PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Books

Struan Gray
29-Nov-2004, 14:23
1) Which photographic book do you most want Santa to drop in your stocking?

2) Which one would you most like to give to all your photographer friends?

Emmanuel BIGLER
29-Nov-2004, 14:45
The last book by Jack Dykinga "Arizona" is superb. How could the author find so many flowers in Arizona ? ;-);-);-)

Jack Dykinga's Arizona
by Jack Dykinga, Charles Bowden, Jack W. Dykinga
Westcliffe Publishers (November 1, 2004) ISBN: 1565794990

For those who prefer technical things to nice flowers and red rocks, the book "Way beyond Monochrome" is a suuperb technical reference on B&W printing.
"Way beyond Monochrome" by Ralph W Lambrecht and Chris Woodhouse,
Fountain Press. ISBN 0 86343 354 5

tim atherton
29-Nov-2004, 15:36
1) Which photographic book do you most want Santa to drop in your stocking?

either Topographics. Photographs from 1844 to the Present.

or

Toshio Shibata - Landscape (or Dam...)

2) Which one would you most like to give to all your photographer friends?

Stick and Stones - Lee Friedlander. Brilliant and complex

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
29-Nov-2004, 16:34
1) If santa would be so nice as to drop the new edition of an american classic; American Prospects
by Joel Sternfeld, republished this year by STEIDL Germany, into my stocking. I would like to own a
better printed and bound copy of my favorite book.

2) I return I would give the biography of Bill Brandt by Paul Delany to a photographer friend.
This is a very intresting book about this great "british" photographer and his misterious life.

Mike Lopez
29-Nov-2004, 18:37
I want "Life Work," the new Edward Weston book by Lodima Press.

I would GIVE Weston's "Daybooks" to any photographer. Or Michael Smith's and Paula Chamlee's "Tuscany: Wandering the Back Roads" books.

Mark Sawyer
29-Nov-2004, 23:34
Oh, I dunno... maybe an original run of Stieglitz' "Camera Work" would do...

Struan Gray
30-Nov-2004, 03:38
Oh Lord, the lust, the lust....

Here are my answers:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp 1) Frederick Sommer, 1939-1962 Photographs

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp 2) Bas Princen, Artificial Arcadia

Keep 'em coming.

Chad Jarvis
30-Nov-2004, 06:45
Double Exposure (http://www.doubleexposureonline.com) Volume I would be a great gift. Text printed in letterpress and photographic works entirely dedicated to historical processes.

Bill_1856
30-Nov-2004, 07:11
Paula Chanlee's "Tuscany" Special Edition with an original 5x7 print of plate #16.

Walter Foscari
30-Nov-2004, 07:24
Basilico's "Porti di mare".

tim atherton
30-Nov-2004, 13:43
"Basilico's "Porti di mare"."

Excellent choice Walter! One of my favourites (fond a nice copy on ABE) - that maybe followed by l'esperienza dei luoghi and Bord de Mer

Unfortuantley some of the more recent books by Thames and Hudson etc have had really bad printing imo

paulr
30-Nov-2004, 16:34
Either of Robert Adams' little books ... Beauty in Photography or Why People Photograph ... would make great stocking stuffers for anyone who really cares about seeing.

I'd ask for Stephen Shore's new edition of Uncommon Places, but my girlfriend just bought it for me as a surprise.

I'd love Szarkowsky and Maria Hamburg's giant set of books on Atget. But it's doubtful anyone loves me THAT much.

Are there any great books of Timothy O'Sullivan's work? I've been revisiting it lately, but only have a few reproductions here and there.

tim atherton
30-Nov-2004, 16:57
What about AMrtin parr & Chris Boot's first volume tome on the photobook... a must for any book nut, surely

"Are there any great books of Timothy O'Sullivan's work? I've been revisiting it lately, but only have a few reproductions here and there."

In slightly similar vein I've just been reading a very interesting book on Francis Frith, as well as another on the Victorian era "topographic" photographers in Egypt and Palestine - quite fascinating

"American Prospects by Joel Sternfeld" - the new edition is both nicely printed and (I'll have to double check) has addtional photographs