PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Portrait 405mm filter ring size?

angusparker
11-Oct-2014, 19:08
Does anyone know what size filters these lenses take?

Louis Pacilla
11-Oct-2014, 19:21
Nothing standard or a standard that I'm aware of as the front opening ID is almost 5" across and the rear cell is 4 1/2" so most likely will need gel filters . It's much easier using filters on the 305 K Portrait which takes Series IX filters.

Tracy Storer
11-Oct-2014, 21:21
I'll get out the thread pitch gauges and calipers tomorrow......but, BIG. I might tape 4" gels on the inside of the lens in a pinch.
What filters do you want to use ?

angusparker
11-Oct-2014, 23:49
I'll get out the thread pitch gauges and calipers tomorrow......but, BIG. I might tape 4" gels on the inside of the lens in a pinch.

Thanks for that. If there are threads on the back side that would be good to know as well. Standard black and white filters - orange mostly - is what I would likely use most. B+W has filters up to 122mm which is 4.8 inches so it's possible that a screw in might work. Probably on the back side.

Tracy Storer
12-Oct-2014, 10:25
OK, my 405 does not have a filter thread on the back. The front filter thread seems to be 4 13/16-36tpi.
The rear glass is about 3.75" diameter, so a 4" gel filter holder on the back is probably the best bet.

I suspect the BW filters will have a metric thread. A 122mm x 0.75mm thread MIGHT fit !

36 tpi equates to a metric pitch of 0.706mm.....don't know what thread the BW 122mm uses.

EDIT, I searched and found that the B+W 122mm filter is a 1mm pitch, so it WILL NOT fit.

Louis Pacilla
12-Oct-2014, 10:34
Does anyone know what size filters these lenses take?

Thanks for that. If there are threads on the back side that would be good to know as well. Standard black and white filters - orange mostly - is what I would likely use most. B+W has filters up to 122mm which is 4.8 inches so it's possible that a screw in might work. Probably on the back side.

OK, my 405 does not have a filter thread on the back. The front filter thread seems to be 4 13/16-36tpi.
The rear glass is about 3.75" diameter, so a 4" gel filter holder on the back is probably the best bet.

I suspect the BW filters will have a metric thread. A 122mm x 0.75mm thread MIGHT fit !

36 tpi equates to a metric pitch of 0.706mm.....don't know what thread the BW 122mm uses.

Nothing standard or a standard that I'm aware of as the front opening ID is almost 5" across and the rear cell is 4 1/2" so most likely will need gel filters . It's much easier using filters on the 305 K Portrait which takes Series IX filters.

Tracy Storer
12-Oct-2014, 11:27
I'm interested in the fact that they bothered to put threads there. Kodak may well have offered filters, or adapter rings to fit.

Where there's a thread, there's a way, even if it's one-off custom machining, most of us will reach for a roll of tape and a gel, before paying for a custom ring. (or investing the time.....I've got a lathe and could make one.)

EDIT: The B+W 122mm filters use a thread pitch of 1mm, so they will not fit the Kodak 405 lens. (a 122mm 0.75mm pitch would PROBABLY fit.)

charleymeyer
12-Oct-2014, 17:31
I have a 1951 Kodak 405mm lens that came with a #10 8X10 Century Studio Camera that was used for many years at a San Jose CA portrait studio. there also was a Cooke portrait lens which was more contemporary to the Century. The 405mm Kodak came with a 122mm Nikon L37C filter screwed into the front, presumably to keep dust out. It screws in only one fill turn. Is there such a filter size as Series X?

Tracy Storer
12-Oct-2014, 18:57
Charley, can you measure the filter thread pitch ? Just out of curiosity?

PS, my lens is from 1953

angusparker
12-Oct-2014, 20:26
Thank you everyone. You have been amazing. Got a much better idea of what I need to do. Best Angus

charleymeyer
13-Oct-2014, 11:44
Thanks for the reminder Tracy, I dug around and found my old thread guage and determined (kinda hard with my old eyes) the thread to be 35 tpi. I don't have a metric guage but the 122mm filter is slightly coarser.

Tracy Storer
13-Oct-2014, 12:41
I'll check mine again, thought it was 36, maybe it's 35.....thanks !
Metric "slightly coarser" sounds like it might be 1mm as I suspect.
OK, I don't have a 35tpi gauge in my set, the 36 looks like a real good match. The difference between 35 and 36 tpi is in the fourth decimal place, so....

charleymeyer
13-Oct-2014, 13:14
Nope, you're right, I misread print on the gauge, toldja about my eyes.. sigh

angusparker
23-Oct-2014, 17:00
Nikon 122mm filters with what I think is a 1mm thread fit perfectly on the front thread of the lens.

Tracy Storer
24-Oct-2014, 08:26
Hi Angus, That's great news! I'd love to put my thread pitch gauge on it to confirm pitch ! (1mm SHOULD be too coarse...)
Anyhow, we're both in the Bay Area, let's meet up.

angusparker
24-Oct-2014, 20:43
Hi Angus, That's great news! I'd love to put my thread pitch gauge on it to confirm pitch ! (1mm SHOULD be too coarse...)
Anyhow, we're both in the Bay Area, let's meet up.

Well I'm not sure what this Nikon filter thread pitch is but I'm assuming a metric 1mm. The proof will be in a B+W filter I'm getting next week off EBay. That's 1mm for sure. Regardless, I'd be happy to meet up. I'm in the process of completing my garage darkroom and expert input would be helpful even at this late stage.

angusparker
27-Oct-2014, 17:50
B+W filter worked fine with its 1mm thread.