PDA

View Full Version : Film Availability

ronald lamarsh
30-Nov-2004, 12:59
Just a positive note in light of the present Ilford and Forte debacles: I questioned the folks at J&C about Efke and was informed that Efke has adjusted their production to be alignment with demand so as to avoid the problems experienced by the aforementioned companies. So at the present they are quite healthy and are planning to introduce new products soon. So while we may lament the losses of some great products I think it is safe to say that there are others waiting and willing to step into the void.

Michael Kadillak
30-Nov-2004, 13:09
Great news. I look forward to what they may bring new into the market.

Sometimes we fail to remember that it as much the fault of management at companies having problems to overextend themselves financially as it is a shuffle in market with new players like Efke stepping in to challenge the old school. If it were singularly a demand issue, then we would hear about more than just a few meetings with the creditors as that is a hard thing to keep from shareholders or the investment community.

In any event the best thing we can do is what we do best - continue to support those emulsions that best fit our vision and technique and let the chips fall where they may. We will be just fine.

Cheers!

Richard Littlewood
30-Nov-2004, 13:13
Talking to someone at Silverprint here in England a few days ago because I was a bit concerned that in the long term Ilford and Forte traditional products might vanish. This chap said chances are both companies will 'rationalize' - whatever that may mean, and scale down to continue to make 'core' products - film and paper. So to all you large format types out there - dont write Ilford or Forte off just yet - put an order in for some film/paper!

Charles Hohenstein
30-Nov-2004, 13:21
I'm very curious as to what new products Efke might bring out. Wouldn't it be great if they could make some of the films which the major film manufacturers have given up as unprofitable? But I guess it would make no sense for them to make APX-25 under license from Agfa when they have a 25 speed film of their own.

Eric Woodbury
30-Nov-2004, 19:03
I'm supporting Ilford. Just loaded up on 35mm, 120, 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 film.

Happy shooting.

Nick_3536
30-Nov-2004, 21:45
The J&C coming soon section on the website shows Efke 70mm. That might be the only B&W 70mm available now.

David A. Goldfarb
1-Dec-2004, 11:17
J&C reports good news from Forte--

"The receivers at Forte have allowed production to continue based on a revaluation of the price structure of their products. We have been invited to place orders for the next 6 months. New production of all items should be available early next year."

From this thread on APUG--

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10045&page=2&pp=10 (http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10045&page=2&pp=10)

ISO 2
1-Dec-2004, 16:49
Efke 70mm film??!! This will be absolutely amazing - dig out the old bulk film back and shoot enough frames to make the latest digicam look incontinent.

Enough of the two-timing. Another loyal wave of support for Ilford film; I notice that the expiry dates of the latest batch of film I have is all projected into 2006. But I do like Efke 25......great to have a wide choice of film (still) - better make the most of it.