sky, snow or sand stretching across the entire frame. Then, even on 45, without movements, you will see the fall-off.

But some people like the fall-off, think it is a "wide angle look" with darkened corners. Others shoot scenes that are naturally darker in the corners and sides then the central portion. They won't see the fall-off.

Some are just as happy to burn and dodge while printing and are not bothered by the fall-off.

But regardless, the fall-off is optical physics and it is always there. About 1 ⅔ stops center to edge on a common wide angle. About 1/3rd stop on a general purpose lens like a 135, 150 or 210mm Apo Sironar-S or similar from othe manufacturers.

hiend61
16-Oct-2014, 09:07
The Nikkor 90/8 will cover 5x7 with little movements 21mm/16mm, but a center filter is mandatory due to heavy fall off light. Nikon does not make any center filter but Rodenstock 67/86, Heliopan 67 or Schneider III center filters will work. When I had this lens I used the Heliopan center filter and worked well, but in 5x7, a bit of fall off remained with center filter, not a serious problem for me.

I forgot to mention that I used the mentioned lens with color slide films, mostly Velvia, and never used it in B/W. I have heard photographers shooting color and B/W negative film that they can live without center filters.