PDA

View Full Version : Kodak / Fuji 10"x12" x-ray film dimensions?

DannL
10-Oct-2014, 20:25
Does anyone know if the Kodak / Fuji 10x12in x-ray films are exactly 10 inches x 12 inches, or do they actually measure something different? My supplier of these films is not responding to my inquiries.

10x12 in. Carestream / Kodak X-Ray Film CSG1– Green
10x12 in. Fuji X-Ray Film HR-HA High Speed Green Film

Tin Can
10-Oct-2014, 20:43
I have not been able to get any X-Ray supplier to talk to me. I suppose they are all depressed and could care less about the tiny amounts we use.

Don't you really want to know if it fits ASNI holders?

8X10, 11x14 and 14x17 does. I know because I have used all those sizes. Lee Smathers reported 7x17 did not fit his holders as it was actually 7x17 and not the 1/16th or so like the undersize of the 3 sizes I mention.

If 10x12 does not fit, I have had good luck trimming tiny slices of misscut X-ray as I cut 14x17 and 7x17 down to several formats.

Maybe just buy a box and try it? And let us know? ZZ medical is my source of choice.

Good luck :)

DannL
10-Oct-2014, 21:07
Thanks Randy. I also use ZZ Medical. I recall the 8x10 from Kodak did fit my old wooden film holders. But I didn't keep that work, and don't have a sheet to measure dimensions. The 10x12 will go into British-made book-style plate holders. Exactly 10x12 would do the job. I really don't want anything much smaller, since should the film slip, and should it fall from it's proper position in the holder, it could prevent the darkside from sliding back in. I have already seen this with paper negatives that where cut too small.

Tin Can
10-Oct-2014, 21:16
Thanks Randy. I also use ZZ Medical. I recall the 8x10 from Kodak did fit my old wooden film holders. But I didn't keep that work, and don't have a sheet to measure dimensions. The 10x12 will go into British-made book-style plate holders. Exactly 10x12 would do the job. I really don't want anything much smaller, since should the film slip, and should it fall from it's proper position in the holder, it could prevent the darkside from sliding back in. I have already seen this with paper negatives that where cut too small.

Then I would cut to size from 11x14. I find cutting it is very easy, compared to cutting 'real' film in total darkness.

DannL
18-Oct-2014, 21:34
Just as I had feared. The 10x12 Fuji HR-U film is not actually 10"x12". It actually comes to about 9-29/32" x 11-29/32". That gap alone is plenty to allow the film to fall through the opening of the plate holder, on one side or the other. I'll see if I can make a suitable mask. But, no loss. Now I'll have plenty of film to cut for 4x5, Half-plate, 5x7 and 8x10.

Last minute update . . . I just now made some measurements and found that the surface of a plate in a holder is exactly 2mm closer to the lens flange than the surface of the focus screen. That information may be very useful in resolving this problem.

Tin Can
19-Oct-2014, 00:54
Just as I had feared. The 10x12 Fuji HR-U film is not actually 10"x12". It actually comes to about 9-29/32" x 11-29/32". That gap alone is plenty to allow the film to fall through the opening of the plate holder, on one side or the other. I'll see if I can make a suitable mask. But, no loss. Now I'll have plenty of film to cut for 4x5, Half-plate, 5x7 and 8x10.

Last minute update . . . I just now made some measurements and found that the surface of a plate in a holder is exactly 2mm closer to the lens flange than the surface of the focus screen. That information may be very useful in resolving this problem.

Good to know. I don't have any 10x12 plate or film holders, but I do have a 10x12 back for my studio Deardorff.

Maybe I will find a holder or 2 one day. At the right price...

Thanks for the update!

DannL
19-Oct-2014, 09:11
Good to know. I don't have any 10x12 plate or film holders, but I do have a 10x12 back for my studio Deardorff.

Maybe I will find a holder or 2 one day. At the right price...

Thanks for the update!

The "right price" is interesting when referring to these holders. When I bought this camera outfit a month ago I researched what a 10x12 mahogany plate holder might fetch on eBay, just in case I might need more some day. The outfit I had purchased came with five holders. I was very surprised to see a holder of the same make had sold for several hundred. At that price I guess I won't be needing more holders after all. ;-)