PDA

View Full Version : New improved doofus filmholder maneuver (ULF)

CXC
29-Nov-2004, 12:02
I've never had any trouble loading smaller filmholders, but my recently acquired, heavily worn 12x20 holder let me do something I never would have guessed was possible.

When re-inserting the darkslide, within the first inch I felt resistance and heard an ominous little popping sound. The slide went all the way in but for about the last inch. After a couple of withdrawals and re-insertions, I resorted to forcing it in the last inch, and it seemed seated correctly. I pulled the holder out of the camera only to find that the film was lying loose, in the bellows, and the flap was all the way open. D'oh!

Might the worn holder be partially to blame for this? In particular, the corners of the slide are very worn down. Before I spend the big dough on a new holder (no more used ones for me), I'd like to know if I can expect it to work better. If it is entirely my fault, how did it happen? Yes, I always feel for the rails, to make sure the film is under them, before closing the slide. Though I don't rule out a screw-up on my part.

Finally, any advice on how to recover, should I hear that popping sound again?

Yours in stupidity,

sanking
29-Nov-2004, 12:28
Most ULF holders have a small groove at the top part of the holder (near the point where you insert the dark slide) under which the film should be pushed. This holds it down at that point, and the flap holds it down at the other end. Failure to push the film under the groove is one of the reasons I can think of to explain why your film came out of the holder. That is not the only reason, of course, but the most likely one in my experience. So it is not enought just to have the film under the slots on the side but also under the groove at the top of the holder.

CXC
29-Nov-2004, 12:54
Thanks Sandy, that's an excellent answer, hopefully it will solve my situation.

Mike Cockerham
29-Nov-2004, 21:17
I have heard that same sound it is very disappointing to here. I have found out that as I load my holder I make sure that the film is under the grooves on the sides, but I have found out the hard way that sometimes the film will pop out at the other end. So I now run my finger down both sides after loading to make sure everything is in place. If not I can sometimes get the film to pop back into place without having to remove it. Also if your holders are older plate holders you do not have these grooves, you will need to use repositionable tape to hold things in place.