PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 lightweight

arthur berger
14-Oct-2014, 11:03
I am currently using an 8x 10 Deardorff, but at 121/2 pounds its getting a little heavy and I was thinking of getting a 9 to 91/2 pound camera. A 3 pound savings may not sound like much, but I think it could be significant. I kind of been thinking about either the Canham JMC 8x10 or the Chamonix. Everyone has nice things to say about the Chamonix, has anyone any comments about the Canham? And where does one buy a Chamonix?

Arthur

angusparker
14-Oct-2014, 12:22
Add the Ritter 8x10 to your list if you want real portability.

matthew blais
14-Oct-2014, 13:53
Contact Hugo Zhang here on the forum for a Chamonix, he is the US rep
Not sure where you are though, but he'll help

Regular Rod
14-Oct-2014, 15:27
http://www.shen-hao.com/PRODUCTS.aspx?i=224&id=n3

9.7lbs. I find it very easy to use with a wide range of focal lengths.

RR

Joe Wright
15-Oct-2014, 00:55
Chamonix website
http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/

Personally I have the triple bed Canham Field 8x10 (Wooden) but haven't had the opportunity to side-by-side compare, but find it to be a very capable camera to use in the landscape.

If the Chamonix bellows had extended out to 90cm I would have considered that more, the Toyo 810MII is on my wish list but ultimately I went with what was available to me so I could get on with making pictures.

fuegocito
15-Oct-2014, 15:10
Having gone down the weight saving route before, here are my experiences. You might shave a few pounds on the camera but once you add in the weight of the film holders, tripod...I found that difference in weight does not change my 810 shooting habits. Where I wouldn't go with the Deardorff I still won't go with any of the lighter variations, but then maybe that just me :-)

Also depending how indoctrinated you are with the Deardorff, you may want to find a way to try out the camera you think you want first before parting with your Deardorff. I sold my Deardorff before jumping into the lightweight options. One of them almost drove me mad when I am under the dark cloth trying to work the camera, my hand keep going to where the controls would be on a Deardorff and finding either lacking or it does something else. After one winter I quickly sold it and went back to Deardorff.

The Richard Ritter 810 is the lightest option out there I believe (please correct me if I am wrong), and it is definitely worth investigating if ultimate light weight is your goal. The best part is that you can call him up and chat, or better yet, take a beautiful drive up to Vermont and visit him in person.

http://www.lg4mat.net/LFcamera.html

Robert

Drew Wiley
15-Oct-2014, 15:46
I happen to use the original Phillips 8x10, which has certain features copied by Chamonix. I really like the simplified design for field use for several reasons. Its fast to
set up, it's been highly reliable, and of course, it's relatively lightweight for an 8x10, while being quite stable and wind-resistant. I really don't want more features than I need. When I do need all the bells and whistles in a view camera I use my Sinar. I save a lot of weight and gain extra stability by simply bolting the camera bed right atop the Ries platform using the standard turn knob rather than a redundant wobbly tripod head. I also have a suitable carbon fiber tripod in reserve for hypothetical old age use, and I have a good set of compact lenses, so about all that leaves to the lightweight equation is the filmholders themselves, and I don't really need very many in a daypack anyway. I have a velcro-on GG protector and pack the camera in my goosedown jacket - In other words, there are all kinds of
ways to carry a day-use 8x10 system comfortably if you take into account what you really need and what you don't, without sacrificing critical performance.

andreios
16-Oct-2014, 04:26
Personally I have the triple bed Canham Field 8x10 (Wooden) but haven't had the opportunity to side-by-side compare, but find it to be a very capable camera to use in the landscape.

If the Chamonix bellows had extended out to 90cm I would have considered that more, the Toyo 810MII is on my wish list but ultimately I went with what was available to me so I could get on with making pictures.

Joe, may I ask what tripod head do you sport there?

John Kasaian
16-Oct-2014, 07:39
I am currently using an 8x 10 Deardorff, but at 121/2 pounds its getting a little heavy and I was thinking of getting a 9 to 91/2 pound camera. A 3 pound savings may not sound like much, but I think it could be significant. I kind of been thinking about either the Canham JMC 8x10 or the Chamonix. Everyone has nice things to say about the Chamonix, has anyone any comments about the Canham? And where does one buy a Chamonix?

Arthur
Try to think of schlepping your 'dorff around as atonement for missing a day at the gym.:rolleyes:

djdister
16-Oct-2014, 07:54
Joe, may I ask what tripod head do you sport there?

It looks to me like the Manfrotto Junior Geared Head.

dodphotography
19-Oct-2014, 17:05

Lightweight... Just over 6lbs, Ritter is a beauty.

Joe Wright
20-Oct-2014, 05:30
It looks to me like the Manfrotto Junior Geared Head.

Yes, it is. Apols about the tardy response!

andreios
20-Oct-2014, 08:56
Yes, it is. Apols about the tardy response!
No worries. I thought it is that head but couldn't believe it is actually able to hold the 8x10!

William Whitaker
20-Oct-2014, 10:53
How many lenses are you schlepping? They're heavy, y'know...

Carl J
20-Oct-2014, 12:45

Lightweight... Just over 6lbs, Ritter is a beauty.

Indeed. :) What tripod/head (Ries #) is that, btw?

dodphotography
20-Oct-2014, 13:33
Indeed. :) What tripod/head (Ries #) is that, btw?

Really Right Stuff TVC 33 w/ a J250 Ries Head