PDA

View Full Version : Import taxes

macandal
13-Oct-2014, 12:17
If you win something on the auction site. The item is in Japan and, say, it ends up costing (you win the bid) $100. Is there any way to determine what the import taxes--if any--will be once the seller ships the item to the U.S.? Thanks.

jp
13-Oct-2014, 12:20
Have not seen import taxes for those types of deals. They may have some minor customs costs that are very minimal.

Steve Goldstein
13-Oct-2014, 12:48
Over the years I've purchased a number of items from outside the US - from Japan, China, Taiwan, Ecuador, Britain, Germany, and other countries - including the occasional pricey lens. In no case have I ever been hit with a customs fee. All shipments have been via the mails, perhaps the situation differs it it's coming in via UPS or Fedex. This includes both eBay and retail purchases (the latter from Robert White, a new Mamiya 7 lens and a new Gitzo tripod some years ago).

axs810
13-Oct-2014, 17:13
I've bought stuff from Japanese sellers using EMS shipping and never had a customs fee so far. Although everything I have bought from Japan has been under $250 and I've noticed on my last order months ago the seller put the price of the item a lot lower than what it actually sold for. Unless I'm calculating currency wrong...

I'm very interested in this topic too. I'm curious as to what the limit is until you get a customs fee on an item. I've tried researching it but it just makes my head spin.

Dan Fromm
13-Oct-2014, 19:32
I used to buy sheet music from Germany. Now I buy books from, mainly, Mexico, have bought camera gear from Canada, the UK, France, Belgium, Germany, and Italy. Invoices (= value declared on customs forms) ranged from a few dollars to around $600. All sent by mail, all delivered to me by USPS. So far no duty charged. Ever.

The only item I've imported that I've had to pay duty on was a car, and it came by ship. Too big and heavy to mail. A replacement overdrive came by mail, no duty.

David Karp
13-Oct-2014, 22:26
Anyone ever buy equipment from Russia to the USA? Any duty or other issues?

Dirk Rösler
14-Oct-2014, 05:55
Import duties depend on the type of item being imported and the relation of the importing country to the exporting country (think trade agreements). It's impossible to give general advice here.

That said, I have experience exporting a lot of stuff to US and never heard of anyone being charged import duties. Quite the opposite in the EU, where everything seems to be intercepted and duty charged coming from outside EU. In general, the Japan - US channel is very free and open overall.

brucetaylor
14-Oct-2014, 06:43
I have bought many photographic items from the former USSR. Small items under $1000 sent through the mail don't seem to trigger any import fees, and if they do they are minimal. I also had large items air freighted into LA and they required customs clearance fees of a few hundred dollars.

djdister
14-Oct-2014, 06:57
I bought a camera from Canada through the auction site for about $2500, and if I recall I had to pay $20 or $30 in customs fees (for delivery to the US).

Dan Fromm
14-Oct-2014, 08:19
Dan, did you pay duty to customs or a brokerage fee to a courier firm? I ask because FedEx and UPS charge brokerage fees, often absurd, for carrying in non-dutiable items.

analoguey
14-Oct-2014, 08:51
I bought a camera from Canada through the auction site for about $2500, and if I recall I had to pay $20 or $30 in customs fees (for delivery to the US).

Only 20-30$???
Wow.

I have paid that much as customs duty even on a 100$ item.
And customs in India is quite interested in what comes from the US especially.

DrTang
14-Oct-2014, 09:37
yeah - zero

analoguey
14-Oct-2014, 10:01
Dan, did you pay duty to customs or a brokerage fee to a courier firm? I ask because FedEx and UPS charge brokerage fees, often absurd, for carrying in non-dutiable items.

Yes. Thats true too. Sometimes they even pay a customs fee where nones required.

djdister
14-Oct-2014, 10:46

I'm pretty sure my payment went to US Customs, not to FedEx or UPS. It was not a brokerage fee.

David Karp
14-Oct-2014, 21:30
Thanks Bruce.