PDA

View Full Version : How to store and transport Sinar f 8x10 correct way?

Heinakenka
3-Oct-2014, 23:52
Hi,
I just bought Sinar f 8x10. Just the camera so I have no case for it.
Now I am thinking what kind of case would be best.

So what is the correct way to store / transport Sinar?
Can I just pile all parts on top of each other in one pile? That would take least space. In this I am worried about the bellow if that can be "squeesed" under the front part for long periods in storage.
Or should I put back and front laying next to each other? This requires quite big case...

br, Hannu

Bruce Barlow
4-Oct-2014, 03:43
I have an 8x10 Norma. When I'm in the car, using it, I nest it in the big dark cloth so it doesn't pitch around (if it does, I have bigger problems than just the camera pitching around!)

I can compress the standards and fit it upside-down in a plastic milk crate designed to hold 4 gallons of milk. The plastic document bins available at office supply stores work, too. That would be more stable than the nest in the car. At the moment, it is dismantled, with the parts stored in the bin.

I have never transported it, and so have never really used the big Sinar hard case that came with the camera when I bought it. These can be found, from time-to-time, for sale. I suspect one made for a Norma 8x10 would work with yours.

I don't think there's an issue with keeping the bellows compressed for long periods of time.

Peter Lewin
4-Oct-2014, 05:29
The 4x5 Sinar F was designed to be folded for transport, the "F" meant "Field." I owned a 4x5 "F" and assume the 8x10 is designed the same way. The camera was designed so that you would unclip the bellows from the front standard, fold the front standard down parallel to the rail, then raise the rear standard just enough so that you could fold it over the front standard, again parallel to the rail. The bellows would be compressed between the two standards, and you could remove whatever sections of extension rail were now "freed up." The "pancaked" camera was now relatively protected and took up less volume than a typical monorail in transit. The process takes effectively the same time as it does to fold up a typical folding field camera, and equally the same to get it set up for use.

I used to carry mine around, folded, in a backpack. Of course an 8x10 is larger, it would need a bigger pack. In terms of storage at home, anything that keeps dust off should do the trick.

Jerry Bodine
4-Oct-2014, 12:42
However you decide to resolve the carry system, it'd be a good idea to have a rectangular piece of polycarbonate plastic cut that fits well in the recess behind the groundglass to protect it from breakage. That's what I've done with all three formats of my Normas.

Peter De Smidt
4-Oct-2014, 12:50
There were cases that held the camera upside down, suspended by the rail. I used one from Lightware for my 8x10 Sinar P.

Steven Tribe
4-Oct-2014, 14:05
There were cases that held the camera upside down, suspended by the rail.

Yes, this is what I have (Norma era). If you don't want/can't get the standard cases from Sinar, it would not be difficult to mount side supports in a plain box, chosen to match the sinar rail length you use most. I am talking about car transport - not cycle or hiking.

Timothy Blomquist
4-Oct-2014, 15:19
Tenba makes a 4x5 shipping case that I use with my Sinar P. It uses internal dividers with U shaped cuts to suspend the camera by the rail. I too have a Sinar f1 8x10 and I have considered taking exact measurements, and have Tenba make a custom case for it. It would be based on their existing 4x5 design, just larger. They call it the Air Case. Their website indicates they will do custom fabrication.

http://www.tenba.com/Products/Transport-Air-Case-Topload-4x5-View-Camera-Medium-Lighting-Case.aspx

Willie
4-Oct-2014, 17:24
Why not get a Pelican case with padding so you can break the camera down and transport like luggage?

Sergio
4-Oct-2014, 22:05
Hi, see this : http://www.plaber.com/us/index.htm

Heinakenka
4-Oct-2014, 23:28
Thanks for the ideas :)
Mainly I am concern about the storage. I do not have the space to keep the camera assempled on a tripod all the time so I have to figure out safe way to store it.
I do have a old Samsonite Oyster luckage where it fits but only as a "pile". Oyester is strong as Pelicase so it would be perfect with little padding but not sure if it is ok to keep the bellows under pressure for long times. It would be without the rail so all the weight of the front would be on the bellows. But like Bruce was saying there should not be any problems.
I will sent question to Sinar so lets see what they say.

H.

ps. does anyone know how to find out the age of the camera?

Steven Tribe
5-Oct-2014, 01:10
Date is usually stamped as (19)XY underneath the standards - on a small plate, half concealed and near the ends of the standard. Can also be an "M" on one of these ends.

Heinakenka
8-Oct-2014, 01:51
Hi,
I did ask from Sinar and this is how they answered:

Thank you for your e-mail.
We do not recommend to store the camera in parts on one pile as we cannot exclude that this kind of storage will cause scratches or will cause damage on the camera when the pressure on several part is too strong.
If you store the camera in parts we would recommend to store the parts next to each other.
Another way would be to store the camera assembled on a tripod. Using a dust-cover helps to keep the camera clean.
Cases are a safe way to store the camera as well.

We hope we could help you to answer your inquiry.

Please do not hesitate to contact us, if you have further questions.

Dirk Rösler
9-Oct-2014, 05:06
There were cases that held the camera upside down, suspended by the rail. I used one from Lightware for my 8x10 Sinar P.

I also use a Lightware case, camera sideways on a small 6 in rail. Needed some cutting out of the divider, but works great and I can put 3 + 3 holders each side of the camera, too