PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a 24cm Heliar

ScottPhotoCo
13-Oct-2014, 17:03
Hello all. Looking for your thoughts and expertise in regard to mounting a 24cm Heliar.

I have this beautiful lens and I want to mount it into a shutter. Preferably an older shutter (ILEX, Compur etc.) as I want the roundest aperture at all stops possible. I have an ILEX No5 Universal Synchro that I can use but it is pretty huge and I'd like to be able to mount the lens/shutter to a 4x4 Deardorff board. It looks like it might just fit but if there's a smaller shutter I would definitely prefer it.

Thoughts?

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

Ari
13-Oct-2014, 17:17
Tim,
I have all my lenses mounted to Technika boards, which are slightly smaller than 4x4 inches (they are 96mm x 99mm).
This includes two Ilex 5 shutters and a Betax 5.
I'm saying this in case you decide to go with one of the larger shutters; it can be mounted to your Deardorff board.
You might need a machinist's services to slice away excess bits of the flange that overlap your board's edges.

Tracy Storer
13-Oct-2014, 17:44
I used to have a 240mm Heliar,(and hope to have one again) and felt strongly that nothing smaller than an Ilex 5 would work. The front cell is fat and deep.

Steven Tribe
14-Oct-2014, 06:03
The best choice for "shutterising" a large Heliar, up to around 1/100 sec, is a front mounted T-P "curtain" shutter. There are plenty of T-P copies around which work just a well (or better - in my experience).

Servicing these is a lot easier than large copal/compound/Ilex etc.

Illustration is of another large black lens (American) with a T-P Copy.

DrTang
14-Oct-2014, 07:28
mine is in a Compound #4 - #2

there are two #4 compound shutters and two #5's (to make matters complicated)

the Heliar fits into the WIDER throated, longer front offset one

ScottPhotoCo
14-Oct-2014, 09:08
Thanks gents! Much appreciated!

I would love to find a compound shutter for this.

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

Louis Pacilla
14-Oct-2014, 09:26
mine is in a Compound #4 - #2

there are two #4 compound shutters and two #5's (to make matters complicated)

the Heliar fits into the WIDER throated, longer front offset one

Thanks gents! Much appreciated!

I would love to find a compound shutter for this.

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

Hey Tim

It may well not be a direct fit even w/ the correct #4 Compound shutter So you may have to plan on having machine work done. Most all of the barrel lens Heliars I own/owned would not fit a shutter directly and the few shuttered Heliars I have owned would not directly fit the same size Heliar barrel . Different barrel sections & threads. It may also depend on what was originally mounted to the Compound shutter you find as well as the age of your 24 cm Heliar.

Tim Deming
15-Oct-2014, 20:38
Louis called it. The barrel machined elements wont fit into a compound 4. Another opition is a zettor shutter ( this was the "factory" option for larger Voigtlander barrel lenses) or a Luc shutter. Both of these mount on the front of the barrel, like the TP shutter Steven mentions

Cheers

Tim